Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
People buy iPads to run PhotoShop? Do they have some other use? Is it possible that people will be using Dell for Adobe and iPads for Instagram?

Is it possible that people who have iPads already use Photoshop and will now have another avenue to use it?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is the worst news Windows and Intel could ever hope for. Major full apps going to the iPad and ARM. The iPad tops the Mac in sales 2 to 1 making it certainly viable for Adobe. If a Mac is too expensive for you but you still need full Adobe apps, you won't have to turn to a cheap Windows PC like the new Surface Go because it's likely that rig would have a problem running it in the first place.

Apple’s decision to let the iPad run ios rather than macOS is looking more and more prescient by the day.

Anyways, I think the importance here cannot be understated. I personally don’t do any image editing, but it seems like betting on a future with hundreds of millions of iPad users is smarter than doubling down on a dying PC market.

When you consider that there are way more iOS devices in circulation than Macs, it goes to follow that the majority of iOS (much less iPad users) don’t own a Mac. To dismiss us iPad users as inferior or a bunch of non-professionals misses the much larger trend taking place in the marketplace.

That Adobe mentioned in their statement that they want their software on more “modern devices” says a lot about where they think computing is heading, IMO.

Onwards! Till the day of “iPad first” or “iPad only” computing is upon us.

Last edited:
Reactions: aevan

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Hmm, wait for this or just use a Surface Pro instead for photo editing?

I could always dump Adobe and go Affinity too.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Affinity scared them into this probably : )

and this is exactly what Apple, Microsoft, and Google need. They became very arrogant with their products and offerings thinking no one can shake them and they can just force their products on the consumer since they have no other option.

Its what happened to Internet Explorer once Safari, Firefox, and later Chrome hit the market.

Reactions: IGI2

moonlit

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Seattle, Washington (USA)
Affinity is killing it with their products and pricing. If only the "industry" would swing in their direction so that Affinity file formats are universally accepted like Adobe.

Now, Affinity...we need a PDF solution and you would have the trifecta of products that would allow everyone to DUMP Adobe stop paying ridiculous prices.

Still waiting for something to replace Lightroom Classic CC with that isn't... an older retail version of Lightroom. Probably going to end up in Capture One land instead even though it's more expensive than Adobe currently, just because Adobe insists the future is "you have to store everything you'll ever access ever again on our servers, and that's less than 1 TB of files, right?"

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Maybe I'm missing something. Belsky confirmed a "cross-platform" version of PhotoShop, not "full version". I'm thinking this is going be more along the lines of Photoshop Elements-type of offering.

From the original article on Bloomberg:

"Scott Belsky, Adobe’s chief product officer of Creative Cloud, confirmed the company was working on a new cross-platform iteration of Photoshop and other applications, but declined to specify the timing of their launches."

Reactions: rp2011 and kazmac

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is a second chance for Apple to acquire a company in the creative field that is responsible for the Mac succeeding as a platform through the Windows years. Apple missed the chance to pick up Adobe. Serif Labs acquired by Apple could revive Apple's creative professional roadmap.

Reactions: rp2011

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This is a second chance for Apple to acquire a company in the creative field that is responsible for the Mac succeeding as a platform through the Windows years. Apple missed the chance to pick up Adobe. Serif Labs acquired by Apple could revive Apple's creative professional roadmap.
If they cared, they would have given their own products some love and support. I still miss Aperture.

Reactions: PKoz

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
This just means we're going to get a web-based feature-stripped Photoshop, which relies completely on Adobe's cloud service to work, just like the "new" Lightroom CC. It's fine if you're doing light edits for web but doesn't really scale well to more demanding workflows. And then they will gradually retire the full desktop Photoshop like they are doing to Lightroom CC Classic.

It's not all bad, Photoshop should have been completely rewritten from the ground up ten years ago. Maybe in 5-10 years we'll have a fully usable Photoshop on both tablet and desktop.

Edit: This will probably make me pull the plug and switch to fully Adobe-free apps, Affinity Photo, Designer and Clip Studio Paint.

The new Lightroom CC doesn't rely completely on the Cloud Service... The cloud service on the new Lightroom CC is just for backup. You can work with the new Lightroom CC completely offline on your desktop.

Machiz

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
GA
What might be the chances that Adobe will follow with their Video Editor, Premier Pro, as a full version option for iPad Pro at some point (soon?)

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
What might be the chances that Adobe will follow with their Video Editor, Premier Pro, as a full version option for iPad Pro at some point (soon?)
Premiere Pro is the slowest of all the Video Editors and represents part of what is wrong with Adobe. They have old, legacy code and old thinking. Anyone asking for a subscription is doing so because they know no one would buy their updates on a regular basis.

Thankfully we finally have credible alternatives from the likes of Affinity and Readdle for PDFs. The next step is to step is to start getting the print shops to accept these graphics files natively. And then hopefully that can trickle down to customers having comfort in submitting professional art for print using tools other than from Adobe.

When I started out I used Macromedia first. Freehand was my first illustration tool. I used Freehand, Quark and Photoshop. I despise Adobe and hope to ditch them as soon as possible. They absolutely make me sick.
[doublepost=1533052138][/doublepost]
If they cared, they would have given their own products some love and support. I still miss Aperture.
Yes, Apple really screwed up by going pure consumer and not keeping a focus on their pro product Aperture. They need to stop making bad choices like that. I wouldn't trust Apple to own another creative company. They have a history of killing things or rewriting them to suit the consumer and not the professional.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Guys, can anyone recommend a good book that teaches Affinity photo for photoshop users? I want to switch to Affinity Photo, but I can't figure out how to do the most basic things given my lifetime of Photoshop use. I know they have video tutorials for a few tasks, but I feel like I need to relearn from the ground up.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Guys, can anyone recommend a good book that teaches Affinity photo for photoshop users? I want to switch to Affinity Photo, but I can't figure out how to do the most basic things given my lifetime of Photoshop use. I know they have video tutorials for a few tasks, but I feel like I need to relearn from the ground up.
Serif has some great tutorials and an amazing book!
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/workbook/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.