Advice on a Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by millertime021, Apr 15, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I ordered a 15" MBP yesterday, and it is currently being shipped.

I was wondering what cases you guys use.

I have a few friends that use the See-Thru Speck cases and they love them. I was thinking about going that route, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone here had a better option.

Also, the cases for the last generation MBP will fit the new ix ones correct? They have the same dimensions I believe, yes?

Thanks!

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Yes, they'll fit, personally, I like 'em with no case at all :D

3. dave-gallagher macrumors newbie

I just ordered a Moshi Codex 17 Shell Case for a new 17" MBP. They have 13", 15", and 17" cases available in a variety of colors. They say they fit both new unibody MBP's, and older "silver keyboard" MBP's. These guys had the best prices I could find:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=moshi+codex&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Haven't gotten mine yet, so I can't write a review. But, the few reviews online have nothing but good things to say about their cases:

http://reviews.techcastnetwork.co.uk/2007/11/23/moshi-codex-by-aevoe/

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/review/h...cbook-and-macbook-pro-laptop-cases-269965.php

[​IMG]

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

^Ewww....that completely ruins the look of the laptop...

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

It's a tank lol

6. mike8717189 macrumors member

7. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Incase is the only brand of cases I use and recommend check them out here goincase.com

8. Xyp macrumors newbie

Cases -

I've been looking at the InCase as well as the Speck- I've gotta say that I like them both, but I'm also wondering about a couple of comments in reviews that I've read saying that the weight of the shell can play havoc with the Display hinge. Is this more of a problem with the old hinges rather than the cases?

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Also, with either of these on the MBP, will it still fit into a Neoprene sleeve?

Thanks!

9. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Wow, that first case is pretty intense. It seems like it would help a lot if dropped, that's for sure.

I'm looking for a hard, low-profile case, like incase or speck. I've heard they are both good, and you can't really go wrong.

10. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

Wow I have never seen anything as ugly as that Moshi case... Jonny Ives might come to your house and beat you for using that thing.

11. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Hey now, it may not look great, but I'm sure it's crazy effective in doing what it needs to do. And it looks like the comp just sits in there. Seems like it could just me a case to use when its in a bag, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't buy it, but to each their own. :cool:

12. jillianmd macrumors newbie

Speck See-Thru vs. Speck See-Thru Satin vs. Incase Hardshell

I'm ordering a new MBP 13" and I want to get a hard-case for it, but the Apple site isn't great at side by side comparisons of these products, so hopefully you can help me out.

Which do you prefer and why? And which would you recommend for me and why?

Here's what my preferences are (in order of priority, the first being top priority and so on) so you can answer that second question:

-I want the best durability from scratches and general wear&tear.
    -I want the best ventilation through the hard-case possible to provide a comfortable, not-too-warm laptop user experience.
    -I want the hard-case to have a nice grip feel to it, not slick/glossy.

Thanks.

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

either the speck satin or the incase.

i think the speck satin is pretty nice,
    the thing about incase is even though it's great quality and feels nice,
    it doesn't come up to cover the entire laptop like the speck does.
    I have an incase on mine, had a speck before. Personally I would recommend the speck before the incase for top protection.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can go wrong IMO.

After owning numerous Incase Hard Shells and two Speck products (including the Speck SeeThru Satin Soft-Touch) - Go Incase.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I have some Speck Clear SeeThru's, if you want a clear hardshell go with Speck if you want a matte hardshell go with Incase..

16. BobaFettucini macrumors newbie

My girlfriend had an incase matte case on her mbp for a while, and the rubber on the feet all came loose and the edges are now turned the opposite way, making it look like there are little suction cups on the bottom of her case.

I just got a SeeThru satin for my 15, but I'm going to buy a clear seethru next week for the simple fact that its really hard to get it in and out of my messenger bag with the satin, as I really wasn't expecting to have a 15" when I bought the bag. I was considering getting bodyguardz, as I use their screen only version for my iPhone along with a case, but I figured the larger surface area to apply the film will give me more room to screw up. Plus I wanted a bit of impact protection.

My girlfriends current setup though is a black SeeThru Satin with an incase Nylon Sleeve and there's no problem getting the mbp in and out of the bag.

Overall I would suggest the Speck though. I do however wanna try out an incipio feather.

17. hajime macrumors 68030

When I was looking for a hard case for my SR MBP 17" two years ago, I heard from a very reliable source that it was easy for dirt to enter the case and scratched the laptop. How about the SeeThru Satin and Incase's Hardshell case?

18. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

i got a new 15inch yesterday. i went overkill! bought an incase hardshell by accident (wanted the spec one but got confused on the apple site :p) and a neoprene sleeve just for when transporting as you never know with moisture and water getting into bags. the incase is awesome, although it does kind of obstruct the new magsafe - it fits and charges but is sticking out a bit. still an awesome case and not much weight added! good luck

19. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Thanks for all the advice!

I have a neoprene case I just bought.

I think that should be good for my backpack for school.

I'll see how this goes then I'll see if I need a hard case.

20. FMD:. macrumors member

About Neoprene sleeves...

Don't forget that most neoprene sleeves are not for dropping your laptop. If you drop/throw your bag down with your laptop with a neoprene sleeve, you may possibly still damage/dent the aluminum due to the fact the neoprene cases are not heavy duty. They are to stop your laptop from smacking up against your books/not get scratched by zippers and loose items.

I had a Marware Sportifolio sleeve and it actually had a rubber bumper around the edges of the case to prevent damage to the edges. They have it horizontal or vertical.

Also i was looking at the Memory foam/polyurethane (rasfox Cappuccino) as well as Booq Taipan and Vyper, and the Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus (supposedly more padding?). Still have not settled yet...May go back to Marware neoprene and orca skin vertical Sleeve this time since I have it in a backpack and no longer a messenger bag.

21. zossem macrumors newbie

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The case didn't change from the prior generation.

23. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I've gone through 2 clear speck cases. Hate them. Here's why:

The weight of the shell for the display WILL affect the hinge. At least it did for me, other people may have been lucky. I ended up taking the bottom off my computer to locate the hinges, and there are simply 3 screws on either side. They're tiny torx, but I think I used a 1.5mm flathead. Tightened them all up, BAM! Loose display that's plagued me for so long DONE.

The worst part of the case is the bottom tray. It's attached with 4 little tabs at each corner, and they've all broken off within a month or two. Now with my first case, I figured I wasn't taking very good care of it or whatever, so when I bought my new one, I was very careful in putting the computer in it, and with the daily use as well as removing it about once every 2 weeks to clean all the crap that accumulates between the computer and the case. Still, the tabs broke. My fiancée has a 13" uMB pink speck case on hers and it's been flawless for almost a year (totally jealous). I'm a case-whore, I like things wrapped up and shielded from my most cruel of uses. Sadly, haven't found Speck to stand up. Right now my computer is naked (sans the trackpad/palmrest and Moshi anti-glare screen protector). I'm looking at the matte black ones... It would match my iPhone.

One other thing, that crap that accumulates between the computer and case will actually take little knicks out of the aluminum. Hate that I hated it, cause I really wanted to love the Speck Clear Case for my 15" uMBP. Sadly, I spent $100 on 2 cases that both sucked.

All just my experience, and if someone has a case for the 15" they're raving about I'm certainly all ears...

24. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

25. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

Hey!

I have ordered the Be.ez polyutherine memory foam sleeve. Not sure hot good it will be as I am still waiting for it to arrive.

I will post when I receive it :)