Adobe to Launch Full Version of Photoshop for iPad, Expected in 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adobe will launch a "full version" of Photoshop for iPad in 2019, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Nico Grant. The report claims Adobe will preview the app at its annual MAX creative conference in October.

[​IMG]

Adobe's chief of Creative Cloud software Scott Belsky confirmed that the company is working on a new cross-platform version of Photoshop and other apps, but declined to specify the timing of their launches.
    Adobe already offers a range of companion apps for Photoshop on iPhone and iPad, including Photoshop Fix for basic retouching, Photoshop Express for basic photo editing and creating collages, Photoshop Sketch for drawing and painting, and Photoshop Mix for creating multilayered images.

The full version is expected to offer a wider range of tools, enabling users to start a project on the desktop and continue editing on the iPad, or vice versa. The app is said to have a mobile-friendly interface, as part of an architecture overhaul that will extend to other Adobe apps, such as Illustrator.

The app will presumably be named Photoshop CC for iPad, and will likely be a free download, but like the already-available Lightroom CC for iPad, a $9.99 per month Creative Cloud subscription will likely be required to access the full feature set and syncing with Photoshop on the desktop.

Photoshop CC would compete with other photo editing apps on iPad, including Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, and Snapseed by Google.

Article Link: Adobe to Launch Full Version of Photoshop for iPad, Expected in 2019

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Could be exciting if it’s timed with the release of improved Pros, the pencil is really valuable for PS.

3. gpat macrumors 6502a

Apparently easier than waiting for a 15" MBP with a proper GPU.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68020

And that means an ARM based Mac is even more likely to happen. One of the main concerns is software, but if Adobe and other key players are able to port their stuff on an iPad most of the work is done for an ARM OS X porting.

5. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

6. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

7. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Maybe they scared them into lower pricing too? No? Worth a shot.

8. Expobill macrumors 6502a

there are many alternatives to photoshop already available for iPads, and most for under $10 bucks!

9. AngerDanger, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

10. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Fear the walking Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

Personally I don’t care for bloated Adobe products anymore. Affinity products are more performant anyway and has all critical features most designers need. They are very customer friendly and communicative, too. You can even talk directly to the devs.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This why Apple is betting on the iPad as the future. I don't agree with their thought process, but we're seeing more movement, apps, and whatnot in iOS then in the Mac realm

12. AvisDeene macrumors member

AvisDeene

Yes, we can have photoshop for iPad for the low price of $19.99 a month!

13. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

14. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Fake news. Not possible to do real work on an iPad.

/s

15. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Most. :)
    There are a few missing… like moveable 0,0 origin on the desktop version…
    But I agree overall, Affinity is my go to more and more.

Adobe should remember how they stole a march on Quark (remember them? :eek:) when OS X was first released in 2001.

Adobe have grown fat, slow and very lazy and Affinity have the ability it seems to turn out really good stuff.

16. Amethyst macrumors 6502a

I think there are 3 main reason to do this.

1. Currently, there are many company do a photoshop-like apps on an iPad. Adobe must do their own if doesn't want to loss this market which they dominate for a long time.
    2. An Apple AX's performance drastically improve overlast 2 years. Now an iPad Pro's CPU is on par with Core i5 in MBP 2017. So running full-feature PS on iPad is possible.
    3. A software pirate on iOS platform is significantly lower than on PS+Mac.

17. Stiksi, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

This just means we're going to get a web-based feature-stripped Photoshop, which relies completely on Adobe's cloud service to work, just like the "new" Lightroom CC. It's fine if you're doing light edits for web but doesn't really scale well to more demanding workflows. And then they will gradually retire the full desktop Photoshop like they are doing to Lightroom CC Classic.

It's not all bad, Photoshop should have been completely rewritten from the ground up ten years ago. Maybe in 5-10 years we'll have a fully usable Photoshop on both tablet and desktop.

Edit: This will probably make me pull the plug and switch to fully Adobe-free apps, Affinity Photo, Designer and Clip Studio Paint.

18. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Too little-too late, Adobe!

I switched over to Clip Studio for art creation and manipulation. DONE.

This will be good for pro photogs, but for the average consumer you hit the wall and are GONE.

19. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

The iPad keeps creeping forward in functionality. I have a move coming up, so my iMac is already boxed. Ive been able to do everything I need on my 2018 base iPad, including many tasks related to home buying. While it lacks the control of the desktop, it’s really becoming a quite capable device for being so simple.

20. rols macrumors 6502

as long as I can purchase it outright and not on a subscription model I'll be there.

21. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Alternatives yes, but not viable like-for-like replacements.

22. 827538 macrumors 65816

Sounds great... but I’m not subscribing to software.

You can pry CS6 from my cold dead hands.

23. mollyc macrumors 65816

The biggest problem I see is that you can't calibrate an iPad screen. How will you ever be able to do specific color corrections? (Yes, I know there are already PS light versions.)

24. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Yes, so glad Apple made a Stylus for the iPads so proper full apps like this could finally be possible

25. alex00100 macrumors 6502

This is HUGE! Many people will still prefer procreate and other apps but this means that pro users like us who mostly work on pc can work on the same project on both platforms! I just really hope that this is indeed a full version with minimal UI changes and keyboard support.