Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I'm on the verge of buying a Santos De Cartier, and a Love Bracelet.

This would replace my Apple Watch.

Do you think it is a good idea? I'd be digging into my savings.

I absolutely love the combo mentioned above, but I also love my Apple Watch.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.
List the pros and cons of each and then compare and make a rational decision, or, post that pros/cons list for both here if you still think you need advice

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I thought you said in an earlier post that your Apple watch was a gift from your late nan that you want to hang on to for sentimental reasons? Also, they are kind of like apples and oranges; one is wrist-worn technology and the other jewelry. I'd keep the Apple watch as a keepsake from nan, and decide whether you want to also buy the Cartier watch and love bracelet if and when you have the savings and disposable income to do so comfortably.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I thought you said in an earlier post that your Apple watch was a gift from your late nan that you want to hang on to for sentimental reasons? Also, they are kind of like apples and oranges; one is wrist-worn technology and the other jewelry. I'd keep the Apple watch as a keepsake from nan, and decide whether you want to also buy the Cartier watch and love bracelet if and when you have the savings and disposable income to do so comfortably.
Thank you for your advice.

You are 100% correct: My Apple Watch holds a lot of sentimental value, and I’d never let it go.

I just love the Cartier De Santos, and Love Bracelet.

That’s again for your input.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
also, include financials in that comparison, eg you say you'd have to dig into your savings, and, I know that you spent quite a bit on AW bands recently, in other words, not just the pros and cons of each ...
Thank you, my friend.

Yes, I have 28 straps, and I just switched one over just now.

I have two mental health diagnoses, and one of the symptoms of EUPD is reckless spending.

I just don’t know what to do?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Thank you, my friend.

Yes, I have 28 straps, and I just switched one over just now.

I have two mental health diagnoses, and one of the symptoms of EUPD is reckless spending.

I just don’t know what to do?
that is why you should look at data, for one the pros/cons and then the financial implication.
I am not a medical professional so take my comments/advice as you see fit, but go thru the exercise of what I suggested and then look at what the data tells you.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
that is why you should look at data, for one the pros/cons and then the financial implication.
I am not a medical professional so take my comments/advice as you see fit, but go thru the exercise of what I suggested and then look at what the data tells you.
Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: jz0309

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'd say no. You have a watched and you're attached to it. Digging into savings for an additional watch doesn't seem wise to me.

However:

"In general, Cartier watches tend to hold their value, particularly the vintage or limited-edition models. Some Cartier watches, such as the Tank or Santos, have been in production for many decades and are considered classic timepieces with an enduring appeal."

So there is some limitation of financial risk there, as long as the watch is kept in pristine condition. But then if you're going to wear it regularly then it won't stay that way.

My gut feel is no, but you know your situation better than all of us.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I own a couple of mechanical watches - not the cheapest ones though - and I never compare them wich my AppleWatch(es). Depending on the model, an Apple Watch costs a couple of 100$ and it has a short lifetime, as you need to change the battery, the version becomes obsolete etc.

The Santos from Cartier is a mechanical watch with an iconic design, that you can keep "forever". It will not become outdated, because the processor is too slow. But keep in mind, that it needs some maintenance as well. To keep the mechanical movement properly running, it should be serviced every 5-10 years. That service is not a simple "change battery", but will take quite some time and money (around 500-1000$).

If you love mechanical watches and that design and can afford it - then go for it.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Sending a thank you to everyone who has provided solid advice.

I really am in two minds.

On the one hand (no pun intended) I have my SS Apple Watch, and 28 straps.

On the other hand, I am thinking of the De Santos on one had, and the Love Bracelet on the other. It would look so classy, and it's something I've wanted for a long time.

Thanks again to all 👍🏼,

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
On the other hand, I am thinking of the De Santos on one had, and the Love Bracelet on the other. It would look so classy, and it's something I've wanted for a long time.

I just ordered a Series 9 AppleWatch - Hermès btw.

Can I afford it - yes
Did I think about it longtime - yes
Do I need it - no
Did it "kill" my bank account - no
Is it, wat I wanted - yes

Sometimes, you have to make decisions and you are happy. Not every day. No "shop till you drop", but to treat yourself something.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I just ordered a Series 9 AppleWatch - Hermès btw.

Can I afford it - yes
Did I think about it longtime - yes
Do I need it - no
Did it "kill" my bank account - no
Is it, wat I wanted - yes

Sometimes, you have to make decisions and you are happy. Not every day. No "shop till you drop", but to treat yourself something.
Did you read this?

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.
What kind of self-centered, bs kind of question is that?
This is an Apple forum and not a personal life choice forum.
Buy yourself a watch or don’t. Jesus.

• Angry
Reactions: Saturn007

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It is a forum for people, who would like to get answers or advice from others. Just let them ask.

If you do not like broccoli, then do not complain about the existence of broccoli - ignore it and do not eat it. Broccoli does not mind being ignored. ;)

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
We all, well, most of us, anyway, get fixated on certain things — a new car, or a new motorcycle, or new stereo, telescope, suit or dress, jewelry, special tool, advanced mixer, or spiffy new iPhone or Mac, etc.

We imagine how great it would be to own, to cherish, to have fun with, or to admire. Sometimes, we even think it will bring us a joy that we've been missing.

We may long for it, even dream about it. Yet, often, when we finally get it, we discover its limits, that its magic isn't quite what we expected, and end up a tad disappointed.

The Beatles sang, “Money can't buy me love”.

Substitute whatever item one is coveting and recognize that could end up being the reality.

If one goes into the purchase, however, with their eyes open — and with an escape plan or Plan B — e.g., reselling it and being prepared to absorb the loss — that's good insurance against disappointment.

In the astronomy equipment realm, for example, buying *used* from reputable amateur astronomers gets one a like new, well-cared-for product, that can be resold without much loss of cash or none at all if it proves not to be what one anticipated. Sometimes, after some time, though, the “clunkers” may grow on you or become “classics” that can be resold for a gain!

I've sometimes found I get more pleasure out of exploring possible purchases than I do with actually buying or owning the item! OTOH, certain gems — first Mac, Palm, TiVo, upscale eyepiece, high quality telescope, iPhone, and, especially, first iPad (the original one) — were *magical* (which is how Stephen Fry described the first iPad when he got his). (Fry's passionate write-up is actually the reason we got ours!) All those were a joy to own, delve into, share, and relish — and worth every penny.

As I read your situation, if it were me, the biggest question I’d need to explore would be how much of dip into savings there would be and whether that would affect future purchases, daily living, etc. The other key question I'd consider would be whether I could buy a discounted like-new piece, so that resale wouldn't be much of a loss.

Buying a brand new car on a lark, e.g., would be a poor decision — unless one is cash rich and loaded — as cars depreciate hugely as soon as they are driven off the lot.

Fine classic jewelry, though, is different, from the little I’ve read.

In any case, those are some random thoughts from a random stranger who sympathizes with you, your circumstances, and your decision-making.

Good luck with it!

• Love
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
We all, well, most of us, anyway, get fixated on certain things — a new car, or a new motorcycle, or new stereo, telescope, suit or dress, jewelry, special tool, advanced mixer, or spiffy new iPhone or Mac, etc.

We imagine how great it would be to own, to cherish, to have fun with, or to admire. Sometimes, we even think it will bring us a joy that we've been missing.

We may long for it, even dream about it. Yet, often, when we finally get it, we discover its limits, that its magic isn't quite what we expected, and end up a tad disappointed.

The Beatles sang, “Money can't buy me love”.

Substitute whatever item one is coveting and recognize that could end up being the reality.

If one goes into the purchase, however, with their eyes open — and with an escape plan or Plan B — e.g., reselling it and being prepared to absorb the loss — that's good insurance against disappointment.

In the astronomy equipment realm, for example, buying *used* from reputable amateur astronomers gets one a like new, well-cared-for product, that can be resold without much loss of cash or none at all if it proves not to be what one anticipated. Sometimes, after some time, though, the “clunkers” may grow on you or become “classics” that can be resold for a gain!

I've sometimes found I get more pleasure out of exploring possible purchases than I do with actually buying or owning the item! OTOH, certain gems — first Mac, Palm, TiVo, upscale eyepiece, high quality telescope, iPhone, and, especially, first iPad (the original one) — were *magical* (which is how Stephen Fry described the first iPad when he got his). (Fry's passionate write-up is actually the reason we got ours!) All those were a joy to own, delve into, share, and relish — and worth every penny.

As I read your situation, if it were me, the biggest question I’d need to explore would be how much of dip into savings there would be and whether that would affect future purchases, daily living, etc. The other key question I'd consider would be whether I could buy a discounted like-new piece, so that resale wouldn't be much of a loss.

Buying a brand new car on a lark, e.g., would be a poor decision — unless one is cash rich and loaded — as cars depreciate hugely as soon as they are driven off the lot.

Fine classic jewelry, though, is different, from the little I’ve read.

In any case, those are some random thoughts from a random stranger who sympathizes with you, your circumstances, and your decision-making.

Good luck with it!
Wow, thank you so much for your valuable advice.

You have certainly given me something to think about.

Thanks again, and good luck back to you.

Best wishes.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
Sending a thank you to everyone who has provided solid advice.

I really am in two minds.

On the one hand (no pun intended) I have my SS Apple Watch, and 28 straps.

Thanks again to all 👍🏼,

You have 28 straps for one watch, wtf.

Do what pleases you, man. You're not hurting anyone but your bank account. You may have a disorder, but I guess a lot of us do, you're just among the diagnosed ones.
It comes down to whether it hurts you or someone else. I don't know how your spending disorder hurts anyone so long as you can handle the financial burden of it, so it's a financial issue really.

Perfectly valid question, on an Internet forum. What else do we do here other than read and write...

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I can certainly sympathize with obsession over certain material culture. When it comes to Watches, there's nothing that bridges our daily grind with the wonder of our immediate geophysical and astronomical environment....

Ehh, heh heh... like, watches are cool, m'kay? <brain mixes Butthead and Mr. Mackey 🤷‍♂️>

You admitted self awareness of a condition that might make spending a sort of trap, even if you can afford to dip into savings.

Personally, I find the Santos a tad plain; my very personal taste leans towards fiddly details and time-tracking complications.

So consider the details of WHY it's the Santos you zeroed in on? What specific outcomes do you desire? Will you know if you achieve them. How many outcomes could fail without ruining your experience? For example my details are...

• The Story? Which is a nice story, though you seem to have a wrong story in mind. Sorry, not sorry, to point that out Louis Cartier was not the first at anything other than claiming his pilot buddy Santos in mind when he built that first model as a gift.
  • The Aesthetics? Which is... there, I guess. Though it's not particularly unique in this regard. There are many square tank styles equally well designed.
  • The Style? Fits how you like to dress? Tux? Jeans? Boss? Levis? Blazer? Fishing Vest? (ha, no. Just no.)
  • The Brand? Hard to fault that; Cartier might not have been the first watch, but as artistry goes, they've made their bones. Their more recent designs are cooler than the Santos, though.
  • The Expression of Attitude? Do you routinely mix with other folks who you'd like to impress by the Santos as a personal choice, and who are likely to be impressed?
  • The Star Power? Are you keen to personally identify with Jake Gyllenhaal, Vanessa Kirby, or that dude from BTS who can only spell "V"?
How many more factors can you identify to pick apart your crush? Write them here if you like, just for the thought exercise, if nothing else. All the factors, and your intent for each. Be specific and don't accept "I just feel like it!"; demand answers of yourself. Put a weight on each factor. How many are you certain of? How many could fail without causing you buyer's remorse?

Pay no mind to Deine Mudda in this case... Far as I'm concerned, your post is on topic, inoffensive, and not blamey - just asking for insight. And I'm egotistical enough to have insight to spare on all topics in the multiverse.

• Love
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I can certainly sympathize with obsession over certain material culture. When it comes to Watches, there's nothing that bridges our daily grind with the wonder of our immediate geophysical and astronomical environment....

Ehh, heh heh... like, watches are cool, m'kay? <brain mixes Butthead and Mr. Mackey 🤷‍♂️>

You admitted self awareness of a condition that might make spending a sort of trap, even if you can afford to dip into savings.

Personally, I find the Santos a tad plain; my very personal taste leans towards fiddly details and time-tracking complications.

So consider the details of WHY it's the Santos you zeroed in on? What specific outcomes do you desire? Will you know if you achieve them. How many outcomes could fail without ruining your experience? For example my details are...

• The Story? Which is a nice story, though you seem to have a wrong story in mind. Sorry, not sorry, to point that out Louis Cartier was not the first at anything other than claiming his pilot buddy Santos in mind when he built that first model as a gift.
  • The Aesthetics? Which is... there, I guess. Though it's not particularly unique in this regard. There are many square tank styles equally well designed.
  • The Style? Fits how you like to dress? Tux? Jeans? Boss? Levis? Blazer? Fishing Vest? (ha, no. Just no.)
  • The Brand? Hard to fault that; Cartier might not have been the first watch, but as artistry goes, they've made their bones. Their more recent designs are cooler than the Santos, though.
  • The Expression of Attitude? Do you routinely mix with other folks who you'd like to impress by the Santos as a personal choice, and who are likely to be impressed?
  • The Star Power? Are you keen to personally identify with Jake Gyllenhaal, Vanessa Kirby, or that dude from BTS who can only spell "V"?
How many more factors can you identify to pick apart your crush? Write them here if you like, just for the thought exercise, if nothing else. All the factors, and your intent for each. Be specific and don't accept "I just feel like it!"; demand answers of yourself. Put a weight on each factor. How many are you certain of? How many could fail without causing you buyer's remorse?

Pay no mind to Deine Mudda in this case... Far as I'm concerned, your post is on topic, inoffensive, and not blamey - just asking for insight. And I'm egotistical enough to have insight to spare on all topics in the multiverse.
Thanks for the detailed response, and advice.

Quite simply, I have always loved the watch. I had a love ring, with alternate diamonds and screws, which was bought by an ex-girlfriend, but I sold it as I didn't want to be reminded of her.

I like the screw design; it mixes luxury with a ubiquitous element, which makes it able to be dressed up, or down.

I'll be wearing them with Armani jeans, Ralph Lauren polos, Stone Island coats, Lyle & Scott tracksuits, all designer stuff.

I do love my Apple Watch, so I am in quite a dilemma.

Reactions: BillGates1969
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.