Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Just imagine the overflowing creativity possible with Cook always asking, "How much does this cost again?, Can't we just put up a spinning iPhone and be done with it?"

Cook would be fine releasing a mashup of unused cutting floor content from previous ads with a Memoji narrator and jolly stock music if it would save ad budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: HJM.NL

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
I
You cannot say "iphones dont wirelessly charge" and "costs a grand" in the same complaint. Their $1000 phones do wirelessly charge, heck even their $600ish phones wirelessly charge.
I'm referring to the mythical AirPower. Where's that?
Also, the 'costs a grand' still stands. Unless you're going to say that Apple doesn't overcharge for their gear.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would have quit too if I had produced such iconic, influential body of work for a company that now seems perfectly content with vapid Memoji tripe.
And that’s grown to be nearly a trillion dollars in valuation and raking in $$$/quarter. Yes, times have changed at Apple and it’s up to the reader to decide for better or worse. My take, for the better.
[doublepost=1550172560][/doublepost]
I thought Apple devices used to sell themselves though (that's what many commenters here seem to believe). Why did Apple need "amazing and memorable ads" back then and can get away with less memorable ones now and still sell so many devices (even though theses devices are less "awesome or innovative").

I'm just replying to you to latch on to what you said to point out inconsistencies in people's arguments against Apple (not saying you're being inconsistent).
It’s possible for the iPhone to sell itself and still have corporate advertising behind it and still not have that straw-man inconsistency going on. For an example if a well known brand that doesn’t let up see coke.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
And that’s grown to be nearly a trillion dollars in valuation and raking in $$$/quarter. Yes, times have changed at Apple and it’s up to the reader to decide for better or worse. My take, for the better.

Well, my friend, therein lies the big contradiction. When they were "hungry and foolish" they wouldn't push half-baked trash to the market because their image was critically dependent on top spec delivery. Now that they're the highest valuated company they coast along based on brand recognition alone and sell whatever comes out of the Foxconn conveyor belt.

The reader doesn't buy a trillion dollars for Cook to play with and doesn't benefit from that either, they buy a gawd-expensive device that's likely to flex, break or malfunction within weeks.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, my friend, therein lies the big contradiction. When they were "hungry and foolish" they wouldn't push half-baked trash to the market because their image was critically dependent on top spec delivery. Now that they're the highest valuated company they coast along based on brand recognition alone and sell whatever comes out of the Foxconn conveyor belt.

The reader doesn't buy a trillion dollars for Cook to play with and doesn't benefit from that either, they buy a gawd-expensive device that's likely to flex, break or malfunction within weeks.
Right we all know apple never produced in failures in the past, pre-2011, that came off of Foxconn conveyor belt.

For the record, The reader/consumer/customer benefits from a large company with enough resources to carry on the company mission.

In the olden days, cases were given out. Today jeans are tighter than ever to your point.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Right we all know apple never produced in failures in the past, pre-2011, that came off of Foxconn conveyor belt.

For the record, The reader/consumer/customer benefits from a large company with enough resources to carry on the company mission.

In the olden days, cases were given out. Today jeans are tighter than ever to your point.

Of course there were defects and mistakes. There weren't DOA garbage like the TouchBar MacBook Pros or pre-bent iPads that "are OK", a useless Siri and cluttered SKUs across their entire product line. They'd focus on a trim list of strong products and swiftly take corrective action instead of a lame apology.

The reader doesn't benefit from a large indifferent company that doesn't care enough to use its own resources and is bleeding said reader through the nose to buy their non-upgrades.

I don't even get what your last sentence is supposed to mean.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course there were defects and mistakes. There weren't DOA garbage like the TouchBar MacBook Pros or pre-bent iPads that "are OK", a useless Siri and cluttered SKUs across their entire product line. They'd focus on a trim list of strong products and swiftly take corrective action instead of a lame apology.

The reader doesn't benefit from a large indifferent company that doesn't care enough to use its own resources and is bleeding said reader through the nose to buy their non-upgrades.

I don't even get what your last sentence is supposed to mean.
The reader even edits from a company that gives them what they want. Making $84B it’s obvious people were buying apple products. Some maybe because they liked the products. Others because apple products are the best of the worst or some others because they are stuck. 84B is a large number for an indifferent corporation to foist on unsuspecting customers.

So your post in the context of apple’s earnings doesn’t make much sense.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Those were amazing and memorable ads.

Now an iPhone spins in a circle. Creativity has left the building.
So too has 80% of vision having left the building it seems, seems but too easily seen.
[doublepost=1550201063][/doublepost]
I was too young when it aired, and was a hardcore PC gamer in the 90's when I finally saw it. Very iconic of the times in early home computers-no one knew what they could do yet-because we were the beta testers. It was all symbolism and hype-but this ad took the cake in reaching. One of the first ad's I'll never forget-I loved it.

Beta testers we were ... but this was no hyperbole the Macintosh did what it was promised ... just delayed when software was available. I feel the secrecy need also hindered the software development from 3rd parties.

Laserwriter printer - changed the industry into what it is and has been since 1990ish.
Voice on a computer (horrible then but led us to what we have now ... AI close assistants.
GUI ... man GUI!
Simple easy setup! (networking was horrible but they did try their best)
Drawing on a computer!!
Easy to use and read software and manuals respectively!!
^ you have NO IDEA what it was like to read manuals, load software via cassette on a Vic20 or C64 back then!!! EEEK. (Later 3600 baud modems for C64 gave us BBS ... the infant before internet)

The Macintosh was a visionary computer ... not unlike what KnightRider was to the car industry today: AI, TV screens, remote start, remote lock/unlock, maps, autonomous driving, etc.
[doublepost=1550201130][/doublepost]
For me the ad campaigns he made stood for something. It made me feel proud using Apple gear. Today's Apple ads can be from anyone... change the name... and voilà.

I wish him a good retirement and thank him for his excellent job.

Artist do what they do best ... create ART ... vision with purpose!

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Anyone else just rewatch all the MAC vs PC ads... loved them - simple, witty and memorable.

The jabs at the disaster that was Vista were hilarious.

Where’s that charm these days? So much has changed in a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: HJM.NL and trifid

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Anyone else just rewatch all the MAC vs PC ads... loved them - simple, witty and memorable.

The jabs at the disaster that was Vista were hilarious.

Where’s that charm these days? So much has changed in a decade.
Vista's release was a very dark time for Microsoft. They recovered with Windows 7 and though (IMHO) Windows is still not as good as an experience as macOS or iOS, it's user experience is fine.

Reactions: TVreporter

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
I'm not sure Mac vs. PC was such a good idea in the long term. Whilst it no doubt made existing Mac users feel all superior and special (I am, always have been and probably always will be one of those users), and it will have made some PC users switch because they didn't want to look like the beige nerd, I think it probably alienated lot of PC users as well, I can imagine many saying "f**k you, I'm never switching now". May have even led to a lot of the unjustified hate that's directed towards Apple now.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I

I'm referring to the mythical AirPower. Where's that?
Also, the 'costs a grand' still stands. Unless you're going to say that Apple doesn't overcharge for their gear.
If you want to look at the highest priced phone they make, then sure.. Apple does make very good phones at much more reasonable prices. $600 for the iPhone 8 is a very reasonable price, same with the iPhone 7 at $449.

Apple products have always been on the higher end of the price spectrum. This isn't something new.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
When Apple made great Ads.
Sadly no more and for a long time.

Hey but we have Emojis,.....place barfing emoji here.

Reactions: Greymacuser

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
^ you have NO IDEA what it was like to read manuals, load software via cassette on a Vic20 or C64 back then!!! EEEK....

The Macintosh was a visionary computer ... not unlike what KnightRider was to the car industry today: AI, TV screens, remote start, remote lock/unlock, maps, autonomous driving, etc.
[doublepost=1550201130][/doublepost]

Artist do what they do best ... create ART ... vision with purpose!

Oh I'm familiar with Tandy, Commodore, 286's, etc-EEEK indeed. :)

Art imitates life, which imitates art-game changers indeed.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
I know that most marketing/advertising can get too commercial for some people.

However, I love how creativity and ingenuity have to work together when you're really trying to tell a story. There are so many ways to tell a story, but even more ways to tell it wrong! I love how the collaboration lasted so long, and had different layers to it.

If you really like Lee Clow, Chiat/Day, or, just love good advertising, there is a really cool documentary called, "Art and Copy," I'm sure it's on a few platforms for rental or purchase. There are some really great stories in there, including interviews with Lee Clow regarding the original Mac ad, specifically how, when the board of directors didn't like the $1,000,000 cost for a Super Bowl Ad, Jobs and Wozniak looked at each other, and agreed to pay for it themselves.

Also, stories about advertising greats behind campaigns like "Got Milk," "MTV," "Budweiser Frogs" (specifically killing them off), and Hal Riney, who wrote the ads for Reagan's "It's Morning in America" campaign (no politics intended!), among others.

In fact, the documentary is available on YouTube.

55:30 into the documentary is Lee Clow talking about the original Apple 1984 ad.

Sorry for all the extra information, but I thought some people would enjoy it!

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.