Advice: New York in June

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nomad01, Apr 2, 2008.

1. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm going to be in NYC late June/early July and was just looking for some tips for the city.

I've been to NY plenty of times before but never during the hotter months and specifically June/July.

Does anyone have any advice on what's worth doing/checking out at this time of year? I'm presuming it'll be very hot so maybe some outdoor concerts or something? Just want to make the most of the climate.

Also I vaguely remember reading in New York magazine a year or two ago that there are open air cinema screenings somewhere in the city... possibly Roosevelt Island? I suspect that this was later in the season (August maybe?!).

Any New Yorkers have any suggestions? :)

2. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm there for 10 nights.

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

6. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

No, they don't. :eek:

;)

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You could go to Shakespeare in the Park. It's free. It's outside. Of course, for a Brit that might not be especially interesting:

8. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Ahh, okay. I'd been looking for this but not been able to track down dates. Thanks. Wi'll add that to my list.

Any other suggestions? :)

9. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

there are nice bars around Apple store SoHo. My fav is at Mercer st. close to Prince st. I would definitively visit MoMa (Guggenheim and Fricks are nice too) Stay away from time square. Too many people and not much to see.
    If you want to do the touristy things, go for a city pass and save some money. If you pay in cash you can avoid paying sales tax at smaller places.
    Get a good guide book, I like Eyewitness travel guides.
    Have fun!

10. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Thanks very much for that. However, I am looking for more season specific things... stuff that'd be nice to do in the summer.

I've been to NY many times in previous years but never at this time of year. Was thinking of visiting City Island for example and possibly Coney Island as it's been shut up in previous visits.

Really though I'm looking for advice regarding summer specific events/passtimes.

Anyone?? :-s

11. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Google is your friend.

http://www.summerstage.org/

http://www.roosevelt-island.ny.us/upcomingevents.htm

Coney Island was supposed to close this summer for renovations, but I think it's been delayed.

It's a little early. Schedules aren't out yet for many of the summer events.

Last summer, we had a floating pool docked by a make shift beach near the Brooklyn bridge on the Brooklyn side. Good times. Though, I think it was in August.

12. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

That's great, thanks. I really have searched Google several times. Guess my keywords were no use though! sigh

Well thanks for those. Gives me something to look at. Looks like I'll miss the Roosevelt Island shows though.

Steve

13. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

They have movies near the Brooklyn Bridge as well:

http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/index.cfm?objectid=EF670B44-3048-2C77-F20C2202337458ED

Closer to the time check out:
    http://www.villagevoice.com/

and Time Out for events.

Also, if you're into nightlife, my friends do a Friday night outdoor party:

Friday, May 16th: Turntables on the Hudson OPENING NIGHT!

Turntables on the Hudson is BACK at the Water Taxi Beach EVERY FRIDAY beginning May 16th. Opening night is going to be super special with DJ's Nickodemus & Mariano + Nappy G & Christian Rogers on percussion. Special guest DJ QUANTIC (Tru Thoughts Records)!! Rain or moonshine- the party will be on / 9PM - 1AM / $10 to enter / 21 & over. Address: #2 Borden Avenue in LIC QUEENS- Right on the EAST River ;) Check Water Taxi Beach for full directions by Water Taxi, car, subway...

14. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Sounds good. Will have to check it out when I get to NY.

Again, thanks for the info! :)

15. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Coney Island isn't that great, I would put it towards the bottom of your list as an "if I have time" item.

EDITED

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Gotta disagree with this. I'd suggest visiting Coney Island before before its completely gone. Explore the neighborhood. I'm sure you'll be able to find something interesting. Try avoiding Coney Island weekend or a really hot day.

17. Z.Beeblebrox macrumors regular

Z.Beeblebrox

You must be joking. Coney is great! Go for a ride on the Cyclone coaster, grab a hotdog or slice of true Brooklyn style pizza, play some rigged boardwalk games, and if nothing else, check out the Coney Island Circus Sideshow. This amazing little slice of history is about to be steamrolled over by the condo gods and starbuck goddesses. Once it's gone, there will never be anything remotely like it ever again. If you're in town on June 21st, check out the Mermaid Parade and Ball. If not, Coney shows cult classic movies at the museum every Saturday night.

Also, check out a broadway show (Young Frankenstein and Spamalot are excellent).
    Maybe head to the Bronx Zoo (all the animals are out).
    Take in one of the many film festivals like the Bryant Park Summer Film Screenings.
    There is also Restaurant Week, where great restaurants throughout the city offer a three course meal for a fixed price.
    There is the Museum Mile Festival, nine museums offering free admission, activities, musical entertainment, and artist demonstrations all along Fifth Avenue.
    And the Metropolitan Opera does performances at various parks in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

18. celeste808 macrumors newbie

Time Out

I agree with beatzfreak; check out Village Voice and Time Out for events.

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

June not so bad as far as the heat. July and August are the hottest. As far as seasonal stuff, street fairs jump into full swing. But if you go to one youv'e been to them all seeing as the same one travels around the city. Just walking around is always nice. Take a different route then you usually do and your sure to discover something new.
    A lot of the street level restaurants/cafe's have some outdoor seating and its nice to people watch. People tend to just hang out outside in the nice weather.

Go out to the beach. Long beach less then an hour away is pleasant and clean. It will cost you $10 beach access for the day but thats like a nickel in exchange rate ;)

20. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks to everyone. Some great suggestions.

Always welcome more too. :)

21. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

22. grouper macrumors regular

23. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Why? It rains a lot in June/July?

24. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It doesn't rain that much.

If you don't mind baseball, check out Yankee Stadium. It's the last season there before it gets torn down. It's a simple subway ride away, nothing complicated.

If you really wanna be touristy, check out the Statue of Liberty and The Empire State Building.

We got plenty of food in the city, so you can easily find something to suit your tastebuds.

If you're 21 there are plenty of bars to check out. A personal fav of mine is Porky's.

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

check out the ferry to staten island. its a great view of the statue of liberty, cheap, and a cool getaway from the hot nyc streets...

you can literally fry an egg on a nyc street in the summer