ADOBE TO ACQUIRE MACROMEDIA

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Bloody Hell! :eek:

Well spotted...

Kiss goodbye to Freehand.
Adobe shows its hand and is getting mega-serious. Dreamweaver, Flash etc now all Adobe products...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
OMG this is huge! I just saw this and was about to post it. The ironic thing, is I was just thinking earlier today that it would be great if Adobe and Macromedia products were more closely integrated (even though I realize they already are integrated some).

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Adobe & Macromedia

This certainly is huge. Is this the end of Freehand? Also what will this mean for Flash?

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
Holy hell.

I really hope Adobe dosen't phase out Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc in favour of its own solutions GoLive and Photoshop.

A sad day in my opinion. I love macromedia.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
deanbo said:
This certainly is huge. Is this the end of Freehand? Also what will this mean for Flash?
Flash is safe.

Freehand less so.

I think we'll see integration between the 2 product lines on certain applications, whilst others get scrapped.

Hopefully Adobe will address the inconsistant GUI implemetation that Macromedia is famed for.

I just hope they don't kill Director.

nesbitt_a said:
I really hope Adobe dosen't phase out Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc in favour of its own solutions GoLive and Photoshop.
I can't imagine them scrapping Dreamweaver when it's such a popular app, but Fireworks.... well ImageReady does what Fireworks does, and it's already intergrated seamlessly with Photoshop so there's little point in keeping that.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Chaszmyr said:
OMG this is huge! I just saw this and was about to post it. The ironic thing, is I was just thinking earlier today that it would be great if Adobe and Macromedia products were more closely integrated (even though I realize they already are integrated some).
I completely agree-Adobe acquiring Macromedia is big news. I hope they don't kill off Freehand.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I hope this does not happen..... :(

I like both the companies software and want to use them all not just GoAlive or Dreamweaver........I have the Macromedia Suite and the Adobe Suite on my PC but I don't want to give up one of them :( :mad:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
wow, that was completely unexpected - I nearly fell of my chair when I saw this!

I was *really* hoping that apple would buy macromedia - i like macromedia much more than I like adobe (they're a bit more underdog/cool just like apple).

let's hope they dont kill of DW & FW - they're great products.

-asif

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
At first glance I thought I read: Apple to buy Macromedia, and I thought :).

At second glance I truly read: Adobe to buy Macromedia, and I though :eek: :confused: :( :mad:

I think Dreamweaver and Flash are here to stay....not sure about the rest.

Just imagine....

Adobe Flash 8 Plugin Required. Download Now.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
ijimk said:
Will dremwaever be safe or do you think adobe will kill it and go to golive? :confused:
Don't be surprised if Adobe on-sell any apps they don't want.
I think Dreamweaver will be safe as it seems very popular.
Freehand you can kiss goodbye.
Fireworks will probably go, but remnants of it will prob pop up in Photoshop
Director will prob survive for a while
ColdFusion should be as safe as Flash

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If this is really true I cannot see why they should sustain both Dreamweaver and GoLive... one of them has to go (no pun intended ;))...

My money's on GoLive to survive... Why would Adobe kill one of their own...? (Just as Freehand will be slaughtered and Illustrator will go on...)

Paul O'Keefe

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Bad for consumers?

Will this be bad for consumers? Basically it gets rid of competition. I'm shocked by this news. Skip Creative Suite 2 and wait for Creative Suite 3 with DreamWeaver.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I hope this is for the best, as in making the products better by murging what Macromedia had with what Adobe has. Otherwise, If I loose the programs I use now, I don't know if I could ever find something I like to use.