Advice on upgrading from 2010 15" MBP to 2011 model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenko, Feb 27, 2011.

  1. Jenko macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #1
    hi guys simple question. I have a 2010 15" MBP i7 arrandale with high res glossy screen, 500 gb HDD 7200 rpm.
    Is it worth while selling it to get the 2011 version?
    Is it that much more of an upgrade? or would it be more advisable to wait until next year.
    I use it for general emailing, downloading films and music, small amount of photoshop (CS5). Skype, some low end gaming, photography (documenting, not professional).
    I do not use it for film or video work but may do in the near future.
    Also would it be advisable to upgrade to Lion from SL, I do not want to loose the use of my current wireless HP Photosmart B110a which I only purchased in october.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #2
    I recommend staying with what you have. Your needs aren't very demanding. Your current machine is probably an overkill for what you use your computer for, so losing money and getting a slightly better model is useless. I would wait until your computer can't do what you want it to do.
     
  3. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Thanks for the advice
     
  4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

    namethisfile

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #4
    i was THAT close to selling my mid2010 mbp, too, with similar specs as the OP. had my pick of serious willing buyers from CL and then on the day of the exchange (earlier today), i backed out. i was selling it for a thousand bucks because i was that desperate to keep up with the tech-curve. i use my mbp for everything except gaming. so, i do photo and video editing with gimp and FCE. hoping to upgrade to the new FCP, too. so, i really thought i should jump on my chance to unload my very capable 2 month old mbp to get the new quads, but, couldn't justify the cost of spending 900 or so more dollars to get the low end 15" mbp and have a less screen resolution and a slower hdd and less vram for the gpu. or, spend well over a grand to get the high end 15" and still have lower res screen and hdd speed.

    i think i made a wise decision. offsetting my not so wise decision 2 month earlier of getting the mbp even though i knew a refresh was on the horizon.

    live and learn, i guess.
     
  5. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    It is interesting that we all seem to get sucked in to the hype with new upgrades and forget how useful our current tech still is. And that goes for the OS as well, with regard to Lion versus SL. Whatever suits your needs at that tint should be the most important issue and not keeping up with the trends. I for one am going to hold pm to my current 2010
     
  6. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    It is interesting that we all seem to get sucked in to the hype with new upgrades and forget how useful our current tech still is. And that goes for the OS as well, with regard to Lion versus SL. Whatever suits your needs at that point should be the most important issue and not keeping up with the trends. I for one am going to hold on to my current high end mid 2010 15" i7 for as long as it still works for my needs, and I will watch how the new Lion OS operates before making any rash decisions. Ad the old saying goes if it ain't broken then don't try and fix it.
     
  7. npropes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    #7
    For what your usage level is, you'll be fine for at least another two years. I'd advise upgrading your RAM next year or when you upgrade to Lion. However, until you begin to experience significant lag in completing the tasks you do, don't upgrade.

    I used to upgrade my laptops every year and in the end I spent more time and money doing the upgrades than the slightly faster computer yielded me.

    If money is not an object, then by all means upgrade immediately.
     

Share This Page