Advice: Mac Pro 3,1 Starting to see OS incompatibilities

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
563
39
I knew this day would come eventually, but I was hoping Apple would come out with their updated Mac Pro so I had another option.

TurboTax informed me that I should upgrade to at least High Sierra. 2018 requires at least 10.12. Been considering a few options going forward:

1. use the macOS High Sierra patcher to update to High Sierra (and hopefully get a few more years of compatibility out of this Mac)
2. look for a used Mac Pro 5,1 (or 4,1)
3. consider a iMac or some other desktop Mac

I primarily use this computer for my photos and videos and my iOS device backups, music library (what? people still own music?) and things like TurboTax and document storage/archiving.
 

stampedeadam

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
23
6
How about you get a cheap Kepler gfx card and go straight to Mojave? I suggest a Quadro 410 or K600, both very cheap, need no power cables and work with Mojave. Or if you need the boot screen, maybe a 680? Lots of life left in a 3,1 as yet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OS6-OSX

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
563
39
How about you get a cheap Kepler gfx card and go straight to Mojave? I suggest a Quadro 410 or K600, both very cheap, need no power cables and work with Mojave. Or if you need the boot screen, maybe a 680? Lots of life left in a 3,1 as yet.
Oh, is the graphics card the main issue prevent upgrade to the other OSes? Do you still need to upgrade via patch or would it work via the App Store? I upgraded the stock graphics card to a ATI 4870 before, so I wonder if that will work.
 

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
4,583
1,687
Charlotte, NC
I knew this day would come eventually, but I was hoping Apple would come out with their updated Mac Pro so I had another option.

TurboTax informed me that I should upgrade to at least High Sierra. 2018 requires at least 10.12. Been considering a few options going forward:

1. use the macOS High Sierra patcher to update to High Sierra (and hopefully get a few more years of compatibility out of this Mac)
2. look for a used Mac Pro 5,1 (or 4,1)
3. consider a iMac or some other desktop Mac

I primarily use this computer for my photos and videos and my iOS device backups, music library (what? people still own music?) and things like TurboTax and document storage/archiving.
If you are just trying to mark-time until a new Mac Pro is out, then I wouldn’t even consider option 3.

Personally, option 2 is a very nice idea, but again... Not if you are going to get a 7,1 right away. If you want to use it a few years before replacing, then a 5,1 would be MY solution.

There are ways (as you already know) to prolong the life of your current machine. Nothing wrong with that at all.

So you do have some options. The decision is yours ;)
 
Last edited:

stampedeadam

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
23
6
You would need to upgrade via patch but it's not difficult. I don't think your current card would be up to the job but the ones I've mentioned would be and are available for £20 ($25-ish?) on ebay etc.