Advice on buying

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Villarous, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Villarous macrumors newbie

Some shops around here has lowered their price on the touch so im wondering if i should strike now or not :p

The prices are
    - 270$ for touch, 8GB
    - 410$ for touch, 32GB

Someone told me the new (3rd gen) 8GB is just like the old (2nd gen) 8GB. Is that true? Nothing new at all?

Is the 32GB worth the price compared to the 8GB? The 8GB is very cheap though :p

Although my highest wish is to get an iPhone, but its so friggin expensive, and the only extra is a phone and one less gadget to carry on.. is touch really worth it? :)

Iam a student, so i will use it for the basic stuff, facebook, music, games..

Mind i dont live in USA. And this will be my 1st apple product :)

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah the 3rd Gen is the same as the 2nd gen 8Gb just with updated OS,

personally i'd buy the biggest one that you can afford, theres no upgradable parts so, you cant put a memory card in when ya need more space ;)

3. tenand2indy macrumors member

I have a 3rd Gen 32GB. I quickly exceeded 10GB of data on it including podcasts, music and a handful of tv shows. 8GB will run out faster than you can imagine.

4. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

I got a few questions, if you could answer (even yes or no is good enough) that would be awesome

-Can the browser on the touch load java stuff on sites?
    -Can you add/delete stuff on the calendar without going into itunes? I heard you have to do it through itunes..
    -Is the microphone/recorder good for recording lectures? Or do you have to be really close to the mic to able to record?

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yes there is a browser java object setting in the main control panel, so im guessing that it would work,

as for the calendar, i dont know, i havent been able to delete anything without going though iTunes,
    the iPod touch dont have a built in voice input, you'd need the headphones with microphone,

6. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Yes. There is a little "+" button on the main calendar screen used to add an event. To delete an event you simply tap the event, tap "edit", then touch the giant, red "delete" button.
    There is no mic in the iPod touch but you can plug one in through the headphone port. Your ability to record from a distance will depend on the mic's sensitivity, not the iPod.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ok good that was a question I had about the current 8GB and the old 16GB. I want to get my daughter a Touch and was looking into this, so I'll get her a refub 16GB then for the same price. Now will I have to pay to upgrade the OS on the refub 16GB?

8. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i would of though that a refurb touch would have been upgraded with the latest OS, if not then upgrade yourself, it only costs about £6 GBP so it's not that expensive

9. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

Could the microphone with high sensitivity record a teacher talking loud with a 13ft/4meters distance? :p

And how is it to be limited with internet access? and carrying two devices (ipod and phone) instead of that you could have carry only one.

10. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

dude ur getting ripped off, go to an apple store and get the 64 GB ipod touch for $358, go to today cuz its black friday cuz after today its $400. trust me u will need this much it also makes it alot faster, but yes u will need this if u have lots of videos and songs, even if u dont its good to have for the future.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

THANKS, I'm going to call Apple to order it to see if I can get engraving on a refurb Touch. I'm going to get her the 16GB one, it's a way better deal.

12. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think refurbs are an option in Norway, nor on website or retailer.
    And theres of course no black friday in norway.

13. twilcoxen macrumors newbie

twilcoxen

Amazon has 2nd gen 8GB for $158 today

I picked up these for my daughters. I guess with $10 to upgrade to 3.1 OS it isn't a total steal, but a few bucks cheaper than a '3rd' gen.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree. It is always good to future proof, - and extra space always gets devoured. Actually, I recently bought a 64GB (partly in exchange for a 120GB classic which had died a HD death after only a very few months while still under warranty; in fact, the store hadn't another 120GB in stock and couldn't manage to obtain one until after I had left the country a few days later). Despite my initial reservations and profound dislike of what I always thought was excessive hype surrounding the product, I must say I have found it to be excellent and strongly recommend it.

Cheers and good luck

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It's only going to be $5 - and you only should play once for both of them!!

16. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

So we all agree on that the extra storage on the 32GB is worth the cash?

But im in the iphone or touch dilemma :( any..thoughts?

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Well, one is a "one easy payment", the other is a (assuming you are in the US), "2 year monthly payment". For the record, if you had told me 2 years ago i wouldn't be able to afford the data on my phone - i might have laughed. However, i'm in that position and was only able to drop it because i have an "old" contract with Verizon. You don't have that option on AT&T.

If that isn't a concern for you, then look at the rest of your phone usage and see how it pans out. For me, again, everyone I talk to for any length of time is on Verizon - so i can use less minutes.

Would it be NICE to have an iPhone? Yes, i actually was driving around looking for wifi on monday while out of town, because i needed an email before a doctors appointment.

But i'm not going with AT&T :D ONly you can decide the financials....

18. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i would go with the 32gb just for the speed and headphones with mic.

19. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm. I can get a HTC Hero for 520$, but it dosnt have the same stuff like iphone/touch. Android market sucks.
    But paying 700$ for an iphone is kind of expensive for a student (thats for the phone itself, including the minimum payments for the contract)

Meh. It it worth it? I mean, the price, the difference between iphone and touch? :| i dont really want a hero, as i said the android market games and applications sucks. I want tap tap revenge! :p

20. j.donald macrumors newbie

3g

i had a 8gb , but was full when i added songs, movie and games ,

so i shifted to 32 BG ,got more space and enjoying the games , movies , than before,

so i feel 32 GB is better choice ,

21. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I just recently bought a 64GB ipod touch. It was money well spent and I am hoping it'll last me at least a few years. Prior to this I owned an iPhone and the experience I had with it is really the same as what I am experiencing with the ipod touch except I don't have to dread seeing monthly bills ! And that feels really really good, trust me.

I've been using skype on my ipod touch to make calls and so far it's worked well. Of course, unlike the iphone it doesn't have a constant connection to the Internet which means I can only make calls when I am in the vicinity of a wifi connection. It's a minor inconvenience but I think all said and done it's worth it for not being tied to a contract or getting horrid monthly bills to empty my wallet.

22. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

Well you gotta pay monthly bills on your cellphone anyways(?) :p

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

$10 for my current phone, $40 for a smartphone. But if you are going to pay the same amount for another phone - might as well go for the iPhone.

To move to an iPhone would cost me $70+ a month over my current $10. So it's a bit to consider.

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

NO iPod Safari does not have Java. It has JavaScript support, which is more commonly-used and more power-efficient. If you need a site that has real Java apps, you’ll need to look for a Touch-friendly alternative.

Re mic: newer iPods come with one (built into the earbuds), while it’s an extra accessory for older Touch models.

And I expect you could record usable lecture audio at 4 meters, if there wasn’t a ton of other noise going on to muffle it.

25. Villarous thread starter macrumors newbie

Tracy: Of interests i would like to compare the US contract with the norwegian one. Could you list up the monthly fee for the cheapest way to get the iPhone 3GS in the US (state doesnt matter, if theres any difference).

Our cheapest way to the iphone 3GS is.
    - 435 $ for the phone itself and then
    - 25$ or month for 12 months.

and after that you can change to whoever you want to be in contract with.