Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

145724-jobs_iphone_4.jpg

Advertising Age today announced that it has selected Apple as its "Marketer of the Decade", removing the company from the running for its annual "Marketer of the Year" award to present it with a first-ever award recognizing Apple's prominence over the last ten years.
It seems fitting: Apple kicked off the aughts in 2001 with the iPod, an electronic device that went on to disrupt and forever change the music industry; then mid-decade it dropped the iPhone, a mobile device that changed the mobile-phone industry and added the word "apps" to the English vocabulary; and finally, in 2010 it debuted the iPad, a computing device with the potential to disrupt the media, publishing, entertainment and computing industries.

Yes, it has been a golden decade for Apple. And while one can certainly argue that its influence has been overstated -- it is No. 56 on the list of Fortune 500 by revenue -- Apple's influence on business models across industries from music and computing to entertainment and advertising, along with its impact on popular culture, media and, of course, marketing, has been indelible.
The report points to Apple's high-profile advertising campaigns over the years, from the "Switch" and "Mac vs. PC" ads for Mac to the dancing silhouette iPod ads and the latest iPad commercials, as examples of the company's instant recognizability in the industry.

From the brand loyalty shown by the company's customers to the money invested by Apple into its retail store initiative, Apple's "golden decade" has seen the company's marketing prowess help drive it to #56 on the list of Fortune 500 by revenue.

Apple won a nearly-identical award last December from AdweekMedia, which also broke its rankings down into a number of other categories and where Apple took home the lion's share of top honors.

Article Link: 'Advertising Age' Names Apple 'Marketer of the Decade'

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Let me guess, they want to give Old Spice the award for this year so they had to come up with a new category so they could let them both win something.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Let me guess, they want to give Old Spice the award for this year so they had to come up with a new category so they could let them both win something.

Ford won 2010 Marketer of the Year, in large part for declining federal TARP bailout funds, and the consequent good publicity and sales gains that followed the move.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ford won 2010 Marketer of the Year, in large part for declining federal TARP bailout funds, and the consequent good publicity and sales gains that followed the move.

Well then I guess they're talking about next year? I'm referring to this part:

...removing the company from the running for its annual "Marketer of the Year" award...

That sounds like they're talking about something that hasn't been picked yet. So 2011 is what they meant...I guess?

macford

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Oh the irony of showing the picture of Steve holding the mythical, and still undelivered, white iPhone for Apple winning a marketing award. Almost as genius as Huffington Post using the Tom Cruise picture from "Top Gun" in the article about the halting of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Well done MacRumors.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
They should be the marketer of the century.

They have convinced many people they are this hip company selling stuff "for people, by people" when in fact they are just alike every other company out there. They use heavy handed tactics, cheap Chinese labor, have shareholders to make happy, have profit goals, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am a conservative by nature and I believe in the free market, I don't believe in wage caps, and I believe a company should be able to make as much profit as it wants. I just think it's amazing Apple found a way to market itself as different when in fact it's not.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

They have convinced many people they are this hip company selling stuff "for people, by people" when in fact they are just alike every other company out there. They use heavy handed tactics, cheap Chinese labor, have shareholders to make happy, have profit goals, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am a conservative by nature and I believe in the free market, I don't believe in wage caps, and I believe a company should be able to make as much profit as it wants. I just think it's amazing Apple found a way to market itself as different when in fact it's not.

The iPod was just like every other mp3 player out there? The iPhone was like every other smartphone out there? The iPad was like every tablet out there?

OSX was like every other operating system out there? (Present excellently copied OSX, windows 7 excluded)

Sounds like they may have done some things the past 10 years.

:rolleyes:

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

You sound bitter about something. Apple are indeed very different from all the competitors in so many ways. You must be living on Mars not to know that. Oh wait a minute I see you may be in Texas ...

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
The iAd group is now having a kegger...

"Um, yeah, we won marketer of the DECADE. So, yes, we know what we're doing."

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

They actually deserve the award for very positive reasons, none of which you've posted of course. :p

During the heaviest recession (especially in the U.S) Apple managed to exceed the quarterly goals which many companies have failed. In tern, they are able to put more money into the system by employing more people so in the end, it's a win win.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Oh the irony of showing the picture of Steve holding the mythical, and still undelivered, white iPhone for Apple winning a marketing award. Almost as genius as Huffington Post using the Tom Cruise picture from "Top Gun" in the article about the halting of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Well done MacRumors.

Haha. I saw that too. You beat me to it. That is rather ironic isn't it.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Definitely Apple.
There is no argument that they have a lot of great products. But even for bad products and generic features they can still market it as if it is the most amazing thing ever.

The best (and funniest) moment was the way they marketed the Shuffle feature in the very first gum stick iPod Shuffle. They somehow managed to turn the screen-less Shuffle as if it a a great "feature" because "now you can surprise yourself when you 'shuffle' your songs without a screen!!" I remember I was like "Huh? Isn't every music player out there in existence has a shuffle mode already? Other companies don't even bother to mention it as a feature nowadays." Yet everyone was like "OMG Apple just revolutionized the whole industry". :rolleyes: :apple:

(And this is just one of the many examples)

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Why are there so many negative comments about Apple on a website dedicated to Apple rumors?

Why can't you people just be happy and go to a different forum?

Apple deserves this award, hard work in innovation really pays off :)

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
You sound bitter about something. Apple are indeed very different from all the competitors in so many ways. You must be living on Mars not to know that. Oh wait a minute I see you may be in Texas ...

I'm not bitter about anything. Of course they're different from competitors all companies are different. If they were all the same there would be no point to competition.

That does not negate my statement. Apple has made huge profits, they use cheap Chinese labor, Steve Jobs is filthy rich like so many other CEOs, they use heavy handed tactics towards their competitors and so forth. I'm not opposed to their tactics, profits, or use of Chinese labor but I'm just pointing out the fact. In that aspect they are like most every other company. For whatever reason people believe just don't want to believe that to be the case with Apple.

Some people are upset the CEO of Exxon made $27 million last year and people seem to be upset of Exxon's "massive profits" even though their profit margin is a small 8.3%. However nobody really has a problem with Steve Jobs making $14 billion at Apple nor do they have a problem with their 20.7% profit. Even though Apple makes over twice as much profit as an oil company people hate them for some reason but you'll never hear a hipster talk about Apple "making too much".

For the slow people, I have no problem with Steve's payrate or Apple's profit margin. I hope Apple rakes in billions more, it helps the economy.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yet everyone was like "OMG Apple just revolutionized the whole industry". :rolleyes::apple:

Really.

I would be very interested in seeing even one article where someone claimed that the shuffle's lack of a screen "revolutionized the whole industry."

Since you claim that everyone said it, it should be easy to find one.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007

I'm not going to get into "Apple makes good products..." arguments - I think that's what everyone else is saying.

But...

There's always this underlying assumption that marketing is the end all for a product. That good marketing trumps bad products or that good products fail because of bad marketing. It's not that simple. Marketing works with many other areas to convince someone to buy something. Sometimes its the product (Engineering, R&D), sometimes its the price (Accounting, Finance), sometimes its the leadership (Management).

Apple wins because they run a complete business; soup to nuts.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Os X

What no mention of OS X...the best thing to happen to the personal computer...ever...and they did advertize the heck out of it which the article mentions...but not specifally by name.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I just love MacRumors discussions.... nothing and no one will stop me from reading them..:)) congrats for an award.. but just as I think they do sell their products really well I also think that their products should sell easier than any other due to the quality and ideas behind... But nowadays product itself is the marketing, so that goes well then... Product is the message!

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Some people are upset the CEO of Exxon made $27 million last year and people seem to be upset of Exxon's "massive profits" even though their profit margin is a small 8.3%. However nobody really has a problem with Steve Jobs making $14 billion at Apple nor do they have a problem with their 20.7% profit. Even though Apple makes over twice as much profit as an oil company people hate them for some reason but you'll never hear a hipster talk about Apple "making too much".

For the slow people, I have no problem with Steve's payrate or Apple's profit margin. I hope Apple rakes in billions more, it helps the economy.

The problem with your analogy is that Exxon (and all the oil tycoons out there) profited off something the average consumer had no control over. We were strong armed into believing that prices were on the rise because of some completely fabricated reason. However, we couldn't say "no" because the entire industry was forcing these prices. We didn't have a choice, we need gas to drive, to work, to pay for the roof over our head.

Conversely, we have a choice with Apple. We don't like them, we buy from someone else. Apples prices have not risen, and in fact stayed the same, usually with some added value.

And unfortunately, everyone uses cheap labor. Nature of business... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.