Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking to buy a used iPhone 6s. The prices are considerably cheaper for used ones that are almost new. Saving between £100-£200. However, I have a concern. A couple of years ago I bought an iPhone from this person. He got 2 in the post by accident from hi mobile network. Anyway, he decided not to tell them that he got 2, and sold the second one to me. The network soon realised and blocked my phone. So I lost money. I could only use the phone like an iPod now. I couldn't use a SIM card in it.

How can I avoid this happening again? I am told that if I register the phones serial number on my "Apple Support Profile" or under my Apple ID then that can't happen. So if the person removed the device from his Apple ID and I added it to mine, online, that should protect from the same situation happening again! Is this correct? Just in case some people are not sure what the Apple Support profile is, here is a link
https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth...URL=https://supportprofile.apple.com/homePage

I would welcome some advice on this. Before you say it, I know buying privately is a risk and that I should buy direct from Apple, but I just want to minimise my risk thats all. Thank you.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Registering your iPhone on the Apple Support Profile will not protect the phone from being blacklisted by the carrier or reported stolen by the seller. You cannot totally protect yourself, but can help by doing the exchange at the carrier where they can move it to your account and confirm that there is no previous contract, finance etc.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks. I phoned Apple just after posting this, and they said that if I register it in my name then it would be safe. However, the seller would need to register it from their name to mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.