Advice on Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brsboarder, Dec 5, 2007.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, I just bought a new hard drive for my macbook. a 160gb, upgrading from a 60gb. I'm currently running leopard, and want to do a fresh install, but migrate over my information. Here's the problem. I'm currently in the process of moving from one house to another and therefore have already packed up my cd's and they are in my new house (2 hours away). I picked up an external case to help with the migration that I will put my old hard drive in. Is there any simple way to do this migration, or am I going to have to wait till I go to my new house to get my leopard cd

What if I wanted a temporary solution, non "fresh install" could I do it now? Or do I still have to wait?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you are doing a "fresh install" (Erase and Install) of Leopard, you'll need the disk. You only have the equipment at the old house to migrate your current OS and stuff (settings, files, etc....).

Good luck with the new HD and the move -GDF

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks! Thats what I thought. Guess I'll be waiting a couple days. what if I wanted to do a temporary non-fresh install. Is that possible?

4. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

anyone have advice if I don't want to do a clean install? I don't want to wait till the weekend

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you have the enclosure for the new drive, then you can drop the new drive in there, install Carbon Copy CLoner, and then clone your internal drive to the external. Boot from the external to verify that it works and then drop it into the MacBook (obviously removing the old driver first :))

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i grabbed a really cheap 2.5" enclosure from ebay for sub-10 bucks total. runs completely off of USB. haven't had a problem yet. i'd say go with something like that. got it in 3 days.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Shut down the computer, take out the internal drive, put it in the external case, put the new drive into the MacBook. You'll need a size zero Philipps screw driver to access the drive; I then carefully used a pair of pliers to remove the hard disk from its little carrier inside the MacBook (using the right size Torx screwdriver would have been slightly better).

Once that is done, boot from the external disk, start Disk Utility, format the internal disk, and then you just use Disk Utility to copy your whole 60 GB disk onto the 160 GB disk. Remove the external disk, reboot, done.