Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe's Recent Lightroom iOS App Update Deleted User Photos and Lost Data is Unrecoverable

ds2000

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
And that is why you don't put all your eggs in only one basket.

I have OneDrive and still do backups to my SSD external drives about every month or so.

(I use iCloud only for my iPhone and iPad).

Unfortunately thats not how the bug played out. I took a load of photos with light room where there was no signal.
Upon data resuming, I was logged out, asked to log back in, couldn't, I then spoke to Adobe support who set me up a new account, the result being all the photos were gone. Its happened twice now.

jjudson

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
And that is why you don't put all your eggs in only one basket.

I have OneDrive and still do backups to my SSD external drives about every month or so.

(I use iCloud only for my iPhone and iPad).

Exactly. I use OneDrive as well for my photo work (no need to have multiple clouds, you too, Apple), but I also automatically backup my data on a RAID drive in my office. Anyone who relies on a single source for their storage -- regardless of the service's reputation -- is a dummy.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Unfortunately thats not how the bug played out. I took a load of photos with light room where there was no signal.
Upon data resuming, I was logged out, asked to log back in, couldn't, I then spoke to Adobe support who set me up a new account, the result being all the photos were gone. Its happened twice now.

If it happened before then with all the more reasons you should have not trusted them.

minivini

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
This is why I will not consider the iPad a serious content creation tool, not without an easy versioned backup system like Mac’s Time Machine to safeguard against this precise type of disaster (also with an easy data restore system). iOS’s extreme sandboxing seems to be especially prone to this type of data loss that comes from app updates. The user’s fate is much more in the iOS app developers’ hands.

The cynical part of me suspects Adobe did this on purpose to “encourage” people to subscribe to adobe cloud.

The article states that some subscribers also lost images. This has the potential to end up costing Adobe big.
As far as using the iPad, it is a good tool, but it still can’t compete with raw computer horsepower. My primary tool is LightRoom, and with no DAM for external storage, it’s too hamstrung for me to use in any serious capacity. Having my images all in one place is one thing I learned the hard way when a LaCie RAID failed me years ago. I also learned why RAID 0 is evil!

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Always do your own backups. And remember, there is no cloud, just someone else's servers.

It makes my setup more complicated, but I'm huge on this. I use iCloud Drive, but I also have a hard drive big enough to have everything downloaded locally where I can back it up to Time Machine and a separate clone I keep offsite.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It's weird they killed this. iMovie has Final Cut Pro X. Garageband has Logic Pro. Why kill the corresponding "Pro" version of Photos?
Because Aperture never was nearly as successful as Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro? Or just made inroads early on but then got quickly eclipsed by Lightroom?

There is a, probably key, difference between Final Cut/Logic and Aperture. The former two were somewhat established apps created by a third-party each. Apple acquired Final Cut from Macromedia in 1998 and bought the maker of Logic, Emagic, in 2002. Both apps then spawned consumer versions in the form of iMovie in 1999 and Garageband in 2004.

With Aperture, this process happened in reverse. iPhoto (later Photos) was released first in 2002, with Aperture coming in 2005. The lack of success of Aperture could thus be attributed to them being too late in a market where Adobe was already entrenched or Apple not being able to establish a new 'pro' app on their own.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Can Mylio on iOS backup to local storage?
Your edits, etc on iOS will sync to all your "devices" (which include hard disk local storage on both my desktop and an external hard drive) the next time you connect.

I have a "backups" of my photo library as devices in Mylio but I also backup my desktop and hard drives separately as part of my comprehensive backup strategy.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Question for all of you!

If I am backing up to the Adobe Cloud, is it easy to make a backup of all that data? How have you done that?

Bob Br

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
Bring back Aperture apples app

Aperture is now grossly inferior, whereas it was simply inferior when it was still being updated. Lightroom is a wonderful app. A shame Adobe is the one that owns it. Besides, wasn’t the loss only on the iPad version?

I still recommend buying Lightroom 6 for the desktop. Drastically superior to Aperture and you own it.

Bob Br

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
I recommend you back up your most important photos, and other important files, to HTL Blu-Ray disc. It's easily the best and the most secure long term storage.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Aperture is now grossly inferior, whereas it was simply inferior when it was still being updated. Lightroom is a wonderful app. A shame Adobe is the one that owns it. Besides, wasn’t the loss only on the iPad version?

I still recommend buying Lightroom 6 for the desktop. Drastically superior to Aperture and you own it.

That's unfair. Aperture has been deprecated for about 5 years and could have developed considerably in that time. The filing capabilities / storage interface of Aperture is still better as can be separated from the filing system easily, even if the photo correction tools are much better in LR. I am using Photo Mechanic along side Lightroom to make up for some of that pain. For all these programs post import duplicate searching is still very lacking, so there is definitely room for improvement.

Generally Apple share some of the responsibility. An iPad or iPhone is relatively difficult to back up and is NOT a replacement for a computer whatever they say. LR on a PC is very fast and it does not seem as optimised for the Mac.

Reactions: Average Pro

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
There are few companies with a history of incompetence like Adobe‘s which are still in business.
I really wonder how a company like this can still exist.
Not just incompetence, but active user aggression. But then Apple dumped Aperture in the face of a little competition.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011

Where can you get LR6? I looked for months till I was able to find the 5.7.1 updates to my LR5 disk and settled for that.

Bob Br

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
That's unfair. Aperture has been deprecated for about 5 years and could have developed considerably in that time. The filing capabilities / storage interface of Aperture is still better as can be separated from the filing system easily, even if the photo correction tools are much better in LR. I am using Photo Mechanic along side Lightroom to make up for some of that pain. For all these programs post import duplicate searching is still very lacking, so there is definitely room for improvement.

Generally Apple share some of the responsibility. An iPad or iPhone is relatively difficult to back up and is NOT a replacement for a computer whatever they say. LR on a PC is very fast and it does not seem as optimised for the Mac.

Well, if Apple's current abilities in photo software design were applied then it would still be poor in comparison. Apple's Photo app sucks, on the Mac, iPad and iOS.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Your edits, etc on iOS will sync to all your "devices" (which include hard disk local storage on both my desktop and an external hard drive) the next time you connect.

I have a "backups" of my photo library as devices in Mylio but I also backup my desktop and hard drives separately as part of my comprehensive backup strategy.
I was thinking about a scenario where one shoots a lot without internet access, imports images onto an iPad and into Mylio and would like to create another copy of the images on something like Samsung T5.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I was thinking about a scenario where one shoots a lot without internet access, imports images onto an iPad and into Mylio and would like to create another copy of the images on something like Samsung T5.
You'd need to go to Mylio and ask them. Mylio does sync "across operating systems: Mac, Windows, iPhone, & Android" according to their website. So I'm assuming, but you'd need to confirm, that your Samsung T5 could be one of your devices. But you photos wouldn't sync until you had internet access. https://mylio.com

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
And that is why I don't trust software that is all inclusive including my files...just like Apple was pushing iOS to be with no apparent files system *~^~^~it just works~^~^~*

no it doesn't...please keep my files and saved work away from any updates. I had to suffer opened tabs a couple of times due to upgrades. Plus, the idea of saving to the cloud means that I shouldn't lose my files since they keep backups any way, for few months at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.