Advice on Barely Alive Liquid Damaged MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ynmtgtst, Mar 30, 2017.

  1. ynmtgtst macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2017
    #1
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

    I really need some advice as to what to do with my Mac.

    I spilled cereal on it, and tried to clean it off as much as I could.

    It's been about two weeks now since that happened, and 3 days after the damage, I started testing it out again to see if it was still okay.

    The first time I tried to turn it on, it would turn on, and I'd get the black screen with the Apple logo and a loading bar, and it was in a constant loop.

    Today is about two weeks since the damage. I turned it on today, and it did go all the way. I'm typing on it now.

    What I'm noticing is:
    • It needs to stay plugged in to stay on, and the light on the cable needs to be on.
    • The battery level is stuck on 85%
    • There is the constant noise of air coming out of the Mac
    • It's lagging a bit
    I know I'm doing some wishful thinking right now, but could it be that it's just the battery that's not working anymore? And maybe my Mac isn't completely messed up?

    This is my battery information:
    Charge Information:

    Charge Remaining (mAh): 5162
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6409
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 143
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -6
    Voltage (mV): 8153

    I haven't gone to the Apple store yet because I was waiting to see if it would still turn on after some time.
    I'm hoping it could be just a battery issue and not anything else.

    But any advice would be helpful!
     
  2. LT_Smash macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2016
    #2
    > Condition: Replace Now

    The battery is water damaged and will need to be replaced, however it's probably not causing the fans to run at full speed or the lag. There's likely corrosion on the board; you can remove it with 100% rubbing alcohol (don't use anything other than 100% (that includes 99% which I know... I get it... 99% was easier to find and you used it... [I've heard that many times] but the water content will just make your problems worse).

    However you need to weigh your personal repair skills, if you're not comfortable stripping the laptop completely down then you might be better off replacing the battery and living with it until either A) the problem goes away [not likely] or B) the computer eventually destroys itself [far more likely]. But it could run in the current state for the foreseeable future.
     

Share This Page