Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
This isn't meant to be a slam against Apple (because I love Apple), but the reason people pay a premium for their products has nothing to do with logic. It's never about numbers, specs, or processors. It has everything to do with how you feel using the product. And no one, bar none, does that better than Apple. It's completely about the user experience. How I feel when I open my MacBook Air, how I feel when I grab my iOS device to do something...it's difficult to put into words. In that regard, it is kind of like religion: it defies logic, but makes some people feel good.

Yes, I use a Dell laptop for work, and my work-provided Galaxy S3 out-specs my iPhone 5. But, in the end, I am stuck using Windows and Android. There is zero emotional attachment to these devices. It's just the way it is for a lot of us.

I don't see how your post could ever be taken as a slam against Apple. It is an extreme compliment in my view, and for the most part exactly right. I think sometimes people buy Apple for specs alone, such as Retina iPads or MBPs. But the biggest factor as you mention is overall design integration of hardware/software. No one makes their users as happy with the overall concept and delivered product as Apple does.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Customers Prefer $300 iPad Mini Over a $200 Google or Amazon Tablet

Not trying to fan the flames on a platform war. But found this article on PadGadget:

Customers Prefer $300 iPad Mini Over a $200 Google or Amazon Tablet
By Jillian | June 28, 2012

Google announcing their Nexus 7 tablet may have an unexpected side effect: it might serve as market research for Apple. When Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt surveyed a group of consumers to ask what kinds of tablets they were most interested in, the results may not be what Google is hoping to hear.

When asked whether they would prefer a $300 7-inch iPad or a $200 7-inch Android tablet, 26.1% responded that they would buy the iPad Mini while only 8.5% indicated that they would be interested in a lower-priced Android model.

I am not sure why these results would come as any surprise to Google –Amazon has a similar “bargain tablet” that faired well out of the gate (due in large part to the holiday season I would suspect) but saw sales taper off soon after the release and subsequent shipment of the units.

The survey also revealed another interesting detail: 34.4% of respondents aren’t interested in a tablet of any size or type. It also appears that the market for tablets with a 10″ screen is still going strong, with 22.9% indicating they would hold out for the larger form factor.

None of these things really matter right now though, given that Apple hasn’t even announced that they are bringing out a smaller version of the iPad (though speculation has them releasing just such a unit sometime later this year). What does matter is the mounting evidence that people are interested in having the choice between larger and smaller tablets, which may mean Apple has to take notice or eventually lose out.

Initial reactions to the new Nexus 7 seem to be very positive with most indicating that the device looks solid and feature-rich for the price and size. We will know soon whether the hype matches the reality as pre-orders for the Nexus have already begun with shipments expected to start in mid-July.

http://www.padgadget.com/2012/06/28...ipad-mini-over-a-200-google-or-amazon-tablet/

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Except the Google event for cancelled because of hurricane Sandy. They have not said what the new date will be.

They don't need an event to announce products. Like they did this morning. The tablet was already in stores. The notion of not selling it because they can't hold a press conference about it is idiotic, I'm sorry if that is crass and insulting. But that really is a dumb notion for 2 people to point out.

----------

Well the Google event got delayed for now I think.. I am curious to see the specs of the Nexus 10 and such, but I think they cancelled the Monday event because of the storm.

See above

Last edited:

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
Whats the real advantage of choosing ipad mini over any other smaller tablets, apart from the apple logo.

1) It does not even have a HD screen whereas kindle and other have a hd screen
2) Price is a good 130-140 more.
3) Compared to kindle speakers are crappy.

I am trying to understand why people are crazy about the ipad mini when its not even close to being the best product. I understand that the ipad is the best in the market.

Engineering philosphy/design weigh a lot for me. I'll agree that they do use adequate speakers. I wish they could address that on their products.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have. People raised an equally big stink about the iPod mini when it first came out. The first one had a 4 GB capacity, compared to the 10 GB iPod. However, the iPod mini was not that much cheaper than the regular iPod. People howled. There was much gnashing of teeth. And the iPod mini became a hit.

To be fair the iPod Mini only lasted 2 generations and was replaced by the Nano... I have one still, frankensteined it with a 16gb CF card and a bigger battery. It now flies and lasts about 26 hours on a charge.

ugc

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
London
I see things like that.

PROS
- OS
- Apps
- Battery
- Usability
- Design
- Build quality
- Thinness
- Compatibility with other devices from the same brand

For all these matters, I sincerely think the iPad Mini is the best in its category.

CONS
- Price
- Resolution

Price : I think the price for the 16 Go is quite right, but I really find outrageous from Apple to charge us up to £170 for extra memory. I know roughly the price for such components, this is simply ridiculous. This is the only thing that I really don't like about Apple products.

Resolution : Having owned an iPad 2 for 6 months, i never complained about the screen, which was very good for reading or even running hd games with the A5 processor. This is not really a problem for me, but i admit the product is not as good as its opponents on this regard.

Now you just have to define your priorities and make your choice accordingly. If the price and the resolution are too much a problem for you and the other things don't compensate, then go buy something else.

Personally, I don't care if I could have gotten a bit more resolution or a bit more power for my money. I simply think the iPad Mini is a better product over all the other matters. Of course there is this "Apple Magic" that makes you dependent to their products but I really think you can buy their products for their specs. The only issue I have with it is the price. But as I have some money currently I'm going to buy one on Friday.

Last edited:

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I checked out the ipad mini and I could not be more wrong. Its no comparison to the kindle or nexus. Its definitely not a cheap ipad and totally worth the cost.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Android tablets are more likely to transmit diseases and be covered in saliva. Fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.