Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Universal) Preview

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
46,842
8,982


As previously reported, Adobe's Vice Presdent offered a "quick look" at Photoshop CS3 running on an Intel Mac at the Photoshop World keynote last week.

Few details of the demo are available, and Appleinsider reports that the upcoming Universal-Binary revision of Adobe's Photoshop (code-named "Red Pill") is expected in the spring of 2007. While no new features were revealed, it did show that Adobe had successfully ported Photoshop to the Intel Mac.

In February, Adobe stated that the Intel-transition for Photoshop would be delayed until the next major revisions of their software.
 

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
486
4
Upstate NY
skoker said:
Wee! No reason for me to hang onto my iBook anymore!
From Apples Sales guys they say under rosetta Photoshop runs well. (Slower then native) but at the same speed if not faster then PPC (Espectially the G4)
 

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
866
0
Clearwater, FL
jellomizer said:
From Apples Sales guys they say under rosetta Photoshop runs well. (Slower then native) but at the same speed if not faster then PPC (Espectially the G4)
Apple sales guy.


It runs ok, but no faster than a G4.
 

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
1,275
527
Rewrite

I'm HOPING they used this opportunity to rewrite everything and making the apps lean instead of just porting over more than 15 years worth of code.
 

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
872
208
California
Thank goodness! I am hooked on Adobe's LightroomBETA but their third incarnation was a major buzz kill. New features are cool, but it hogs all of my memory and after a few minutes my RAM is saturated and it doesn't dump. Hopefully the final version will fix this. As for now, I am starting to appreciate Aperture, so come on Apple!
 

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
1,275
527
jellomizer said:
From Apples Sales guys they say under rosetta Photoshop runs well. (Slower then native) but at the same speed if not faster then PPC (Espectially the G4)
Uhhhh... Intel Photoshop wouldn't run under Rosetta.
 

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
587
0
NYC
bdkennedy1 said:
I'm HOPING they used this opportunity to rewrite everything and making the apps lean instead of just porting over more than 15 years worth of code.
Exactly. I'd pay the full retail (vs. the upgrade) just to have a nice, lean set of Adobe apps.
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,511
8
Behind the lens
or perhaps keep the navigational shortcuts between:

photoshop
illustrator
indesign

the same.

I hate having command-scroll move the workspace horizontally in one app, but ZOOM in/out in another.

I mean, they made EACH of the programs, I hate having to remember, oh yeah im in AI now, cant use option to scroll....
 

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
81
0
A little dissappointed. Adobe's website indicates thay are takeing "pre-orders" for Acrobat 8 which are expected to ship mid November. That's 2 months away at this point. To me this means it is unlikely that we'll see CS3 in January 2007; more likely is: Adobe will start taking "pre-orders" March 31, 2007 with expected shipping after Memorial Day. Having set my sights that low, anything sooner will be a bonus.
 

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
zwida said:
Exactly. I'd pay the full retail (vs. the upgrade) just to have a nice, lean set of Adobe apps.
Does anyone else remember carrying around Photoshop on a floppy disk?!?

Crazy but true.
 

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
7,834
1,130
The Netherlands
So, spring 2007 it still is then?
Nice race:
- Vista
- Leopard
- CS 3

That still is half a year away. Early Quad G5 owners who use Adobe's CS for a living probably have made the best investment ever! ;)

Great time to wait for the Octo Core Mac Pro! :D

2007 is going to be one hell of a year, if you ask me!! :cool:
 

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
3,268
3,969
La Jolla, CA
MacsRgr8 said:
So, spring 2007 it still is then?
Nice race:
- Vista
- Leopard
- CS 3

That still is half a year away. Early Quad G5 owners who use Adobe's CS for a living probably have made the best investment ever! ;)

Great time to wait for the Octo Core Mac Pro! :D

2007 is going to be one hell of a year, if you ask me!! :cool:
I am with you man!
I am so happy I bought my Quad when it was launched. Now the Octo-core is the way to go. I just hope get some decend money on ebay when I sell it.:) :D
 

uncle_sam_ie

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2005
47
0
This news kind of kills John C Dvorak's claim that Apple is going to dump OS X for Windows. Because, wasn't Adobe not bringing out a universal binary straight away one of his arguments for Apple dumping OS X.
 

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
276
0
Seattle, WA
uncle_sam_ie said:
This news kind of kills John C Dvorak's claim that Apple is going to dump OS X for Windows. Because, wasn't Adobe not bringing out a universal binary straight away one of his arguments for Apple dumping OS X.

I think the fact that the claim was made by John C Dvorak is what killed the claim.

I've met sandwiches with a better grasp on reality than Dvorak.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
unfaded said:
I think the fact that the claim was made by John C Dvorak is what killed the claim.
What, the fact that it's an utterly idiotic claim is not itself sufficient? :eek: :eek:

I guess if a five year old tells you mud tastes good, you have two good reasons to not eat mud. ;)
 

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
197
0
Lightroom Photoshop

If Adobe can bring the best features and interface of Lightroom to photoshop, sort out the memory issues they should be onto a winner.
Sooner rather than later:D