Advice Required: Replacing iPhone4 due to smashed screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

All

I 'stupidly' dropped my phone this morning and smashed my screen up. I looked into replacement screens and they are expensive and have an appointnment at Apple to replace my phone tomorrow. :eek::eek::mad:

Quick question for you all...

1. The iPhone is JB, what do I need to do to it before I go to the Apple Store tomorrow?

2. I assume paying the $200 for a replacement is the best way correct? Sites I saw for a replacement glass (no installation) are around $150.. thoughts?

Thanks all

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

3. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Gil... that gives me hope! Was your old one JB - if so, what did you do before taking it in! What firmware did it come with too?

4. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

you will want to revert back to the non-jailbroken OS, but be honest and polite when you go in, they may give you a free replacement, otherwise its only 200$...

5. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Mayboi

When you say revert back to the nonJB OS, can you explain what that means and the best way to do so? Is it a complete wipe of the phone on the Settings or via iTunes? Thanks..... my first time.

Agreed I plan to be honest and polite, I used to work retail when I was a student and there is no need to be mean to folks trying to help.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

that would mean restore the phone to the original firmware in intunes, then setup as new device.

the restore button removes the jailbreak and puts it back in original form.

7. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks OneMike.... I will hit the RESTORE button later today :(

8. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

this. best to do it, i dont know of any reason why they'd turn you away if it were jailbroken since its CLEARLY a hardware issue, but better safe than sorry.

9. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey all

When I click RESTORE it says it will RESTORE & UPDATE (I.e. to the newest version of software) is this what I do as I assume having the new firmware for a phone that is going back doesnt matter? I assume this download will not update a new iPhone if I get that correct?

Regards

10. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey all

I just did the restore and it says the was an error with the restore and now it has the iPhone plug into Itunes screen when I turn the phone on and itunes says it is in recovery mode.... any thoughts!!!! HELP!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure your hosts file don't redirect to Cydia. If it does remove it and do another restore.

12. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No offense to you OP, but seriously... get real.

Your screen is broken and it's jailbroken. Both of them voids your warranty instantly. At least, do one thing right before you head to apple store. Restore it to non-jail broken iphone. If you know how to jailbreak the iphone, how come you don't know that apple will instantly say no warranty on jailbroken iphones...

Be very nice and pray you will get a very nice genius.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Make sure you remove the jailbreak because you bring it in (by restoring your phone) because they could void your warranty.

15. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

shakeman - it is indeed a 1013 error...

16. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

All - thanks for your help, the 1013 error was fixed by removing the gs line out of my host files.

hcho3 - I think you seem to misunderstand, I am not praying for a free replacement nor am I saying I deserve one or without knowing that a JB voids my warranty. However, I do want a replacement and a JB may prevent that. Some of us, myself included utilize the help of more knowledgeable people to assist in JB our phones... and I like many am thankful for forums like these to provide an open arena for such help.
    Perhaps come off the soapbox and either not reply to my request, or accept that in such forums not everyone is an iPhone genius like you. Again, just my 2 cents worth.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd