Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe's Recent Lightroom iOS App Update Deleted User Photos and Lost Data is Unrecoverable

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
And that is why you don't put all your eggs in only one basket.

I have OneDrive and still do backups to my SSD external drives about every month or so.

(I use iCloud only for my iPhone and iPad).

Ya, but if you don't use any cloud service, that would be one big exception..... It's basically "forcing" you to use cloud backups over an 'accidental' lost on local device..

Shame you can't just export it to a local drive. With cloud services you put more trust in them, than yourself.

Multiple clould services are better, but your still trusting more people. Nothing beats a good local backup.

Comment

scottbelsky

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
NY/SF
Just chiming in with an apology for this on behalf of our whole team. We take this stuff extremely seriously and there was a major hustle to fix and then a major debrief. This incident was a client side bug in this particular iOS update that impacted a small set of customers using the free version (not syncing w/ our services yet). The team fixed in a follow-up update within 24 hours.

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Just chiming in with an apology for this on behalf of our whole team. We take this stuff extremely seriously and there was a major hustle to fix and then a major debrief. This incident was a client side bug in this particular iOS update that impacted a small set of customers using the free version (not syncing w/ our services yet). The team fixed in a follow-up update within 24 hours.

Ok. I accept your apology. Now give me money.

Comment

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Have you ever used any of the Adobe’s paid software ?

Yep, loads. Dreaweaver and the creative suite and more.

Pixelmator Pro is much better for photo editing and Dreamweaver is a joke for the price they demand.

For over 15 years now I have been going back and trialing Adobe software again but it never gets better.

Comment

Michael J

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
Seattle
I've been using LR iPad with my new iPad Pro 11 for the past two weeks and I really like the Workflow. It's much easier and faster to get first-cut edits while outside, plus I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me (I have a brand new MBP 13" 2020 and it still dies within four hours. Compare that to 10+ hours for my iPadPro).

HOWEVER (sorry for the caps) it is not a stand-alone solution and is only part of the Workflow. I have LR Classic on my desktop and I have it set to automatically move all sync'd photos directly to the default YYYY/MM/DD folder structure there, so it is automatically backed up locally as long as my Mac is actually running.

Then, about once a week, I remove all my RAW files from the cloud by deleting them from the "All Synced Photographs" catalog, which removes them from the Cloud. I can then 'add them back' by adding those photos to specific Collections, which I have set to sync only Smart Previews through the Cloud to LR on my other devices.

So in short: Store locally, sync Smart Previews only.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.