Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe Unveils Photoshop and Premiere Elements 15 for Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today released new versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, its affordable photo and video editing software aimed at consumers. Both Photoshop and Premiere Elements include new tools and enhancements to existing capabilities to make the photo and video editing experience even more streamlined and simple.

Photoshop Elements includes a new Transform tool that's able to turn frowns into smiles, adjust squinting eyes, and make other quick, easy adjustments to photos in a matter of minutes. Filters have been improved and can be layered and edited more simply, and there's a new Smart Tags system that scans images for content and makes it easier to find them based on subjects like cats, dogs, sunsets, birthdays, people, and more. Search using multiple terms is also available.

For those who are new to the photo editing process, Photoshop Elements has a range of new Guided Edits to do things like add text elements to photos, layer multiple effects, add motion blur behind subjects, turn photos into paintings with texture and color, and create custom frames.

On touch screen devices, which pertains to Windows machines, there are new options for using the Organizer and Quick Edit with touch-based gestures, an improvement also included in Premiere Elements. Both Premiere and Photoshop Elements also include integration with Facebook, YouTube, and other social networks to make it faster to share videos and photos.

Premiere Elements features a simplified search tool to quickly locate video content you want to work with, and there's a new tool for clearing haze from landscape shots for clearer video. As with Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements includes new Guided Edits, including one that allows users to apply effects across multiple clips or an entire movie.

Face detection allows Favorite Moments to automatically locate the people in your videos to bring them to the front and center, a feature that's also new to Pan and Zoom and Smart Trim, enhancing the functionality of these tools. A new music remix feature lets users pick a music file that can be automatically rematched to the length of the movie, and there's a tool for creating dynamic collages from photos and videos.

Photoshop Elements 15 and Premiere Elements 15 for Mac and Windows can be purchased from Adobe's website for $99.99 each. Bundles are available for $149.99, and existing users can upgrade for $79.99 for one product or $119 for the bundle.

Article Link: Adobe Unveils Photoshop and Premiere Elements 15 for Mac

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Is it just me, or does the baby on the left look like it had its smile turned upside down? Rather than it frowning in the first instance and then turned into a smile?

Maybe it's just me. I tend to avoid babies. :confused:

Comment

mollyc

macrumors 68040
Aug 18, 2016
It's not just flipped because the tongue is still at the bottom of the mouth. If it had just been flipped, the tongue would be at the top.

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My thoughts exactly. What a great new feature, that they can't even provide an example of.

As a retoucher by trade, I can say from experience that turning a frown into a smile convincingly is harder than it sounds. So hard, even Adobe had to cheat to get it done.

Comment

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
That motion blur effect on the kid running is awful.

The happy / sad pics are wrong. Both of them.

And just a PSA, I knew a kid when I was about 10 that was riding a skateboard down on his belly like in the last photo. He hit a small pebble which caused the skateboard to stop instantly and him to slide forward onto the ground. He ended up chipping his front tooth.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Turning upset baby faces into fake cheery smiles is creepy.
"You're going to smile whether you like it or not dammit"

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I look at those before / after pics and just wonder how amazing some of my photos might be if it wasn't for the fact that I have no imagination, lack patience and the necessary photoshop skills.

It is why I like Googles Auto-awesome, it does stuff to some images I can't, but not with a very wide variety enhancements. Imagine if Adobe could get Photoshop to do stuff like that too. My gallery could have life breathed right into it.

Last edited:
Comment

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
...So, how much have they dumbed down the "Expert Mode" features (which are the real reason anybody would choose PSE over Pixelmator or Affinity)?

I use PS Elements 11, not to de-frown kids, but to prep images, screenshots and things like document thumbnails for the web. PS 11's "Expert Mode" is a substantial subset of full-fat PS and its features like save-for-web and the ability to render PDFs to various resolutions & formats of bitmap are indispensable for that. Although Pixelmator, Affinity etc. (which I do have) will superficially do those things, PS Elements 11 is far more flexible and versatile & a better fit for my workflow.

...unfortunately PSE 11 doesn't work properly on El Cap or above. Currently I'm stuck on Mavericks for other hardware reasons but when Apple get their finger out and release some new Macs I'm either going to have to upgrade PSE or learn to live with Affinity. (Affinity Designer* rather than Studio will do the job, but in more steps).

Was going to ask whether these features had survived to PSE 14, but now...

(*Or Xara via a Windows VM which I'm still stuck with until Affinity Designer finally implements proper arrowheads...)

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
That is awesome. Photoshop your kids into being happy.
I had a happy childhood, apparently. I never frowned, dad drove a Bugatti Veyron, and mom looked like a supermodel. I was also quite the baseball player—as evidenced by the vapor cone shock wave surrounding me as I broke the sound barrier just before sliding into home plate. Life was so good back then. What happened?

Comment

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That is awesome. Photoshop your kids into being happy.
I hope one can use the tool to make all the people in the picture look serious as well.

Lol
[doublepost=1475593286][/doublepost]
I had a happy childhood, apparently. I never frowned, dad drove a Bugatti Veyron, and mom looked like a supermodel. I was also quite the baseball player—as evidenced by the vapor cone shock wave surrounding me as I broke the sound barrier just before sliding into home plate. Life was so good back then. What happened?
Duke you lost a lot of revenue after downtown abbey stopped filming in your estate. You should have diversified.

Reactions: macduke
Comment

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Why is our culture so obsessed with "correcting" real life images and photos.

Just take the damn photo, warts and all, and be done with it.

Comment

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
That link sucks. Takes you to a student/school offer page with no mention or clue where elements 15 is. Had to search to find any info on the product. Plus it is showing the price as 99.00 not 79.00. I have 12 so do am I able to get the discount when checking out or am I not eligible.

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Looks great for people who think The Polar Express-style movies are charming and heart-warming rather than an unintentionally creepy series of examples of the uncanny. I don't think I want my family photos to end up looking like the work Jan Svankmajer.

PSE 10 is still working ok in Sierra for me... I didn't like v11 so I haven't bothered since. Between Pixelmator and Affinity I have enough options nowadays thankfully. Plus I still have PS 4 (Photoshop, not the Sony console!) on a PPC Mac if some kind of photo-editor apocalypse happened :D

Reactions: Happy-Mac
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Duke you lost a lot of revenue after downtown abbey stopped filming in your estate. You should have diversified.
Probs because I bought a new house in a quiet neighborhood with much less drama. The police were at my neighbors house nearly every week at my old house. The most drama I've experienced at my new house is from my homeowners association reminding everyone that they should have proper edging for their lawns. Doesn't make for good TV.

Reactions: Carlanga
Comment

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.