Advertising Parallels in the MacUpdate bundle

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by CanadaRAM, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I have to weigh in on this:
    MacRumors is advertising "Parallels, DVDRemaster Pro, StoryMill and More..." in the MacUpdate App Bundle.

Parallels is not in fact part of what you get for the $64.99. It MAY become part of it, but IMO advertising it as if it was part of the package is not legit.

What you're getting is 7 apps and a lottery ticket. I would be much more comfortable if the advertisement did not promise goods that are not guaranteed to be available.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'd agree with that, CanadaRAM. Is it an MR thing though, or is it the MacUpdate people are advertising it?

3. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MacUpdate calls it a "Parallels Bundle" - which I object to. MacRumors is a sponsor/partner in the promotion

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think it has been changed now

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Doesn't it become part of the bundle if so many bundles are sold though? In the same way the MacHeist bundle works? So it's less of a lottery ticket, more of a waiting game.

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

do wiu type that woof thing every time? Why not just put it in your sig?

7. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IIRC Images are not allowed in sigs.

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I agree, this ad which is being shown on the front page of MacRumors is very deceiving:

[​IMG]

It implies that you're getting Parallels, when in fact, if the sales numbers aren't high enough, you won't.

9. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

They adjusted downward the unlock for SoundStudio, so I believe they will take appropriate actions to ensure that the bundle will unlock in it's entirety.
    Lighten up. If you don't like it, DON"T BUY IT!

10. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't see what the big deal is - they make it very clear before purchasing that it needs to hit the set number of sales for Parallels to unlock.

Obviously, this is the flagship program in the bundle and it's more likely they'll reach their desired sales by promoting that it could be included than just mentioning a generic collection of apps.

It's far from a bait and switch, or anything as scandalous. If it bothers you that much, try to never watch any shop-at-home channels :)

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

That's just it, though. It doesn't advertise that it could be included (according to the advertisement image in atari1356's post). It advertises that it IS included, which it could not be if they don't sell enough.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

fwiw, it's obviously going to be unlocked no matter what the sales. They've adjusted the unlocks down already.

arn

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I figured that was probably the case. I just like to be pedantic on occasion. :)

14. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

And by a large amount. Parallels is now going to be unlocked at 6100 sales... originally I think it was around 15,000.

Still this and the MacHeist bundles just seem like shady marketing to me. Wouldn't they sell just as many bundles, or possibly more, without the "unlocking" gimmick?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

16. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Although it doesn't make much difference now I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster. Like others I also question the form of this campaign. Especially if they lower the unlock-numbers to make sure all the apps are unlocked. Personally I didn't place my order until all the apps were unlocked, and in reality I think a clean bundle-sale would result in more customers...

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Ah, on the wiforums, that picture does not show up...