Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

092341-adobe_cs_5_5_box_family.jpg

Following on last month's announcement, Adobe today officially released Creative Suite 5.5, bringing a number of enhancements to the company's flagship multimedia applications.
Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 delivers important advances in HTML5 and Flash authoring, enabling designers and developers to create compelling content and applications. Creative Suite 5.5 products also feature significant innovation in the areas of video production and editing. Finally, Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 delivers exciting new capabilities in the exploding area of digital publishing. With Creative Suite 5.5 content authors worldwide can deliver high-impact work to multiple platforms, operating systems, Web browsers, smartphones and tablets - including Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS, and Apple iOS devices.
Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 is available in a variety of versions packaging various component applications together to meet users' needs, and upgrades from earlier version of Creative Suite (including CS5) are available at discounted prices.

As noted by Adobe's John Nack, Adobe has also pushed out a free Photoshop 12.0.4 update for existing Creative Suite 5 users, bringing support for Adobe's new iPad apps designed to extend the functionality of Photoshop.
The 12.0.4 update enables specially designed apps on tablets, smartphones, and PCs to communicate with and control interaction with Photoshop CS5 (Located in the File menu: Remote Connections). Now you can be creative on other devices and instantly incorporate what you create into Photoshop. You must install the 12.0.4 update to activate a remote connection between Photoshop CS5 and any apps that Adobe or third-party developers create to interact with Photoshop. For example, Photoshop CS5 must be updated to 12.0.4 to interact with three new iPad apps that Adobe has designed to work with it - Adobe Nav, Adobe Color Lava, and Adobe Eazel. Available on the App Store.
Those three apps, Eazel, Nav, and Color Lava, are not yet available in the App Store, but should presumably appear relatively soon.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Creative Suite 5.5, Adds Support for iPad Apps to Photoshop CS5

Last edited by a moderator:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Hey this is nice, I can 'shop on my iPad while I'm 'shopping on my iMac all the pictures of my iPad ;)

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Once again... bloated software with shoddy UIs.

Hey Adobe, if you're reading this, why don't you make lite version for the new CS6 apps instead? I'm still using CS3 and it's the best apps ever :)

kar1181

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
So, will it work on a case-sensitive filesystem or are we still in the dark ages of Mac Software?

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I am excited about this update. Can't wait for the set of free ipad apps. Typical MacRumors anti-Adobe whiners...you must not actually be a professional designer of any real sort, right.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
I am excited about this update. Can't wait for the set of free ipad apps. Typical MacRumors anti-Adobe whiners...you must not actually be a professional designer of any real sort, right.

Adobe Junkie here... but one that is failing to get excited about 5.5.. The main tools I use are Flash, AE, & PS. What's getting you excited so I can muster an excuse to go buy the upgrade?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Once again... bloated software with shoddy UIs.

Hey Adobe, if you're reading this, why don't you make lite version for the new CS6 apps instead? I'm still using CS3 and it's the best apps ever :)

You should really test them (30 days free) before you make such comments! And the "bloated" argument is only (partially) valid, if you install these apps on a low end machine. But that is not Adobes target market. Right!?

Even on my Mid-2009 17" MBP, CS5.1 and CS5.5 are both much faster than the previous generation of Adobe software.

awesomebase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Maryland
Typical Adobe

I wonder when Adobe is going to wake up to the fact that people aren't going to pay almost $2K for a software package that has competitors offering products almost as good and sometimes better for less than $100. I hope people are waking up to this reality...

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Even on my Mid-2009 17" MBP, CS5.1 and CS5.5 are both much faster than the previous generation of Adobe software.
yeh CS5 is way faster than previous versions. I don't mind feature "bloat." Just because you don't use a feature doesn't mean it's worthless. If a new features saves a designer a couple minutes of work a day, you've easily made your money back.

People who usually complain about the price aren't professionals. Professionals use their tools, get paid using them, and write them off at the end of the year on their taxes.

Adobe Junkie here... but one that is failing to get excited about 5.5.. The main tools I use are Flash, AE, & PS. What's getting you excited so I can muster an excuse to go buy the upgrade?
After Effects has the excellent warp stabilizer (helps with rolling shutter on DSLRs and can all kinds of new tricks), new camera tools and camera blur effects, etc.

Last edited:

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
I wonder when Adobe is going to wake up to the fact that people aren't going to pay almost $2K for a software package that has competitors offering products almost as good and sometimes better for less than $100. I hope people are waking up to this reality...

Thing is, people are. Not home users, but there's enough professional users who wouldn't even consider anything that is not Photoshop that they can charge that kind of money.

If people really weren't going to pay $2k, they'd drop the price.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007

Digital publishing that is finally catered to tablet devices.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

You have to be joking, right?

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009

Wait there is a software package that does something remotely as close as the full creative suite does ? Please do tell. I always found the CS suite to be a bargain.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

I've been using Adobe's software professionally since… oh gosh, Photoshop 3 I think, and possibly Illustrator 5 — even older versions while I was studying. I haven't been excited by upgrades to either of these for a long time.

InDesign, being a somewhat less mature program, has staggered some useful feature releases over the years and kept me forking out money for upgrades until CS4. They're all pretty decent programs, but upgrades are becoming far from essential or exciting IMO.

Dreamweaver is now sadly outdated for web development IMO, and I don't even use it that much anymore.

Don't just assume because people aren't as excited as you or Adobe about each release that they aren't professionals.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Actually many of us don't like Adobe because of their shoddy releases since they bought out Macromedia (although CS5 changed this since it is much better than CS3 or CS4).

Not to mention those of us who actually use Photoshop or other Creative Suite elements as a tool for work don't generally jump on new releases since some programs that intertwine with Adobe's programs (such as Maya or ZBrush) may not have support for the latest version yet. If you depend on software for a living then you'd be foolish to jump on a new release until it has been tested.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Adobe Junkie here... but one that is failing to get excited about 5.5..

Not so much a junkie but I do have to use photoshop and illustrator for work at times. And I agree that I'm not leaping over this upgrade.

I do like the concepts, using the ipad etc. But I would be more excited if Adobe sat down and did a full rewrite to create a truly Mac version. Not a port but a native app. This is my big issue with Adobe's stuff. It's ported and that causes bloat.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I've been using Adobe's software professionally since… oh gosh, Photoshop 3 I think, and possibly Illustrator 5 — even older versions while I was studying. I haven't been excited by upgrades to either of these for a long time.

InDesign, being a somewhat less mature program, has staggered some useful feature releases over the years and kept me forking out money for upgrades until CS4. They're all pretty decent programs, but upgrades are becoming far from essential or exciting IMO.

Dreamweaver is now sadly outdated for web development IMO, and I don't even use it that much anymore.

Don't just assume because people aren't as excited as you or Adobe about each release that they aren't professionals.

I never said correlation equals causation. BTW, i have been using PS since version 1. There is a serious tendency for MR juniors to constanty "hate on" (as the kids say) Adobe simply because Steve Jobs has a personal beef with Adobe...like the software was ever going to stay on only the Mac platform like the old days...

Last edited:

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Actually many of us don't like Adobe because of their shoddy releases since they bought out Macromedia (although CS5 changed this since it is much better than CS3 or CS4).

Not to mention those of us who actually use Photoshop or other Creative Suite elements as a tool for work don't generally jump on new releases since some programs that intertwine with Adobe's programs (such as Maya or ZBrush) may not have support for the latest version yet. If you depend on software for a living then you'd be foolish to jump on a new release until it has been tested.

This coming from a student, right?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

charlituna said:
Adobe Junkie here... but one that is failing to get excited about 5.5..

Not so much a junkie but I do have to use photoshop and illustrator for work at times. And I agree that I'm not leaping over this upgrade.

I do like the concepts, using the ipad etc. But I would be more excited if Adobe sat down and did a full rewrite to create a truly Mac version. Not a port but a native app. This is my big issue with Adobe's stuff. It's ported and that causes bloat.

A truly Mac version? I always felt that the windows versions were the ports. Since they didn't come along until 6 or 7 years after the Mac versions. So if PS is some ancient bloat, then it's probably core Mac code. But I don't think so. Since they claim they had to do a ground up rewrite- I would assume neither are ports anymore.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Does anyone know if these new iPad apps will be free?, the Nav one looks useful, but knowing Adobe it will be £49.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.