Advice needed for buying an unlocked iPhone 5s in Florida

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mathijs, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mathijs macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I'm from The Netherlands and I'll travel to Florida on January 9, 2014. I would like to ask if anyone has some advice in buying an unlocked iPhone 5s 32GB.

Of course I'm interested in the price of the phone (Apple charges 749 USD ex tax), but also where I should buy the iPhone. Since we're kind of travelling all around Florida, we have lots of options.

Thanks!

Mathijs
    The Netherlands

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Only advice I can give you is do NOT buy a Sprint model iPhone.

Full price for the Sprint model simply means contract free, not unlocked. Sprint does not unlock their iPhones for domestic use, only international use. And you have to be a customer for them to do that.

So, save yourself the trouble you'll bring by not getting any Sprint models.

3. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Buy it from an Apple Store. You may also want to bring your own SIM with you to make sure that you receive an unlocked phone. Don't wait till you get back home to find out.

4. 617aircav Suspended

This. My 5s bought at full price from ATT store came locked. I had to get it unlocked on ebay as ATT wanted me to wait 2-3 days.

5. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

6. gbrnole macrumors newbie

buy a verizon model iphone 5 or above. GSM is certain to be unlocked.

7. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Right now, every Apple store in Florida has the iPhone 5s SIM-free version (read: unlocked) available for online reservation with in store pickup. Just select whichever Apple store is convenient for you.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As others have said, just go to the Apple store and ask for the unlocked 5s in the color and capacity you want.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple Store + Pay for device only (full price) + AT&T model (any size)

= Unlocked device.

10. Idefix macrumors 6502

Just be aware that any US iPhone is not going to have the LTE bands necessary for Europe. The US iPhones don't have band 7, which is used extensively for LTE in Europe.

www.apple.com/iphone/lte

11. mathijs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! I will just go to an Apple store with my SIM and ask for an unlocked model. I'm sure they can help me!

Thanks!

Mathijs