Advice :: Iphone 3G or Samsung Instinct or Other Smartphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xplicit, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Xplicit macrumors member

Please dont say - Apple cause your their # 1 support customer

Well since rogers will charge me an avg of 100$mnth for a @$$ decent plan,

someone in my other post suggested the samsung Instinct, any ideas or suggestions

Also my Top 5 or 10 w.e will be coming out in a few weeks, for students - basically extra 20$ and u can call those 10 people unlimited

Bell and Telus will over 40$ unlimited Data, even thought the phone does not have wifi, this wont be an issue.

Looking for a smart phone

Main Uses im a student so':

Email, Phone, Web, Music GPS

2. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Your coming to a MacRumors site, inside the iPhone forums, and expect people to not recommend the iPhone?

Both the Instinct can handle music, web, GPS, and email. However, if you have a bunch of music from the iTunes Store, go with the iPhone.

The iPhone browser is a little better, as people have said navigating the Instinct's browser is a tad more difficult.

The Instinct has turn-by-turn directions, while the iPhone does not (natively).

For email, both will suit your needs.

I forgot about a student discount. If that is important for you, the Instinct will undoubtedly be cheaper. Still, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either one.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

4. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

I've heard that the instinct has a slow browser - im from canada, but I can prob get the device in states and use the Sim Card here with Unlimited Plan - not a problem

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I honestly don't see how people are choosing other smartphones. If you have to second guess the iPhone then it isn't for you. The people I have talked to said that once they pick it up they fall in love and immediately buy it or buy it in the near future.

I recommend the iPhone 3G because of the great UI, 3G network, easy-to-use features, Apps Store, frequent updates, amazing web browser etc.

6. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

In canada, being a student with not really a high income and Rogers outrages prices, for 90$ mnth for 300MB of data, is really bad.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

By a week monday, you'll have all the hard core comparisons you'll need.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If price is your main thing, then go with anything other than the iPhone. I do agree that if you are second guessing it, and not blindly following the crowd, then the iPhone may not be for you.

In the states, AT&T is charging $130 a month, which is standard as others say, but it's crazy compared to other plans that give you much more than anything AT&T could offer. The Instinct is winning out because it's on a cheaper network that has more services, and the phone itself has more features.

To be honest, the only reason to choose the iPhone is for the UI and iTunes/Mobile Me syncing. Other than that it's just like any other phone from 2005. The down side is that other phones don't have that UI or iTunes syncing, but they have the many features that people are still hoping to get in the iPhone, like copy paste, and video recording.

If you want to save money on cheaper plans that offer the same or more, go for any other phone. If you don't mind paying much more for a glossy UI and iTunes, then go for the iPhone.

p.s. Read a lot of reviews if you want another opinion. Many say the browser suck, some say it's okay, many are biased towards the iPhone because of the UI, and many are biased towards other phone because of their many many features.

9. skierdb526 macrumors regular

Youll want the iPhone. I can say that although the instinct commercials make the phone out to be a cool device... remember what they advertise is all youre getting. with the iphone 3g youre going to be getting all that and more. It has apple customer service which is the best there is, and the app store which will make the iPhone the platform preferred by serious developers. This means that even if other companies bring out iPhone competition, it will lack the developer community. Meaning once the thought of saving money is gone youll be left with what you have and nothing more to come. bummer.

10. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Developing aspect is not bad :)

Does Iphone have notes, I mean it sounds stupid but my pearl doesnt :(

I'm going to see if rogers will be more customizable with their data plans, but will be in wifi zone 70% of my time so 30$ for 300mbs might be ok with me :)

which will bring my billing to 90$ total

11. skierdb526 macrumors regular

12. xA4Hx macrumors member

Ok, I started reading the first couple lines. Then I couldnt believe my eyes so I scrolled to the bottom and hit reply. From the information I have read on the instinct yes it has a lot of plus. But for the love of god dont by it for email review I read says it has sprint mobile email. God I hate that stupid application I tried it on another phone. Before me and sprint got into it. Lets just say I told them after returning the aircard if they didnt give me my money back before the next bill, I would cancel. Next call I told them and they transfered me to a fax line. After that I was in an Att store transfering out 2 of my numbers and canceling their 3rd. Paid 3 cancelation fees. All they had to do was pay me the 130 that I didnt get a check for until this month and to put things in perspective I signed up for att 3/2008 and it is 7/2008. Unacceptable.

Anyhow , I dont like their email program , and as far as I read you have to be on the unlimited plan 99.99 if you want the phone not a bad deal but programs mean everything and email program just plan sucks if all they have is sprint mobile email and the browser isnt up to par from what I saw. Now I am talking first hand experince on the email program , because they use it in several phones but rest I read up on. Remeber sprint isnt doing well. Also Instinct you still need to buy a micro-sd for music but if you spend a little you can get the 16gb iphone model and be fine. Just my thoughts this sounds biased but really isnt because last year alone I had sprint , tmobile , verizon , and att. Yes I was with att last year and sold my iphone due to sprint being cheaper but you will get to miss the quality of work that was put into iphone , like browser and email program are major differences, among many other things.

-illusion

Ps. When I give you a choice , pick the right one or it will cost you

13. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, Thanks for the reply,

I think im gonna get the iphone - due to it support and app developing,

I can prob get away with what I have or maybe even just take the 300MBs and the Student Plan for 25$ which will bring me to 55$ -

I think I can be okie,

I live in canada

so im limited to

Rogers/Fido , Bell and Telus also SOLO

Anyone heard bout HTC Touch Pro

http://htctouchpro.com/

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Everyone has unsubstantiated horror stories from cell phone companies.

The Instinct doesn't just use Sprint's email, it can sync between any email service, it doesn't have push though.

You don't need the $100 unlimited plan, you can use it with any plan you like but you will be using data service for certain features, and it still beats AT&T's $140 asking price.

Sprint not doing well is a weak argument against the fact that it offers cheaper service with options that AT&T doesn't have.

When comparing phones and taking advice, the OP should listen to facts.

I have, and from what I have read so far it's okay, much like their others. I think it still runs a version of Windows Mobile, which is buggy no matter how you look at it.

15. xA4Hx macrumors member

Well, I look at their stock, and read the phone websites about sprint going this way and that way.
    It just isnt as postive as it once was. I sell sprint and att at work. Sprint to me as been dropping the ball. They been talking about more then a year about launching Qchat and from last article I read is just now launching it. Maybe in several months it might get but the nextel just really didnt merge well.

Well that is what last Sprint Rep quoted me at work saying they need the unlimited 99 everything plan , because I dont sell it I am not aware of them taking a lesser plan. Sprint mobile email is just garbage dont be fooled, Last year I had centro, touch , rumor, m510, upstage and many more, I would have to sit here for a while to remember each of them. First time I used sprint mobile email was on the rumor.

Maybe I wasnt clear when I said Sprint mobile email, That is what they call this half baked Program that used for collecting email from other providers. Last time I used it , it just completely sucked. Last Review I saw on instinct it was quoted as that is the email application on the phone.

-illusion

16. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

Hmm ;) good fair enough,

bell and telus offer unlimited data for 40$ wen instinct is released here,

I live in canada, so i wont be using the sprint mobile emaiil

17. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

I had an Instinct phone for about five days and returned it....You must repeatedly touch the screen to get it to work which started to become annoying....The main reason we returned it was if you are surfing or watching tv/vidoes and you get a phone call it will automatically go to voice mail...You dont know you even received a call, no notification or option to take the call...As I am on-call at my job I CANNOT miss calls...It went back to Sprint...(My contract with Sprint expired about three months ago, so it was no problem)..I switched to Verizon and currently have a Dare phone..I am about 5 days into it and can cancel and return the phone within 30 days...I must admit it is a nice phone...I would rather have a MAC friendly phone and will probably get the Iphone after all the kids drink the Kool-Aid first !!!!!

Hope it helps....:apple:

18. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I have an iphone and a HTC tilt and I can tell you the iphone beats any smart phone as far as web browsing, media player. windows mobile it's too complicated and the iphone "just works they way is supposed to be"

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree that they aren't doing that well, but that's not reason for anyone not getting a cheaper plan.

You did clear up the email thing. The app is called Sprint Mobile Email, I do know that it isn't as good as the full mail app on the iPhone. It doesn't even read full HTML messages.

The problem for me is the Instincts or any other phones UI... they all just suck. But the problem I have with AT&T is their outrageous prices for unlimited services. The one for the iPhone doesn't even have unlimited text, and AT&T doesn't offer insurance at all.

As for the OP, if you can afford the iPhone do grab it. It's the best phone to use by far. Even when not looking at the vaporware of the app store it's hard to beat it's UI.

The others have those wonderful features and more extensive service plans going for them.

20. xA4Hx macrumors member

I wasnt going to go into the issues I have with windows mobile. Since I was declared as bias person already. Bet anyone who has it Get very friendly with task manager, or set settings to close apps when u hit x or any phone running windows mobile will get slower and slower. But I got to say I did like ppc 6700 but your right if your on any pda phone and ur using the data it will send calls straight to voicemail. I forgot what they did but some phones and evdo areas supported ability for call to ring in while on data connection. I forgot it has been a while what was required for call to ring threw, I think it was just evdo area and not the old vision regular slow area. 3g phone will support in 3g areas call and data at the same time. Remember I said 3g areas

-illusion

Ps. You replyed in the middle of writing my topic, Your right I love sprint insurance it covers every damn thing for 50 dollars. Unlike ATT it will cover everything but iphone but other pdas cost 125 to replace instead of 50. You have the oppinion hop on the service will it exists. If sprint didnt screw up with me I was going to sign up for 99.99 plan but It might not of lasted because I getting iphone sickness of missing it.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

With EVDO you do get calls when using data. The phone rings and it just switches to the "phone" application

Yes, Windows Mobile SUCKS. I have the HTC Touch and while I find it a lot easier to type on compared to the iPhone, the WM UI just kills anything that phone could have been. You are right about closing apps, if I have more than two apps open my phone won't even ring. The "phone" application will open minutes later and ring once then stop, and I will get a new "missed call" icon on my screen.

I don't know how you could have gotten an iPhone and sent it back. For me, I won't be considering a new phone until my Sprint contract is up. I won't spring for the Instinct either (after much deliberation) and stick with the HTC Touch. When that contract is up in about 16 or so months, I will see what Apple and AT&T has done with the iPhone.

22. xA4Hx macrumors member

I didnt send it back, I sold it. Lol it was used to pay for my termination fee and let me move back to sprint then , I sold the phone which you have the touch to pay one of 3 termination fees. I know what you mean with keyboard but you got to hate the keyboard when ur in a field like a webpage u got to tap each thing multiple times to type words. Since last time I used it , it wouldnt recommend words on websites and web fields I believe you have to just spell it out. When you get use to it figuring out ur words and as you type life seems good but another thing youd missing unless you installed the hacks out there assuming they improved since last time I used it was threaded txting.

-illusion

Ps. i am referring to the touch keyboard.
    Pss. You think windows sucks , so does Centro , call quality is horrible.
    If i was on sprint , Id recommend a blackberry curve.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Don't get me started on those retards at Palm. :rolleyes:

They remind me that even rich CEOs are very very stupid and ignorant to changes in the tech world. The Palm OS is the stalest phone OS on the market, circa 1999 with a very 1995 feel.

I do agree, that the Blackberry is the best combo of stable and up-to-date OS and features. Hopefully the competition does get it's act together and make good software for their already feature filled phones.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Seriously.

It's like if I went to NVNews and asked whether I should buy an ATI card or an Nvidia ... Gee, I wonder which one they'll recommend. :rolleyes: