Advice on choosing 16gb iPhone4 or 32gb iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jenko, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Jenko macrumors regular

Hi guys and gals,
    This is a very general question but as I have yet to purchase one I am interested in peoples opinions on day to day use when it comes to making a decision on buying 16gb or 32gb. Is it better or necessary to buy 32gb or will 16gb be enough? I suppose I would be obviously making phone calls, data usage would be surfing the net, skype, average downloading of apps music and video. Sorry it is a bit vague but like I said I am not to sure what I would need. I do know that I will be using the camera a lot fro on the go photos and documentation of my art research, plus I will be taking a lot of video of my baby daughter. Again sorry for the vague rant but it is hard to know whether 16gb is enough. How much would the average iPhone user need?

Regards
    Jenko

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

I bought the 32GB iPhone 4 and do not regret it at all! It'll only be $100 more and I see it as very worth it. I store music and all kinds of applications. It really depends what you're gonna be doing. I chose the 32GB also because I love the HD video recording features. Now with 4.1 we're getting HDR pictures! I'd go with the 32GB. Trust me you will not regret it :apple:

3. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I have the 32G, and I still don't have enough room for all my stuff. Totally worth the extra $100.

4. Shifty88 macrumors newbie

I had a 16gb iPod touch for years, and was constantly having to remove videos/music whenever I wanted to put new stuff on because I filled it up really fast. It's not a huge deal, but it's nice to be able to load up more without having to fuss with deleting things.

That's why I bought the 32gb iPhone. Haven't gotten anywhere near filling it, but I was convinced that the few extra bucks would be nice to save hassle of space saving.

5. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick comeback really appreciate it. Yeah over here in Ireland it works out at €100 euro more for the 32gb and we are lucky over here as there does not seem to be any problem with the proximity sensor or antenna. Thanks again.

6. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I can see your point, it would not be the end of the world but it could be a bit of a pain to have to empty the memory all the time.
    I am also having to work out sim free or contract as well not sure at the moment which will suit my finances.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I got the 32gb only because they didn't have any 16gb at the time and I couldn't decide which to get so this decided it for me. I'm so glad I got the 32gb! Remember you'll be keeping this phone a while maybe so you'll be adding stuff all the time.

8. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

If advice - if you are in any doubt - then go for the 32GB. If you buy the 16GB and run out of space - you are screwed, but if you get the 32GB at least you will have space left over. It is better to have space left over than to run out of space.

The video camera footage - 1min = 83MB / 60mins = 4.8GB

Plus pictures are 1.4MB each

Just go with the 32GB, you can't go wrong and you'll be glad that you did when you find yourself wanting to take some pics or video and find you have no space had you gone for the 16GB.

9. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Get the larger one if you can afford it. If you don't fill the larger one up, that's no big deal. If you run out of space on the smaller one, you have to do a lot of moving things around. That's a pain.

10. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

When I get mine i'm going for the 16gb.

I don't see it being such a pain to copy a vid, couple of pics, music to my mac now and again.

11. Showtime3 macrumors member

you'll get your $100 back when you sell your phone

12. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

another thing I find, the 16GB seems to be more popular...Ive had a couple of opportunities to buy the 32GB but finding it quite difficult to track down the 16GB.

13. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

That is a very good point if I decide to sell it or upgrade next year the extra €100 euro would make for some sound investment, Thanks.

14. deeesea macrumors 6502

Go with what your wallet can afford. and you probably have another iDevice of some sort to put your music on.

15. ljx718 macrumors 6502

16. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Go with the 32gb! With iTunes offering Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, and podcasts things will fill up pretty quick. I made the bad decision when the 3GS came out and got a 16gb and took it back after a few days and got the 32gb. To me, it's worth the $100.00. Just my opinion though.

17. macsonly macrumors newbie

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL - I was going to say the same thing.

19. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

20. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

It all depends on your needs. I purchased the 16 gig and it has been more than enough for me, but I also have a 32 gig 3GS and 160 gig iPod Classic so space isn't an issue for me. My iPhone is used more as communication device then an iPod, but I do have my favorite playlists on it that contain music that I like to have access to at all times, and about 20 key apps that I use on a regular basis. For everything else I have my 3GS and classic.

However, if you are planning to use your iPhone as an all-in-one device, I advise the 32 gig.

21. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

The return on the larger capacity does make it sell easier...

But, I'm not sure it makes sense 'for everyone'.

I manage my music a little, same goes for movies. Between a 32gig 3Gs and now the 32gig iP4, I hover right at 16gig all the time. With a bit better management, I'm sure I could've been quite fine with the 16gig models.

Netflix, WunderRadio, and Slacker (not to mention the other hundreds of streaming apps others might be using) definitely help keep the total memory usage down for me. The amount of content accessible for negligible $ is incredible, and unfortunately has actually slowed our impulse purchases of both music and videos.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Personally, I went for the 32GB.

I'm not one who carries ALOT of content in my iTunes. Only have like 670+ songs right now. But lately, I downloaded four seasons of Family Guy with 73 episodes mostly at QVGA resolution and it took about 5.87GB. That is 26.8 hours of content. My free space is down to about 12.8GB.

Honestly, I don't see iPhone ever getting anything higher than 128GB. Look at the iPod classic which looks to have run its course. The iPod will turn 10-years old next year. It maxed out to 160GB. I say iPhone 5, we get 64GB, but by the 6th gen in 2012, I see no GB boost again. Maybe 128GB by 2013 with iPhone 7. Like anything in life, it will run its course. For my future roadmap with iPhone, I only plan to get iPhone 7 in 2013 and the 10th gen (aka iPhone X) in 2016 and that's it. Might have something really different by then. Look at the original iPod (aka classic) and where it is now. Nobody wants them anymore. iPhone will have a great decade run like the PlayStation brand name with the PS1 and PS2.

The future of storage is streaming (look at the TV show rentals) and cloud storage.

23. NaomiSmithxO macrumors member

NaomiSmithxO

I faced the same decision when ordering my iPhone.

I went for the 32GB, I would rather have more space than required, than just about enough.

Plus I use my iPhone as my iPod now. (Used to use a 120GB classic) :)

24. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys I know it seems like an obvious choice but I just wanted to get some general feedback of 16gb and 32gb users to help me

25. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It's up to you. Do you want to spend a little more, and get more? Or spend a little less and get less?

That's what it comes down to. No one can convince you to go 16gb or 32gb.