Advice: New Macbook or new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ashley8706, May 25, 2009.

1. ashley8706 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook that I purchased in Aug. of 2006 for $1000. Today, I got the blue screen of death. My hard drive failed and I have that clicking noise that no one wants to hear. I got it estimated and for the same GB, it would cost about $300-400. I don't have apple care, unfortunately.

My CD drive is also acting up but again, since I stupidly never purchased applecare, I haven't gotten it fixed.

I am trying to decide if I should purchase a new laptop, get applecare and move on or should I fix the hard drive on this model. Since it's almost 3 years old, I'm wondering if the money put into it would be worth it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd replace the hard drive yourself for under US$100.

3. ashley8706 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it relatively simple? I'm not all that great with stuff like this but I could probably follow directions...

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

if you are looking for an excuse to justify buying a new machine, you could do that. if you are satisfied with the current machine, just replace the new hard drive for less than $100 yourself.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Torx driver might be the hardest thing to come by for most users.

A Torx driver, Phillips #0, and a basic understanding of spatial orientation are all the necessary things.

6. ashley8706 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would much rather not buy a new machine. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to replace on my own.

Any recommendations on where to purchase?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Take the battery out. Unscrew a plate. Pull the hd out by the tab. Unscrew the carrier. Pop the new one in the carrier. Rescrew. Slide it in the slot. Put the plate back on. Put the battery back in and your done.

8. ashley8706 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay..sounds simple enough.

I'm going to give it a go on my own. Any recommendations on affordable/good hard drives?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As big as you need and as fast as you can find. WD or Seagate drives seem to be the most popular.

10. ashley8706 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

I apologize. I'm basically computer illiterate so most of this is a foreign language to me.

11. eksplosions macrumors newbie

12. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

He/she needs a 2.5" SATA laptop drive. Size is totally up to them - speed, too, but keep in mind that a 7200 RPM drive, though faster, may use more battery and cause the casing to vibrate a bit (mine did both). For a plastic Macbook, I'd recommend a 5400 RPM drive - cheaper, save battery, and its the same as what came in it anyway. And though I LOVE Newegg, check eBay too - you may come across a deal (I recently bought a 160GB for $34 - YMMV...).

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...for less than $100 doing it yourself, if you get at least another year out of the macbook it would be worth the $$ - good luck with the fix...

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

15. ashley8706 thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchased an 250 GB Western Digital. It's in. When I tried to start it, I get the same message. Do I start it with the Mac Disk 1 already in it?

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

OWC has videos online that show you how to do it. I did it myself
    and it was easy. Got torx and 0, 00, 000 size phillips at Sears.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Insert Mac Disk 1 and press c when you start and it should boot up from the dvd drive.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A 320 GB hard drive is really cheap (probably a lot less than $100), and if you can operate a screw driver it should take you less than fifteen minutes to replace that hard drive, assuming that you do it for the very first time, and you do every single step very very slowly and carefully. If you are afraid of doing it yourself, ask a bit around amongst your friends.

Here is what you have to do: Use a coin to open the battery case and remove the battery. Unscrew three screws in the battery bay and remove the cover for the hard drive and memory. Find a white plastic ribbon and use it pull the hard drive out; take note which side was up. The hard drive is in a little metal holder with four screws. Unscrew the four screws. Replace hard drive with new one, screw the four screws back in. Push the whole thing into the MacBook where the old hard drive came from. Put the cover for hard drive and battery back. Put three screws on. Put the battery in. Use a coin to lock the battery back into place.

19. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    wow, over on the Upgrade MBP2.2 hard drive thread, I was on the same boat as the OP/posters in the thread in wanting to upgrade the hard drive in my own 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro (purchased Fall 2007) to the 320gb WD3200BEVT (from my now not working external hard drive - WD3200XMS-00). I had a lot of questions though and it seems they're all answered here.

I wanted a link to a tutorial & to know about the tools:

And what steps I needed to do to prepare the hard drive for being swapped?

20. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I asked my wife to grab these for me, but she got a Kronus Precision Slotted Screwdriver set - 3.5mm, 3.0mm, 2.4mm, 1.6mm, 1.4mm.

Is this what i need or do I have to go and get something? Where's the better place to go to buy?

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Go to OWC, buy the H.D.D., ,view the video on how to do it:rolleyes:, and in under an hour you'll have a fast MB, (buy a 320GB 7200 RPM Hitachi).
    FAST,SIMPLE, and you did it yourself