Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
....I can't afford Photoshop. And realistically I don't need even half the features of Photoshop. I would really like to see an updated version of Photoshop Elements for Mac.

You and a million others.

I've asked the question several times on photography related forums: "If you are a photographer what features in Photoshop do you use that are not present in Elements?" So far the answer is "very little to nothing", but mostly "nothing". My bet is that 99% of the people who want to process images from their digital camer would be best served by PSE. A native PSE will be a bigger deal as most simple can't justify the cost of CS3.

I will buy CS3 because I can get it for the upgrade price but if not for that I'd go with the combination of Aperture and PSE. but for most people iPhoto/PSE makes the best setup.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
How is this different from the way that Apple cripples the systems that most people buy?

(No ExpressCard or lighted keyboard on MacBook, few options (e.g. good graphics) for iMac, ...)

Macbooks aren't crippled. Crippled would mean that the features are there but locked down. There's no express card slot hiding under the shell of my macbook, nor are there lights that no one can see in the keyboard. But I still have a superdrive, nice display, great processor, identical bundled software and the exact same OS as standard, the exact same airport extreme card, bluetooth, the iSight camera, the same magsafe adapter, the same IR port for Front Row, and not to mention better battery life. It's also $500 to $900 cheaper in standard spec. = /

Lots of shareware provides features that are limited until you buy the key to unlock its features. VisualHub limits the size of movies you can convert until you purchase the product key. Many other programs are made this way.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Damn Adobe and their market domination, they charge whatever they please, and we pay for it. :p

Not really. The shiver me timbers and a bottle of rum option is always available if they price it too high. I've been told that's partly why they created PS Elements - to offer a legal option to people who couldn't afford the full suite (and get their money).

I suspect 90% of the stuff in PS is relatively cheap to create, or has already paid for itself in older versions. That's what went into PSE. The remaining 10% is probably where the real money and hard professional effort went into, and is being kept for the full CS.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The real question is why does Microsoft rip off their customers by severely crippling the versions that most people buy?
Ever hear people complain Macs are too expensive compared to Dell or whoever? Having a useless bottom end product allows you to advertise on low price while selling higher price product.
They said the feature was to be added to "CS3". They did not say it would be in Photoshop. CS3 is a suite of applications.
Um... Click the link...
In professional movies, one common file format is just a directory filled with still images where the filename is the frame number. Typically still images are scanned from film at 2K or even 4K resolution (That's 2 or 4k pixels across the long edge of the frame) One common thing you do with a PS like tool is "dust busting" removing srtaches and dust from the scan. Or maybe yu "clone out" a utility pole or wire in a background. Very non-exotic "special effects". Lot's of uses for frame at a time painting
That's why I figured frame editing makes sense in Photoshop but would be much nicer if the video app handled it and propagated the changes forward in time...
How is this different from the way that Apple cripples the systems that most people buy?

(No ExpressCard or lighted keyboard on MacBook, few options (e.g. good graphics) for iMac, ...)
Oh dear... Not having a lighted keyboard is now considered crippled?! How pampered we've become...

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Is ps3 extended delivers, with a FCP extreme machine you could match an infern anyday. Imagine being able to open a 4K file ,paint in photoshop and just play it in real time. Photoshop tools are so much better than any compositor out there...

NICE:D

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Well, it's a kind of funny comparison when 95% of the world is expected to run Winblows, and MS just screws up with such a ridiculous marketing...besides, it's absurd to have software that cannot be run on the same version of that OS, even if you have different offers for consumer/"pro" people...Vista should be Vista, period.

And since when is the lack of ExpressCard or lighted keyboard crippling a Mac? :rolleyes:

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I wish they'd just include the extra stuff in the standard photoshop, rather than charging more for stuff that should be included with the ~$500 price tag.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
And since when is the lack of ExpressCard or lighted keyboard crippling a Mac? :rolleyes:
I'll withdraw the "lighted keyboard" from the crippling claim, that's a luxury frill that is good for differentiating the higher end.

Not having any expansion slots, though, is a crippling issue for many. The cheapest $599 Dell laptop has an ExpressCard slot. In the rest of the Intel world, it's mainly the super small/light systems that might be missing an expansion slot.

How many readers of this forum got a MacBook Pro solely because the MacBook didn't have a slot?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88364

"Ok I can tell you for certain what is in the Vista Ultimate Upgrade box, because I have one in my hand. It states quite clearly that it contains 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's"​

Ok, thats not whats been reported in lots of other places. I guess thats only the retail box though, given the OEM versions you can buy them seperately. Good for MS putting them both in the retail box. :D

Is OS X crippleware in your mind then, since it doesn't contain all the features of OS X Server? :eek:

If not, then when is it OK to charge more for additional features, and when is it "rip off crippleware"? ¹

Apple and Microsoft are following very similar practices here, but the "Apple good, Microsoft bad" mentality is really causing some posts with tortured logic...

¹ Answer: "OK when Apple does it, rip-off when Microsoft does it"

No, I'm not stupid and I'm well aware of the similarities, but I draw the line before it gets to the extent that it is in Vista, as do most people I've spoken to about it. (mostly XP using non-mac users) Not including server features in a consumer OS makes some sense, as keeping things simple is part of the Apple mindset. Having 3+ different versions of a consumer OS *does* seem stupid, and will only confuse consumers.

I don't have a "MS=bad" mentality at all. Most people don't want or need the extra server features in a normal OS, and the distinction between the 2 versions is very clear. Is there a good reason for MS to cut out functionality? it seems crippled for no good reason. Why the hell would a business user want to *not* be able to "burn DVDs easily" - this is rudimentary stuff that's supposed to be the core of the 'vista experience'. (thats just one example of many) They *can* charge more for bells and whistles (ultimate edition) so they do. I find that v different to the distinction between server/consumer editions.

At least with XP you had what is really one OS (from an end user perspective), the difference between pro/home being admin & geeky stuff. The big gaping holes in some editions of Vista mean some people's vista is lame whilst others is pretty nice. That strikes me as a massive step backwards.

PS: I got a macbook because i didnt need the expresscard slot. ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
"business" is not your neighborhood dentist's office

Why the hell would a business user want to *not* be able to "burn DVDs easily" - this is rudimentary stuff that's supposed to be the core of the 'vista experience'.

You miss the point of what the Vista Business edition is all about.

It has *nothing* to do with the *user*.

It's about central IT management of the company-owned endpoints. Where "endpoints" is in the thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands. (My company's IT department supports about 40,000 PCs for about 25K users. We got a company-wide email today from IT, saying "Please close your applications and log off at the end of the day - IT will install the Daylight Savings Time updates and reboot your computer during the early morning".)

"Burn a DVD" ??? IT doesn't even want you to be able to read a CD - so the DVD drive can be disabled remotely if that's what IT policy requires.

USB drives give IT departments nightmares - plug your portable music player into the USB port, and it'll be ignored because IT policy has disabled USB storage class devices. They allow USB HID class devices, so your keyboard and mouse will work fine.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Bull. Let's see a link - when I open my Sunday paper, every computer under 500 bucks (and that is a LOT of computers) runs Windows Vista Basic.

Do you know how much memory those PC's run? I see them ever day in my work. 256-512MB. If you think these basics systems are going to ship with 1GB you are delusional. Yes the CPU and HD will be fine. Hell the GPU will handle the basics. Its all about the RAM in these things. Again any system running basic wouldn't run Photoshop to begin with. And anyone who is willing to spend more on the photo software then their computer.........

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You miss the point of what the Vista Business edition is all about.
It has *nothing* to do with the *user*.

From MS's vista page:
"Windows Vista Business is the first edition of Windows designed specifically to meet the needs of small businesses."

If its all to do with admin and big deployment, then why not just let the admin disable those features, rather than cutting functionality which *could* be helpful to the end users out?* It just means some companies will be forced into paying more for crazy "non-business" versions because they need/want something silly from a better version. When i first read the version comparison chart i was disgusted tbh.

A lot of home based business users will likely buy business edition because its the best value for feature-set. I thought the "enterprise edition" is for giant companies. The business version is sold as consumer software in highstreet shops in a big shiny blue box.. Wouldn't MS just sell it direct to businesses like they do the enterprise version..? Why would a retail box even need to exist? I think the loads of versions thing is crazy tbh. People "got" the XP tier system, and it never felt like you were getting short-changed.

Oh, and apple sell you a 5 mac license for not much more than a 1 machine license. MS don't even come close to that.. I wish they did, as I'd like to upgrade 3 windows installations at home.. But anything less than Business Edition and Vista thinks it would be a *downgrade* so won't allow it, and Business has chunks of functionality missing. Even at OEM prices 3 copies of Premium sucks.. So, yeah from my perspective on this MS do seem excessively money-grabbing.

And this still has nothing to do with Adobe CS3, hehe. Sorry.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
they wont let you remember. Come april or may your "ticking time bomb" software will no longer work. we all will be forced to conform. :(

PSST!! Just set the date back on your computer! Thats what I have been doing with Lightrom whilst I wait eagerly for a large brown truck to appear with an Adobe box for me

I really can't wait until the 27th to see what is actually included, what the new stuff is, and what the prices are. I have been waiting quite a while to upgrade my stuff, and with my new business, I'm going to wait until everything comes out, and in one fell swoop get a Mac Pro, CS3, and either Final Cut Studio or Premier!

I'll be the poorest new bid-ness owner of all time!

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I'm still using Photoshop Elements 3 on a PC-I see no reason to upgrade to v 5.0. And I wouldn't buy a copy for my Mac until it's a UB like Photoshop CS3

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006

"most people" don't need (or buy) those features.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I am guessing one of the big 3D companies has gotten Adobe to build in better 3d functionality,plus some extra 2d multi pass compositing abilities....maybe 32 bit layers?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally Posted by AidenShaw

(No ExpressCard or lighted keyboard on MacBook, few options (e.g. good graphics) for iMac, ...)​

"most people" don't need (or buy) those features.

I'm *defending* the practice of market segmentation by tiering features.... Both Apple and Microsoft do this.

Many people don't need or want the full-blown Windows Media Center - Microsoft makes it possible for them to pay less for a version of Vista without that feature.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I know this question has already been asked somewhere else on these boards, but I can't really find it..but....

Does anyone know if this new CS3 suite will contain Dreamweaver and Flash? I haven't seen anything official on this, but it seems like it would make sense.
Also, I've read that the new illustrator is supposed to have great integration with flash, but if they aren't updating flash in this release, that wouldn't make much sense, so I'm guessing the answer is yes..but..I dont know.

I have Studio MX right now, and I am looking to upgrade to 8, but I don't want to go out and spend the money on 8 if 9 is about to come out, even if it is a month or so.

Unfortunately I don't think merging CS3 with Studio makes any sense. Studio is really a separate package. Many, many, I'd guestimate the majority, who want Photoshop and Illustrator don't want Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks. And if the packages were merged the price for CS3 would go through the roof.

I say unfortunately, because the core of my work packages wise is in CS2 & Studio 8. And a merger would mean Studio as a Universal Binary right with CS3. I'm really wanting a Mac Pro but have heard they are considerably crap at running Flash 8 through Rosetta. With comments like "at least Photoshop through Rosetta works". Wish I could find more info on how well Studio 8 works through Rosetta.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I hope the extended edition will have an "Educational pricing" option. I'm a Multimedia major and I can see some value in this.

I'm curiouse to see how many flavors of the "CS3 Suite" there will be and what each of them will/won't have included.

Here's to wishing for some CS3 Ultimate edition package, for 299 Education price :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.