Adobe Warns Customers of Potential Legal Action for Using Older Versions of Creative Cloud Apps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, Adobe announced that older versions of Creative Cloud apps such as Photoshop and Lightroom would no longer be available to its subscribers, and today, Adobe started sending out warning emails encouraging customers to update or potentially risk legal action.

Adobe today started sending out warning emails to customers who are using older versions of Creative Cloud apps, letting them know those older versions are no longer licensed.

[​IMG]

"Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties," warns the email.

Adobe goes on to suggest that customers upgrade to the latest versions of the Creative Cloud apps using the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Adobe last week said that going forward, Creative Cloud members will only have direct download access to the two most recent major versions of Creative Cloud desktop applications rather than multiple earlier versions.
    In a statement to AppleInsider, Adobe said that it could not comment on the third-party infringement issue because it "concerns ongoing litigation."
    Adobe is in the midst of a lawsuit with Dolby and has accused Adobe of copyright infringement and breach of contract, which could be the reason why past versions of Creative Cloud apps are now restricted.

Each of the emails that are going out to customers are customized and will list the older versions of the apps that are still in use. Most users are likely to be unaffected by the change, but some who preferred to use older versions will likely need to update.

Article Link: Adobe Warns Customers of Potential Legal Action for Using Older Versions of Creative Cloud Apps

2. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

This will be a fun thread to read. Glad I went to CaptureOne last year.

3. Imdougurnot macrumors member

Imdougurnot

This gets to the heart of the subscriptions model, control. A lack of ownership. Eff off.

4. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Pixelmator was the best money I spent in a while.

5. Rookbird macrumors member

Rookbird

It’s a shame. Adobe Lightroom was THE organization and light editing program for professional photographers. But lately it seems to get buggier and buggier while at the same time their subscription plan is stupid. If you cancel your subscription say half way through a year of subscription they charge you 50% I think of what you would have to pay for the rest of the year. Also they will just renew your subscription without any notice when it is that time. If you want to cancel and not pay a cancellation fee then you have to talk to them right before your subscription is about to be renewed. I'm moving away from Lightroom. I have been trying out ACDSee and It seems to be so much faster and less buggy than Lightroom.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Don't ever use a subscription service for applications.

Bad joojoo.

And I might add..This is how far down the tubes Adobe has gone.
    They used to be a good company.

7. themachugger macrumors member

It's a bit difficult to parse what they mean by the warning. I understand Adobe being concerned about the legality of using old versions if third party software from companies like Dolby are involved but does it impact every app? I pay for Creative Cloud but refuse to use any version of After Effects after 14, (except when I have to) because they completely screwed up CPU multithreading with later versions and in some cases, later versions are dramatically slower.

8. now i see it macrumors 68040

Adobe sent out an email to its Creative Cloud customers and here is what it said:
    "$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ $$$$!$$$$!!$ $$$!!! $$$$$$$! $$$ $$$!!!! $$)!)!!!!$$$$$$."

9. patent10021, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

And people why wonder Adobe is the most pirated software in history.

The only reason why anyone would *need* to use Adobe is if their team/company already uses it.

Use these apps instead people.

Framer X
    Sketch
    Affinity
    Pixelmator
    Procreate

etc....

10. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

11. midwesthawkeye macrumors newbie

I respect that Adobe was early to the Cloud/Subscription model, but I that if they are going to track our usage, then they owe us a "pay per use" style subscription. I am fully prepared to pay them a reasonable amount for the 200 or so hours a year that I actually use their software.

12. cube macrumors P6

What vector software is as good as Illustrator?

13. themachugger macrumors member

I can't entirely agree with this. They've certainly messed up a few things (like CPU multithreading in After Effects to instead introduce GPU rendering, which would have been fine but it's been implemented only on a FRACTION of their Effects) but their prices are reasonable for access to their entire suite of software. This is unlike a truly horrible company like Autodesk where you might pay $180+/month for one main application and a couple of supporting apps (you can easily do without).

14. Brewsta macrumors member

You do realize you have probably never “owned” software, right? You purchase and own a license to use software; a license that is almost always revocable by the company that sold it to you.

Subscription licensing doesn’t change the legal authority of the company to revoke the license or not.

15. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

I guess it's time to move on to Affinity
    What's the current best video editing app on iPad? I read about it the other day and it looked awesome, but I forget the name?

16. maverick28 macrumors regular

This is outrageous. Litigation there may be or not, this is a part of dirty play at hand. Just think of it, penetrating the user's computer, seizing control of his apps - this smells bunch of legal counter-actions. Big Brother watching you.
    Though I think it's a very disingenuous trick to force users to upgrade.

17. Tech198 macrumors G5

I'm glad Apple isn't this bad (yet)... and hopefully never will be..

But this is just bad for Adobe.... Its still a form of control.."If you use our service, you must always stay up to date, or else"

Seems like Adobe wants it their way. You buy a computer, and you don't own it anymore :p

18. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Yep, it's easy to find cracks and little apps that hide you etc. Adobe is bringing on the rise of Affinity

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They are still probably pissed off after Steve killed their Adobe Flash.

20. Tech198 macrumors G5

Ya, but cracks only get you so far as well when an update breaks them.. It's a constant change.. Adobe looks like they have their foot in the door, by preventing this or face fines.

Never knew a company could actually try and do that... I wonder who the court was that even thought this was ok.

21. uneeko1ne macrumors member

uneeko1ne

agree'd easy to find the cracks for adobe...

22. cube macrumors P6

Well, Adobe came up with CC and people just went for it, increasing profits. Who do you blame?

23. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

I use CC for my freelance clients, but will very seriously reconsider next time it's up for annual renewal. If Affinity (or some other) can deal with Illustrator files, I'd be very tempted to jump ship. Tired of Adobe's crap.

24. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Try Affinity Designer. Free demo available.

25. cube macrumors P6

Do they give you a free upgrade, or this is a problem only for legacy?