Advice needed for buying an unlocked iPhone 5s in Florida

mathijs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Dear all,

I'm from The Netherlands and I'll travel to Florida on January 9, 2014. I would like to ask if anyone has some advice in buying an unlocked iPhone 5s 32GB.

Of course I'm interested in the price of the phone (Apple charges 749 USD ex tax), but also where I should buy the iPhone. Since we're kind of travelling all around Florida, we have lots of options.

Thanks!

Mathijs
The Netherlands

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Only advice I can give you is do NOT buy a Sprint model iPhone.

Full price for the Sprint model simply means contract free, not unlocked. Sprint does not unlock their iPhones for domestic use, only international use. And you have to be a customer for them to do that.

So, save yourself the trouble you'll bring by not getting any Sprint models.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
Buy it from an Apple Store. You may also want to bring your own SIM with you to make sure that you receive an unlocked phone. Don't wait till you get back home to find out.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Buy it from an Apple Store. You may also want to bring your own SIM with you to make sure that you receive an unlocked phone. Don't wait till you get back home to find out.
This. My 5s bought at full price from ATT store came locked. I had to get it unlocked on ebay as ATT wanted me to wait 2-3 days.

Sine Qua Non

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Right now, every Apple store in Florida has the iPhone 5s SIM-free version (read: unlocked) available for online reservation with in store pickup. Just select whichever Apple store is convenient for you.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As others have said, just go to the Apple store and ask for the unlocked 5s in the color and capacity you want.

mathijs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Thank you all! I will just go to an Apple store with my SIM and ask for an unlocked model. I'm sure they can help me!

Thanks!

Mathijs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.