Adobe to Stop Distributing and Updating Flash in 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe today announced plans to end-of-life its Flash browser plug-in, ceasing development and distribution of the software at the end of 2020. Adobe encourages content creators to migrate flash content to HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly formats.
    The elimination of Flash and Flash Player should not heavily impact most users because popular browsers have already moved away from the format. Starting with macOS Sierra and Safari 10, Apple disabled Adobe Flash by default to focus on HTML 5, and Flash has never been available on Apple's iOS devices. Google's Chrome browser has also been de-emphasizing Flash since the middle of last year.

Adobe's Flash Player has always suffered from a never-ending stream of critical vulnerabilities that expose Mac and PC users to malware and other security risks. Vendors like Microsoft and Apple have had to work continually over the years to keep up with security fixes.

Apple also shared Adobe's Flash news on its WebKit blog, and the company says it is working with Adobe and industry partners on the transition from Flash to open standards.

Ahead of its sunsetting in 2020, Adobe will continue to support Flash on major operating systems and browsers, issuing regular security updates, maintaining OS and browser compatibility, and introducing new features and capabilities "as needed."

Adobe says it will, however, "move more aggressively" to end Flash distribution in countries where unlicensed and outdated versions of Flash Player are distributed.

Article Link: Adobe to Stop Distributing and Updating Flash in 2020

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Wow, this is very big news for many. I hope those websites that haven't transitioned do it soon.

3. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

4. JDiggyDawg macrumors newbie

JDiggyDawg

5. _mdavenport macrumors regular

_mdavenport

6. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

7. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

Why wait till 2020? No time like the present, Adobe.

8. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Remember when Apple was evil because they rejected flash on the iPad?

Remember when Android was the best OS ever because it had a slow and buggy version of flash that was essentially useless?

9. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

About time. I'm sick of seeing "Please update your flash player" or "Please install the latest version of flash" on today's internet. They might as well still require you to use Netscape Navigator.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Steve Jobs will resurrect just to tell the press "Told you so".

11. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Hope they are not like Apple and not delay its death until December 31st. Can't come soon enough

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Only 10 years late to the party.

I can't remember the last time I used Flash. I remember so long ago I was using Click2Flash, but I stopped needing to use that as browsers started to just block Flash by default.

13. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

The few sites I do manage, I removed all flash about 5, 6 years ago. I consider it the devil now.
    AND...no more of this nonsense. (Which by the way, I guess I need my weekly update now?? :mad: )
    [​IMG]

14. juancpena macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing that, it's been a while since I read it! Always a pleasure reading Steve's words.

15. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

This reflects on the vision and thoughtful decision-making that once characterised Apple - under Jobs.

Isn't there a football-related quote about kicking the ball to where the player WILL be, not where he/she currently is.

We really do need visionaries.
    With confidence.
    Who care about the product more than the profit.

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Steve Jobs called, he wants his announcement back.

17. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I remember when Apple said "No more Flash." It forced a lot of people to make non-flash sites.

Over on the PowerPC boards, we do have a post about this, because we all stopped really using Flash a long time ago. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/life-without-flash-share-your-tips-and-tricks.1496149/

18. jakeowens macrumors newbie

19. z970mp macrumors 6502

z970mp

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Its this history which gives me confidence that Apple truly believe we wont be using wired headphones with smartphones for much longer.

21. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Doesn't mean it will go away. Support and use of it are two different things.

22. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

I remember it very well, especially seeing how poorly flash performed on said Android tablets.
    That old press release is gold, on so many levels :)

23. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

24. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Yup.

And as much i hate it... as much as i am keeping my iphone SE partly because of the headphone jack... I would reluctantly concede that in 5 years, we will all be embracing wireless and looking back and wondering why we ever stuck with wired headphones.