Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I don't sense a dilemma. Keep both. Wear both. I've double-wristed a tool... Errr, I mean I'd work tools with both wris... Errr, I wear a tool-watch and an AW on each wrist at the same time... But I'd give an "Art Piece", such as a Santos, the whole stage. We like what we like, and that's okay. However much you like the AW, it will not last, sorry to say. Wear it while you can. The Cartier could well last forever, so you'll have plenty of opportunity there, too.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
FWIW here is my 2p worth.

I have always been a gadget lover. I am 100% geek.

Prior to April 2015, my 'pride & joy' for the last 6 years was my Rolex on my left wrist. It had replaced my Cartier Santos that I received for my 30th (the Rolex was a 40th present). I kept both, but wore the Rolex 99% of the time.

April 2015 and the Apple Watch came out and I got a SS with a Milanese. I wore them 70%/30% in Rolex favour. Then 70/30 in Apple Watch favour, then 99.999% AW.

Fast forward 9 years and I still have my Rolex and still have my Cartier, but never wear them. I have reevaluated why did I want them and why did I wear them. Mostly it was the joy I got from looking at them, but maybe there was a bit of look at me.

Now, approaching my mid fifties, I realise that I wear something on my wrist for me, not for anyone else. An AW can look classy with the right strap and clothing - as much as the Rolex or Cartier ever did. To me now, the Rolex or Cartier looked good, but didn't give ME as much joy as the AW. And not nearly as useful. Yes, they are a bit of jewellery and will last a lot lot longer than my AW, but given the right strap the AW can be a bit of jewellery as well. Maybe getting older I feel more content in my skin, but I still like the mechanicals, just not enough to replace my AW.

We are all different and have different drivers for things, but I know I would struggle to give up wearing an AW now.

That said, the Cartier won't lose its value, so if you can afford it, get it. If you never wear it, you can always sell it for a good price.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018

Prior to April 2015, my 'pride & joy' for the last 6 years was my Rolex on my left wrist. It had replaced my Cartier Santos that I received for my 30th (the Rolex was a 40th present). I kept both, but wore the Rolex 99% of the time.

April 2015 and the Apple Watch came out and I got a SS with a Milanese. I wore them 70%/30% in Rolex favour. Then 70/30 in Apple Watch favour, then 99.999% AW.

Fast forward 9 years and I still have my Rolex and still have my Cartier, but never wear them. I have reevaluated why did I want them and why did I wear them. Mostly it was the joy I got from looking at them, but maybe there was a bit of look at me.

Now, approaching my mid fifties, I realise that I wear something on my wrist for me, not for anyone else. An AW can look classy with the right strap and clothing - as much as the Rolex or Cartier ever did. To me now, the Rolex or Cartier looked good, but didn't give ME as much joy as the AW. And not nearly as useful. Yes, they are a bit of jewellery and will last a lot lot longer than my AW, but given the right strap the AW can be a bit of jewellery as well. Maybe getting older I feel more content in my skin, but I still like the mechanicals, just not enough to replace my AW.

We are all different and have different drivers for things, but I know I would struggle to give up wearing an AW now.

That said, the Cartier won't lose its value, so if you can afford it, get it. If you never wear it, you can always sell it for a good price.
Thanks, Bill.

Similar to you, I’d get the Santos AND Love Bracelet for the aesthetics. Especially during summer time, when I’m wearing polos, they will stand out a mile and will look absolute class.

I have never liked Rollys. I have small wrists, and they look bulky.

I really am on the fence. I do love my Apple Watch, I have more that enough straps, but the Santos & Love Bracelet combo just look so classy, and timeless (no pun intended.)

Thanks again for your input.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I'm on the verge of buying a Santos De Cartier, and a Love Bracelet.

This would replace my Apple Watch.

Do you think it is a good idea? I'd be digging into my savings.

I absolutely love the combo mentioned above, but I also love my Apple Watch.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.
Flip a coin. If you are relieved/happy with the result, you know your answer. If you are disappointed, you know your answer.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Thank you, my friend.

Yes, I have 28 straps, and I just switched one over just now.

I have two mental health diagnoses, and one of the symptoms of EUPD is reckless spending.

I just don’t know what to do?
I have that too and I struggle big time with spending. I call it BPD though, and I was much more unstable in my teens and 20s. I'm 38 and have a much better grasp on my mental health although spending remains a huge struggle as always. I'm not a mechanical watch gal but I fully understand why, with your diagnosis, you're struggling with wanting a new shiny toy. I'm there often. I'm not a shoe person but tomorrow I will receive the Nike low dunks "peach cream" that my brain decided was necessary because they're just so pretty. This has led to buying matching nail polish, filling shopping carts with coordinating clothes I can't afford right now, and getting a matching AW band, albeit only for $4 on aliexpress.

No advice though, sorry. Just commiseration. I'd struggle with this too. It would be smart not to dip into savings, but I can't say I would take that advice myself if my brain decided I must have a thing. That's how I got my AW and iPad in the first place. Spending money at Apple (and in general) makes the brain chemicals do the good thing.

• Love
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Have you made expensive purchases like this before, and if so, how did you feel about it afterwards? That is, do you still feel good about the purchase months or years down the line, or do you tend to come to regret it?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Have you made expensive purchases like this before, and if so, how did you feel about it afterwards? That is, do you still feel good about the purchase months or years down the line, or do you tend to come to regret it?
Bit of both, really.

The two items (watch and bracelet) amount to almost 20 grand!

I have the savings, but even though I've given it plenty of thought, it would be impulse.

I do love my Apple Watch, but I've wanted these items for like ever.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have that too and I struggle big time with spending. I call it BPD though, and I was much more unstable in my teens and 20s. I'm 38 and have a much better grasp on my mental health although spending remains a huge struggle as always. I'm not a mechanical watch gal but I fully understand why, with your diagnosis, you're struggling with wanting a new shiny toy. I'm there often. I'm not a shoe person but tomorrow I will receive the Nike low dunks "peach cream" that my brain decided was necessary because they're just so pretty. This has led to buying matching nail polish, filling shopping carts with coordinating clothes I can't afford right now, and getting a matching AW band, albeit only for $4 on aliexpress.

No advice though, sorry. Just commiseration. I'd struggle with this too. It would be smart not to dip into savings, but I can't say I would take that advice myself if my brain decided I must have a thing. That's how I got my AW and iPad in the first place. Spending money at Apple (and in general) makes the brain chemicals do the good thing.
I know exactly how you operate.

I have OCD, also, which when combined is quite lethal!

I hope you're enjoying your new stuff?

I'm here if you need me 👍🏼.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018

I actually had the Love Ring that an ex girlfriend bought me.

White gold, diamond/screw alternate.

I ended up selling that, because we finished, and I didn't want to be reminded of her.

I could have got more for it, but I let it go for about 5 grand, and this was YEARS ago.

It would be worth much more, now.

Pleased you're enjoying your Apple Watch, bud.

• Love

justkurious

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
The video hyperlinked below was served to me today by The Algorithm…
I thought that it may be of interest to you…
if not, please disregard it…

For what it may be worth, I use the Clockology app as a tool to indulge from time to time in an appreciation of horological wonders…

Good luck! 😊

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I’m gonna give you the worst advice of them all - but the Santos and keep your Apple Watch. It’s telling to sell the AW for that quick cash but they’re both very different devices and does different things in a same form factor. Keep both, on days you don’t wear your Santos you can admire it while wearing your AW. It’s not the smartest decision financially but hey if you enjoy it, go for it.

snapplecrisp

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
You have 28 straps for one watch, wtf.

Oh man. Just… watch out if you visit the Apple Watch Accessories forum. Your “wtf” will expand exponentially. 🤣

Sincerely,
the person with 75 bands and counting

(…and whose collection is in the low- to mid-range size compared to fellow collectors.🤷🏻‍♀️)

snapplecrisp

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
…..But in all seriousness, the great thing about having different watch bands is that you can almost create different watches. Personally, I wear different bands to accent or match my outfits - depending on my mood, the colors, the textures of the band (fluoroelastomer/silicone vs. woven nylon vs. braided vs. metal). As others have said, fancier bands elevate the AW.

To bring it back to the original question, that’s why I personally don’t feel compelled to buy another watch (unless it was a different model of AW, lol). Its functionality is excellent and it’s aesthetically versatile. Checks all the boxes. 😁

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.