Advice on Buying "The New iPad" vs. "iPad 2"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pilot1226, May 4, 2012.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Hiya,

I've been a pretty active player in the app called Viggle, which I won't get into on this thread, but long story short:

I have accumulated enough Best Buy gift cards from the app to offset almost the entire cost of "The New iPad" but I can also consider the iPad 2.

I'm trying to decide between the two. Obviously since money isn't an object because I have all these Best Buy gift cards from using the Viggle app, but I want to make a smarter option.

I know that the iPad 2 has superior battery life at the expense of performance.

A little background:

I have no Wifi at my work location, but I do have it at home. I have an iPhone 4S that I am hoping to jailbreak and tether at some point when one becomes available for 5.1. We do have internet at my work location, but the computers are all keylogged so I'm very restricted as to which sites I can and can't access.

I am not considering nor will I consider a data plan for the iPad. If I'm in that much of a pinch, I'll use my iPhone and just pinch and squish my way around the web.

I don't own a tablet, and this'll be my first purchase. I recently sold my old iBook from 2005 as I wasn't using it anymore, mostly because of the lack in performance, and with the tablet I plan on browsing, playing occasional games (Bejeweled Blitz would probably be the only one - I don't care about the big ones...), and using it basically as I would a laptop.

I have a pretty strong Desktop computer that uses Windows 7 which is my "home base" for everything. If I needed to do something intensive, like encoding or decoding, I'd use that.

Regardless of the model I choose, again, I will only be purchasing the Wifi model. I do not want the 3G/4G plans.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'd go ahead and get the new iPad. It's only a hundred more and it's quite the upgrade over the iPad 2. I would suggest getting at least a 32 GB so it's actually 200 more than the iPad 2. Apps are now getting retina'd so their sizes are getting larger and larger. The one thing I always tell people looking at a 16 is storage can't ever be added if you ever realize you need more. It's better to have extra than not enough.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Not true at all. I get the same battery life between my iPad 2 and my new 3rd Gen iPad.

If you're not considering the data plan, then what's left? Retina display, back camera improvements, and resale value.

If you don't care about the improved graphics, which ties into the retina display and the camera, then I'd suggest just going for an iPad 2.

Something else to consider: developers will be tailoring their products for the new iPad as time goes on.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

For $100

I wouldn't recommend the iPad 2 over the new iPad.

You get better camera/video
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Retina Display

The value of the new iPad just makes it a better investment.

5. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Depends what you want to do on it I guess. I mostly use it to read comics, so improved resolution looks good to me (HD comics recently introduced by Comixology look amazing). So I'd say, if you intend to read a lot on it, go for the new one, otherwise the 2 would fit.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

iPad 2 and the new iPad are both great devices.

If you get the iPad 2, try to never look at the screen of a new iPad, because you will start to hate the 2.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Battery life is the SAME because Apple squeezed a much larger battery in iPad 3.

iPad 3 actually has better bettery life when used as wifi hotspot, when the screen turned off.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Either is a fine choice. You would probably get more long term value for your gift cards with the iPad 3, however.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1366886

Look at the second chart. I'm not saying that is a conclusive result, and it's only for Infinity Blade 2, but it is something to consider before automatically assuming Apple's marketing is 100%

10. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

If you want to look at and touch the most amazing display on any mobile device...then the choice is no-brainer. iPad3.

If you want a comparably very blurry SD screen and litterally all you care about is battery life and not the display you LOOK at...then go with iPad2.

If you do go iPad2.... Make sure to get the new version 32nm iPad 2,4. Anandtech reports it gets up to 15 hours on a single charge.

11. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I toiled with this for quite some time. I went with the iPad 2 (before the battery rumor circulated) for these reasons:

The ipad already feels heavy and clunky to hold for extended periods, so I got the 2 because it is:
    -Lighter
    -Thinner

Overheating issue - almost every "new" ipad i picked up at the Apple Store felt warm in the bottom right corner. This is probably not an issue except during those hot summer months... Just like my Macbook pro annoys me when it's hot in my apartment and then I have a warm laptop on my lap.

Battery charge time - The new ipad will take 2x as long to fully charge the battery then the old one - that beefy display eats up a lot more battery, so they packed more battery in so you get the same battery life, but now it will take you longer to charge it!

Now, with that said, these are some of the reasons I would buy the "new ipad":

-If you're a serious gamer on your ipad, they will be coming out with a lot of retina-quality games that use that quad core graphics

-If you read a lot of books on your ipad, it's a no brainer, the new ipad's text display is so much sharper and probably easier on the eyes

Now what about graphics and video you ask?

-Video - I couldn't tell the difference watching a 1080p video on Youtube on the old ipad vs new. You'll probably never see any higher video quality online.

-Picutres - Very few sites have photos higher then the ipad 2's 1024x768 resolution. In fact, most sites have much smaller graphics and compress them to speed page load times and reduce bandwidth costs. I doubt you'll see too many sites "updated" for the "new" ipad. The only reason I feel you would want the retina display for photos is if you have a DSLR camera and you're going to be looking at high res shots. The 5MP camera built into the new ipad, and the 5MP one built into your iphone 4 DO NOT support the new retina display so the photos are not going to be sharper.

So, there ya have it... my 2 cents, and yes, I did borrow a co-workers new ipad for a day and compared it side by side with my ipad2 on hundreds of sites to come to these conclusions.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd like to get a 32nm iPad2, I prefer longer battery life to a retina display.

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I stopped reading right there since I agreed so much. I have a severe deficiency that only allows me to hold 1.33 pounds comfortably. That extra 0.11 pounds was horrible when I played around in the Apple Store.

My deficiency also only allows me to open my hands about 9mm, so the extra 0.6mm would have been absurd for me to purchase a device that's brand new compared to one that has been out for ~13 months already.

New iPad Wi-Fi Specs
    Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
    Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
    Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
    Weight: 1.44 pounds (652 g)

iPad 2 Wi-Fi Specs
    Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
    Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
    Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm)
    Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g)

I'm also lying, people who say the weight/thickness differences are noticable are, with all due respect, loco.

14. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

If you want to use it 'basically as a laptop' then the iPad is not for you. iOS is very different from a laptop and I suggest you do some solid research before making a purchase. It's not to say it can't replace a laptop but you need to consider what you will use it for and if the iPad will meet those needs.

15. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Look, just buy the new iPad. End of discussion.

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I'm a super heavy user (note my sig) but I would say get the 2, especially if that $100 at the margin has another use that interests you. I did a post about why I upgraded from a 2 to a new if you're interested, but my take is that the 2 is fine for most folks.

17. ByronicLion macrumors newbie

Unless money is an issue I'd go with the new one. I bought the iPad 2 and thought I'd save some money by getting a 16 gb one. Well, after a week I had filled it up and realized I enjoyed reading and watching videos on it alot more than I thought. I took it back and got the new iPad with 32 gb. There's a good chance you'll wish you had the new one so might as well get it now.

18. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Seriously? Just because you are not perceptive doesn't mean others aren't.

19. christof72 macrumors newbie

Weight ? Maybe. Thickness ? Seriously....

20. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's not true at all... the iPad 3 doesn't have any better performance, only a much better display. It really depends on you whether or not the display is worth the upgrade -- the iPad 2 at $399 is a real steal, and even better if you get the 2,4 model which has the 32nm A5.

21. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've had all 3 iPad versions, and I went back to a 2, which was $349 refurb Apple. Well worth the price. Depends on your use, but I find the 2 is a steal at this price. Having used iPads since day 1, it is no longer worth paying $540 for the latest one. I also went down to 16gb from having 32gb ones.
    Only you can decide, but for me the iPad 2 is still a very capable device, ESP at $349' (when they are available). They sell out regularly.

22. Eadfrith, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

If money isn't an object, why compromise? The new iPad 2 (iPad 2,4) with the 32nm A5 chip is the version with the better battery life, but there is no way you can choose to get that version when you buy, it's pure luck if you end up with that one as they be quite rare according to Anandtech:

23. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Again everyone has different levels of perception. I can most definitely tell the difference immediately when I pick up my iPad 2 vs my "new" iPad. I'm not saying it bothers me, but I can tell a difference in weight AND thickness.

But I'm the type of guy who can hold two baseballs (when I pitched) or two tennis balls (now what I play) and determine a difference. On the other hand I can't really tell any difference between different levels of music compression (for example mp3 vs. acc at same bitrate or 192 Kbps vs. 256 Kbps).

In general use the iPad 2 and new iPad are the same. However the new iPad is definitely smoother and has better performance with graphics in games and video playback.

24. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Doesn't sound like you are a traveler, and have access to an electric socket. So I'd go iPad 3 over iPad 2.

Your first tablet? Either way you go (2 or 3), you're making the best choice. We can debate which is the #1 tablet (the 2 or 3). Let's just say they are the top two tablets and everything else is a distance 3rd.

Enjoy!

25. aoaaron macrumors 6502

do not look at the ipad 3 screen.

i used my friends ipad 2 screen yesterday and it was horrible.