Advantages of 4th Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Woofie2010, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Woofie2010 macrumors member

Woofie2010

I have a 2nd Gen ipod touch, and im thinking of getting the 4th gen.

I just want to know what the advantages are

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The readability of the screen is night and day. The cameras, while not amazing (though under the right conditions you can take some great pics), are amazingly convenient.

I upgraded from the 2nd gen and I've been nothing short of satisfied.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

BATTERY LIFE

FACETIME!!!

:eek:

seriously battery life. I sold my 1st gen and got the 4th gen. I love the fact that I'm not charging my iTouch 3-4 times a day.

Retina display is really cool.

Facetime. I like using this feature when I'm out and about. Connecting with friends with a video call is sweet esp. when its on an ipod.

Voice Control allows you to watch the road while driving. Just say the track and Voice Control finds the song for you. Its a lot better on the iPod than on the Mac.

4. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Camera; facetime; built in microphone; retina display; thinner with a flat back so it doesn't rock on a table; multitasking; and front facing camera as well as the back camera.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch

5. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

facetime, battery, retina screen, Three axis gyroscope, and a weak back camera, and much more.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. citizenal macrumors regular

Much faster processor. If you have plants vs zombies it will be night and day on how much faster it loads up. Also there was some lag when switching apps and flipping through pages for me, I guess it's because I had over 8 pages of apps before they had folders. Either way, i'm really happy with how snappy it is compared to my 2nd gen.

8. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

What? How do you do that in iTunes?

9. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Is the retina display on the iPod touch the exact same display as on the iPhone 4? The tech specs page for the iPhone is more detailed than the iPod touch page, although both pages report the same screen resolution.

10. aNYthing24 macrumors member

Same resolution, no IPS panel though. It's harder to see at certain (see: extreme) angles.

11. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Righto. Doesn't sound like too much of a problem.

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Just the performance increase and battery life is worth the upgrade. And you get 960X640 screen thats just awesome, front facing VGA camera for video calling, iOS4 with multi-tasking

13. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Sorry, but either I would have bought it a few months ago already or just wait for the 5th generation. You are not missing that much with a iPod Touch 2G.

Check out a 4th gen. in the stores.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mofunk
    Just say the track and Voice Control finds the song for you. Its a lot better on the iPod than on the Mac.

You press and hold down the home button. Then Voice Control comes on. You can activate it when the iPod is locked too. I like to use that feature when I'm driving.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3597

This feature is in IO4 but only with 4th Gen iTouch and iPhones. I tried it on some of the 3rd gen iTouch and I couldn't activate it.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Are you serious? It's only 3-4 months old. And it has a good 8 months before it gets updated.

The 4G has a lot of advantages over the 2G. speed, retina display, camera.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Speed. Really, that's probably the first and most significant thing you realize when moving from 2nd gen iPod Touch to the 4th Gen. You may not realize the retina display until you play with the thing longer and looking at photos, videos, and websites, but the speed in everything, including scrolling and launching apps is significantly improved. Highly recommended, especially if you play a lot of games, running a lot of apps, etc. The 2nd gen Touch is pretty much 2 processor generation behind the A4.

I consider the other features like camera, facetime, and video recording as bonuses (really, sub 1MP picture is not that mind blowing). Somebody mentioned battery life compared to the 1st gen. Yeah, the 1st gen iPod Touch does suck at battery life, but the 2nd gen Touch is pretty good in battery life already for basic use of music playback and whatnot.

See what you use your iPod Touch for. If you only use it for music and your current Touch gives you enough capacity, then save the money and keep using it. But if you are an app/games junkie, and know you want the camera features and whatnot, then the 4th gen Touch is a great buy.