Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
TigerPRO said:
That would be sweet. Especially the dropping support for he PC. ;)

why on earth would dropping support for PC be described "sweet" while on the other hand imagining somebody *cough*microsoft*cough* dropping support for mac would mean the end of the world?

i want good things for mac. i don't want to even think about pc. i don't understand why people want bad things happening to the PC platform... it will surely die some day because of windows is so bad, but hey, let's not be happy if something bad happens, even if it would hurt microsoft. bad things must be won over with good things, you know, not the other way around...

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
jnasato said:
adobemacromedia.jpg

It's not *that* bad...

This will make Abobe HUUUGE.

Huge.

Judging from the '666' it might make Adobe EVIIILL

Evil.

;) :p

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
jnasato said:
adobemacromedia.jpg

It's not *that* bad...

This will make Abobe HUUUGE.

Huge.

It isn't ??? Read carefully 'industry defining technology' (in one hand!). It's gonna be 'buy or die'. This could hardly be worse... (ok M$ could buy Adobe).

fbrown

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Contact FTC

If anyone would like to contact the FTC about the merger of Adobe and Macromedia, below is their link as well as their contact information. It may be best to wait until the merger is under review.

-F Brown

http://ftc.gov/ftc/bcmail.htm

If you have a question or comment about an antitrust issue, please submit it to the Bureau of Competition by one the the methods below. To learn how we may use the information you provide, please read our Privacy Policy. To help us serve you better, please include a day-time telephone number in your communication.
Telephone:
(202) 326-3300

Regular Mail:
Office of Policy and Evaluation
Room 394
Bureau of Competition
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20580

Electronic Mail:
antitrust@ftc.gov

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Interesting, but why?

I think like everyone else, what's going to happen with CS3? Has to be a killer for timing, with CS2 coming out. Why would anyone go out and pick up CS2? Now that in the near future, macromedia products will be integrated.

In a strange twist, I think Adobe is going to rename their products. PS & Illustrator will stay, but I think DW & Flash will take on a new name, integrating some of the functionality of their adobe couterparts. Maybe...

as the world turns....

briguy72

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
hmmm....

Adobe buys Aldus, acquires Freehand, sells Freehand to Macromedia, Adobe Illustrator still prevails, but now Adobe wants Freehand back. To kill it maybe.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
areyouwishing said:
What I want:

Creative Suite - Web Edition - $799
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Flash
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Fireworks
Since Flash is a vector-based animation/interactivity tool, I'd think Illustrator would be more appropriate than Fireworks (which is redundant with Photoshop, no?).

While I'm against the fact that there will be less competition, I'm excited about what this can do for Flash. I've always been a fan of Flash but I've always thought that it's drawing tools were archaic. And its compatibility with Illustrator (which is the industry standard for vector graphics) always left me wanting. The potential for integration here is exciting. Also, Adobe may be able to integrate some features from AfterEffects. Finally, Adobe consistently has the best interface of anyone (not named Apple) so Flash should get a pretty nice facelift if Adobe is serious about improving it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
dongmin said:
Also, Adobe may be able to integrate some features from AfterEffects. Finally, Adobe consistently has the best interface of anyone (not named Apple) so Flash should get a pretty nice facelift if Adobe is serious about improving it.

They'd already created this app, it was called LiveMotion. ;)

It already had seamless integration with Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects (which which it shared a simplified interface) and was vastly more intuitive to use than Flash.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
ok now I just need Apple to buy adobe once Adobe's purchase of macromedia is finalized :)

Thats one way to garuntee mac support
now. would apple continue to develop photoshop on the pc if it owned it? hmm

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
bretm said:
Macromedia's is Flash, Director, and Dreamweaver. Put the Adobe name in front of all those and look for that lineup - all integrated, with the best of any overlapping apps integrated into each.

Director still survive?

popefish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
inDream

So I had this dream. In this dream I did layouts using Macrobe inDream which instantly converted my work to an XML/CSS hybrid that worked flawlessly to web standards, printed like a dream and made everyone money.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Director probably not a good Adobe fit ...

stephenli said:
Director still survive?
As a developer who's been using Director as my primary development tool since 1993, I also am interested in its future. There's been a few comments above (including iGav's great comment about Flash-ites who've thought that Flash would replace Director...).

But in reality, as I've noted in previous posts in this thread, Director doesn't seem to be a good fit inside Adobe. It seems that Adobe wants their applications to be more generalized tools, to go onto LOTS of desktops and be used by different programs and organizations.

But it appears Director is too specialized, too much of a development tool to fit this mold. I doubt that it will ever see a wide spread installation on the CPU's of the creative set along the lines of Adobe's DTP, web, or image processing applications.

One good thing for us is that Director MX (and MX 2004) have brought it's code base back to "state of the art", so even with little development it now has a renewed life span inside Adobe. (An aside - I find MX 2004 the most stable version of Director I've EVER used since v3 - while I have some palette issues where I have to close and reopen palettes to regain functionality, I can't remember crashing out of it for ages!)

As to a longer time frame, it appears Director (I don't have access to MM internal documents so I can't say for sure) is quite profitable. Thus it's more valuable for Adobe to sell off to a smaller company to continue development, rather than just killing it. Unless they see it as threatening another product of their own, of course (which I don't see at the present).

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Lacero said:
Why is everyone saying this is bad? I think it's a great move. I personally have never used any of Macromedia's products. So if Adobe can integrate the best features from Macromedia's assets into their own programs, it would all be made better, especially I'm a staunch Adobe user.

Freehand was originally from Aldus, as was Pagemaker, they've just been absorbed by both companies, but now they all have found their homes in Adobe.

Actually, FreeHand was originally from Altsys (the Fontographer people). Aldus was just the marketing/support partner for Altsys. When Adobe acquired Aldus, FreeHand was returned to Altsys under an FTC ruling. As Altsys was preparing to release FreeHand under the Altsys name, they struck a deal with Macromedia for Macromedia to acquire Altsys. Hence, Macromedia FreeHand and Fontographer.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
briguy72 said:
Adobe buys Aldus, acquires Freehand, sells Freehand to Macromedia, Adobe Illustrator still prevails, but now Adobe wants Freehand back. To kill it maybe.

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't hold my breath for FreeHand to ever come back. Macromedia has already moved FreeHand development to the lowest priority maintenance mode, as of a year ago. Same with FireWorks. The people I've talked to at Macromedia over the past couple of days are pretty convinced that FreeHand and Fireworks will go bye-bye. Their opinions on the fates of the other apps aren't as clear.

killillust

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2005
brooklyn, ny
narco said:
Wait a minute, they still make FREEHAND? And let me get this straight: people still use it? Why?
:confused:

This is the thing that concerns me the most about the Adobe takeover.
Lots of people still use Freehand, all my old professors and my former bosses still use it. Without Freehand, and if im forced to learn Illustrator, well i might as well just retire from graphic design now and learn a new trade. I work in a design firm of 4 and im the only one who uses Freehand but i pretty much run circles around all the other artist and there's nothing i cant do with Freehand and PS that others can do in Illustrator. i'm just able to do them in half the time. The FH tools are just so damn simple to use and make sense. Illustrator on the other hand, well.. lets just say I could go on and on about the many flaws of the usability of Illustrator. and for everyone who thinks Freehand lacks features such as filters, ect.. well that's what Photoshop is for. And that's what also makes Freehand a true vector graphics tool unlike Illustrator. All that excess crap just slows you down.
And what's up with the Illustrator pen tool?? worst thing i've ever used.
for me.. i'm praying FH gets aquired by someone else and carries on, so I too can carry on.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
killillust said:
Without Freehand, and if im forced to learn Illustrator, well i might as well just retire from graphic design now and learn a new trade. I work in a design firm of 4 and im the only one who uses Freehand but i pretty much run circles around all the other artist and there's nothing i cant do with Freehand and PS that others can do in Illustrator. i'm just able to do them in half the time.

Has it occured to anybody that they might...just might...incorporate the best features of Freehand with the best features of Illustrator (there are some y'know) and make one KILLER vector app?

Again, if they don't and Illustrator doesn't step it up someone else will come along who will do it better and folks will migrate to that app. Just like the Quark vs. InDesign rumble that is going on as we speak. :cool:

RubberChicken

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Australia
killillust said:
:confused:

This is the thing that concerns me the most about the Adobe takeover.
Lots of people still use Freehand, all my old professors and my former bosses still use it. Without Freehand, and if im forced to learn Illustrator, well i might as well just retire from graphic design now and learn a new trade. I work in a design firm of 4 and im the only one who uses Freehand but i pretty much run circles around all the other artist and there's nothing i cant do with Freehand and PS that others can do in Illustrator. i'm just able to do them in half the time. The FH tools are just so damn simple to use and make sense. Illustrator on the other hand, well.. lets just say I could go on and on about the many flaws of the usability of Illustrator. and for everyone who thinks Freehand lacks features such as filters, ect.. well that's what Photoshop is for. And that's what also makes Freehand a true vector graphics tool unlike Illustrator. All that excess crap just slows you down.
And what's up with the Illustrator pen tool?? worst thing i've ever used.
for me.. i'm praying FH gets aquired by someone else and carries on, so I too can carry on.

EXACTLY! Although I would now temper this with a few points. FreeHand lost focus when it started to include bitmap editing features... perhaps caught in the features war with Illustrator they forgot what I always loved most about the program "Decide what you are and be that"... the most efficient VECTOR illustration program. Now it feels like horrible bits of Fireworks have been grafted on the side, and the rejection drugs are not holding ground!

Now I use FreeHand 99% and 1% Illustrator for the features I think it does way better... creating and opening PDFs, saving web/office bitmap versions of vector stuff (bypassing the impossible to remove colour shift imposed by recent Photoshop versions), some non-destcructive vector filters (Round corners... on anything!), saving logo eps (FreeHand still has the bug of including additional fractional space around eps objects, STILL cannot save cross platform EPS) and actionscripts. In almost evey other respect it is abysmal. The worst features being colour swatch control (why do I want to create a colour swatch that is not global by default, no wonder I see so many logos with 5 variations of a similar colour), clipping masks... vomit... vomit... VOMIT. This is supposed to be a vector program yet Illustrator treats clipping masks the same way as photoshop... when selected and manipulated they are the sum of clip and content. In FreeHand a clipping path is THE object, cut and paste 50 wild shapes into your desired clipping path... say again... cut the objects and paste them inside the other path... yes this is an object based editor! Now the clipped objects are contained within shape of the path, whereas Illustrator everything is just under the clipping path. Illustrators idea of "Collect for output" is to embed placed graphics, this is disgusting. I was recently asked to repair a packaging handoff - 30 pieces of artwork saved as Illustrator files with embedded images... 8 GIGABYTES. By linking the embedded images I got the whole lot down to 45MB. But to collect for output, I had to copy all the files manually. Needless to say, if any Illustrator users know a way around any of my gripes, I looked hard but I'm not an expert, please tell me how.

The last 3 designers we have employed have all used Dreamweaver and Illustrator. They all said they hated Golive and FreeHand. Within a couple of weeks I was able to demonstrate how Golive and FreeHand would do almost everything easier. And they converted themselves. Not knowing a program go a long way towards your opinion of it. You need someone you knows the opposing application really well... whichever direction you go. And I've learned out of this process, learned that something I hated does some stuff better.

Still, I have little faith that a program combining the best of both will be possible. I think the two programs are an example of two utterly alien philosophies, two completely different approaches to the same task. I see FreeHand as a technical/designer's tool and Illustrator as an artist's tool. Two very different mindsets, and probably why most people are completely polarised ie they love one and hate the other.

But hey, even if they drop Freehand, we can still use it. I still use Dimensions 2 and 3 under classic (don't get me started on the abysmal implementation of it within Illustrator CS). I even had to dig out FreeHand 4 to open an eps from 1992 that MX or illustrator did not understand properly. The old apps still run just fine, and sooooooo fast on a dual G5!

HeWhoSpitsFire

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Oregon
In some ways i'm happy, but in others, worried. I've never been a huge Freehand user, moreso Illustrator. My major concern at the moment is the retention of Dreamweaver. It is far superior to GoLive. That is of course my opinion.

Beyond that, I think we'll see Flash become more of an industry behemoth, on par with say, Photoshop.

I don't think Adobe will take apart the programming and multi-media powerhouse apps Macromedia has been developing since Macromind (Director). They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

In short they have brought together superpowers. Photoshop and Director in the same garage. Who'd a thunk it. :)

It's kinda troubling to think which apps might win out between eachother, or if they'll become strange yet powerful hybrids :eek: unlike what we've all been used to and evolving with for the past 15+ years(give or take a few).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Had a thought yesterday and forgot to post it.

For all those complaining about this - it could have been worse....

Macromedia could have acquired Adobe :eek:

D

runcapher68

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Pottstown, PA
I will mourn the loss of Freehand

My wife and I run a small graphic design and marketing firm and we have always preferred Freehand to Illustrator. It's interface is much more intuitive than Illustrator, crashes less, and is just easier to work with. Even the printers I work with have said that Freehand files output more easily than those created in Illustupid (did I say that?). Plus, let's face it, Adobe has become less and less Mac-friendly over the years. They seem to think that if they push their PC products, the artistic community will suddenly dump their Macs in favor of a BillyBox. I'll switch careers before I work on a PC. Anyway, I'm just rambling because I'm very annoyed.

On another note, I certainly hope Abobe doesn't do anything as stupid as get rid of Dreamweaver. It's been the web authoring app of choice for as long as I can remember and it really does generate cleaner code than GoLive. If Adobe is smart they will take the few good featured of GoLive, add them to Dreamweaver and call it Adobe Dreamweaver GL or something like that. But I won't hold my breath as Adobe rarely does what is in the best interests of its customers.

Thanks for listening to me rant everyone.

Attachments

• Bob_1.jpg
    Bob_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 238

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
runcapher68 said:
My wife and I run a small graphic design and marketing firm and we have always preferred Freehand to Illustrator. It's interface is much more intuitive than Illustrator, crashes less, and is just easier to work with.
I somewhat agree. Illustrator has been a DISASTER for the past few years. Adobe introduces more and more bugs that they never fix.

There are some very serious bugs in Illustrator CS 1. But instead of releasing a fix for these bugs, Adobe decides to release CS 2, forcing you to pay for an upgrade to get any fixes. That is just plain criminal. They are selling defective software and not offering any fixes until the next major release. I hope Illustrator dies a quick death, it sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.