Advice on Converting DVD's to ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mystikpymp, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mystikpymp, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

mystikpymp macrumors newbie

Hello everyone one I plan on purchasing an Ipad in the future, but I have a question. I use a program called cu cu soft DVD to ipod converter which let's me covert dvds to put on itunes. We'll anyways I have a bunch of TV shows I'd like to convert and have in itunes and ready to sync up to my ipad. I was curious as what output setting I should put it on in order for it to look the best on the ipad. Right now I select just a general mp4 conversion which looks good on my ipod classic, but I want to make sure it would look ok on the Ipad before I do a bunch of converting and find out it looks like crap. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. RedWings macrumors regular

Download and use Handbrake. It'll have an output option of the iPad specifically.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Mac the Ripper to rip (and its free to boot) and Handbrake to convert.

4. John Benitez macrumors member

Try converting your DVD's to iPad with iFunia and Handbrake software’s which are good and easy to operate.

5. auzzuro macrumors regular

There are people selling mp4 hd movie. So u can order from them dont need waste time converting

6. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the replies. I gave up on the cucus oft and I downloaded handbrake and it seems to work pretty good. Videos on my sons ipod touch and when I hook it up to my tv with the component cables look pretty good. I actually found some Foreign guy with some settings you could download and import which look awesome. As far as buying preconverted MP4s im good with that I have plenty of DVD seasons and movies of my own that I can convert for free. Will it take awhile sure, but I can't watch everything right now and I still don't even have an ipad. But thanks again everyone for their suggestions.

7. sfphoto macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The OP asked what settings.

Would 640x480 be all that is needed?

8. sfphoto macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The OP asked what settings.

Would 640x480 be all that is needed?

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It depends. Latest version of HB has more presets. Just use the preset for the device you are using.

10. X2thaP macrumors member

I always believed this to be true, for a really long time I thought the exact same thing, so I never even tried to do it. Until... NOW.
    I just put my Prison Break DVD in my iMac (Season 1 Disc 1, which is 'copy-protected' according to the box) and what do I see?!
    Oh yes, it just happily accepts my disc, recognizes all tracks and chapters, so I loaded my 'tweaked' iPad preset and started the conversion.
    On my iMac it takes about 48 minutes for a 43 minute episode, not bad for this old beast.
    So it'll take a while, but I now know I can just put my DVD collection in my iMac and convert to iPad/iPhone4.

PS: it did ask me to install the correct version of VLC (I have the 64bit version of HandBrake, but had the 32bit VLC), but after updating this,
    everything is as normal. So I guess HB uses VLC to 'virtually load/play the movie' (to explain it in an easy way) in order to 'bypass' the protection?
    Anyway, it was a happy discovery for me, so hopefully anyone who hadn't figured this out yet will be as happy as I am.

And if you already knew, well, I didn't, as well as some people in this thread.

11. Henning737 macrumors newbie

Handbrake

Tried quite a few different ways - handbrake is definitely the best option - and it has a preset for iPad...

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

What???? HB website CLEARLY states it doesn't do copy protected disk. CLEARLY.

But, I slipped in one of my Star Wars disk in and it is telling me about 38 min to convert to iPad preset.

So now I can skip the Mac the Ripper Rip step. Cool.

13. X2thaP macrumors member

I think they legally have to do that perhaps...

I knew I was gonna make some people happy, hehe. :D

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Happy as a 'large boned' kid eating cake...

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Handbrake works great as a free option but personally I use Turbo.264 HD. It takes less than half the time to convert DVD's for iPad.

16. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

What are your settings on your "tweaked" ipad setting. Also has any one used apple tv and streamed any of these conversions using airplay or just straight from itunes. If so how did it look. I really like the idea of sending the video via apple tv to my big screen. Im just concerned of how it will look.

17. X2thaP macrumors member

Well... it's all true I guess:
    -It converts the video - straight from the dvd-disc...
    -It doesn't crack copy protection - it lets VLC load the movie, so no need to do decryption (my interpretation of what happens...)

So, yeah, again I think they might be legally bound to put this in the description maybe.
    Anyway, it works, that's what's important! :D

BTW, didn't another program used to do the same thing (like AnyDVD or sth)?? Basically load the movie in a dvd playing program and "use that output to convert".
    I'm sure there's someone who can explain exactly what happens, but I guess you understand what I mean.

It isn't that much different from the normal iPad setting, I can't even explain why I changed certain settings (like what they do exactly).
    What I did: choose the iPad setting, then go to the advanced 'tab' and change the adaptive B-frames from fast to optimal.
    Then go in the picture settings and in the filters change Detelecine to default and put the slider from decomb to Deinterlace, then choose slow.
    I'm pretty sure I changed something else, but I can't seem to find the difference...

Anyway, this (as well as the normal iPad preset) gives me really nice quality, both from DVD as 720P/1080P sources.

As for playing these on your big screen: I've watched a couple straight from iTunes on my iMac connected to my
    42" 1080P LCD TV (DVI - HDMI) and 90% looks really good. The other 10% are OK, but that's because the source wasn't that great.
    I also connected the iPad to this TV using the Apple Component cable and this gave me te same result.

/end of really long post...

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Handbrake does not have the capability built-in to decrypt encrypted DVDs. However, if you have VLC installed, it will use VLC to decrypt it.

19. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting a project of converting all 9 seasons of the xfiles and I just want to make sure it looks good enough for both the ipad and streaming to my tv before I wasted a bunch of time converting. The airplay option seems pretty damn cool so I like the idea of using it rather then dragging out dvds all the time

20. X2thaP macrumors member

9 seasons... Damn, you're gonna have something to do for a couple of days, hehe.
    I'm almost done with season 1 of Prison Break (DVD source), edited all info with Metax (awesome app!)
    The smallest file came out at 297MB and biggest at 388MB, all look really good on the 42" LCD.

Anyway, you do it one disc at a time, so that's like 4 or 5 episodes per disc maybe? You do one disc, check the result, continue if you like
    what you see or change some settings if you don't. Or you could start with a single episode as well.

So go ahead, enjoy the labor, then enjoy the result! :p

21. X2thaP macrumors member

Yes sir (m'am?), my HB asked to update my VLC as soon as an original DVD disc went in, so...
    Just install the free VLC program, fire up HB, do your settings and go for it.

22. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you do I dont have it installed on my computer and my dvd loaded and converted fine.

23. X2thaP macrumors member

Lol, this is getting stranger by the minute... Mine specifically asked to update VLC in order to convert my DVD.
    Maybe you have a similar application installed that HB can use instead of VLC.

Anyway, let's just say you pop in a disc and see what HB says; Either you're good to go or you need to install a free app, both ways sound good, right?

24. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

I know i just quoted my self haha. Anyways its to say im an idiot. The first four episodes acted like they converted fine, but when I went to play them back it was all scrambled. So yes it will convert, but your converted copy will be scrambled. I downloaded anydvd and did another conversion and it looks good and plays. So the project has started from the beginning again. Only a 180 something more episodes to go :eek:

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I have both Mac the Ripper and VLC installed. I don't know what HB is doing (nor do I really care). But I am highly impressed. I have installed several of the movies converted directly from disk and they play beautifully. And now with the File Browser app installed, I can view them over the network.