Advice: Transferring to dumb phone, then cancelling it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuffman15, Mar 19, 2014.

1. chuffman15 macrumors regular

Here's the story:

I have sprint and hate it. I practically live at work and get no bars and my data speeds are extremely slow(less than 1 Mbps) so I want to switch to AT&T, where I know the speeds are around 30 Mbps. I have 2 lines with 15 months left on my contract so my ETF are around $300 per line. My plan is to transfer service to 2 dumb phones, wait a month and then cancel the service and pay a ETF of $150 per line. Has anyone ever done this?

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

ETF goes by the phone you got subsidized so changing to dumbphones won't change the ETF

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm confused, you first state that if you cancel your service you'll incur 300 per line ETF then you state 150 per line.

Are you saying that if you switch to a dumb phone you the ETF changes? I don't know if you can outsmart the system that way.

Have you considered T-Mo they have that promotion where they'll pay your ETF if you switch to them

4. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

I though about TMO but they only have 2g speeds where I live. WV

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AT&T isn't promoting paying for your ETF or anything? Or have you talked to AT&T to see if they would be willing to help out? Usually they're very unhelpful but it is still worth a shot.

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Now aint I surprised.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Advice: Transferring to dumb phone, then cancelling it

Your etf won't change for going to a dumb phone. It'll still be the smartphone etf.

What u should do is change your smartphones prl to a roaming one, stream all day every day. Sprint will notify u they're dropping u for excessive roaming. There's no etf, and they give u 30 days to port to another carrier.

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Yep that will work. Can it be done on an iphone, assuming that is what he has?

9. eyoungren, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^Yep, roaming is how to handle it. Sprint got wise to the smartphone/dumbphone switch about a year ago so it's not possible to do this any more.

You may have to jailbreak to be able to force roaming though. No idea how it's done on the iPhone.

Oh, you'll need to do it for at least two months. Sprint gives you a pass on the first month.

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah. I believe u gotta be jb cuz you'll need either ifile or be able to ssh into the hidden files on iPhone. I used to do it on my old 4s, switch prls to like Verizon ones to get faster 3G.

----------

Google it. There's guides on how to do it

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have Sprint and the call signal is great. I don't use data so I'm not bothered by the slow speeds. However, like you, I want out. I pay $67/mo. for talk and text which I can get on T-Mobile for $35/mo. Sprint doesn't have this same deal, so once the iPhone 6 is released, I am switching over to T-Mobile or ATT.

Sprint has your smartphones link to your account & number, so you won't be able to just switch to a dumb phone without paying the ETF for those smartphones.

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

U can switch but the etf won't change. But yeah do the roaming trick and you'll get out of the etf

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

T-Mobile is probably better than Sprint 3G anyways ;)
    Worst case scenario have T-Mobile buy out your contract and then switch to AT&T.

Edit: Wow just looked at the coverage map for T-Mobile in WV and wow it's really bad. Now I see what people are talking about when they say its not for everyone. Luckily it works just as good as AT&T or Verizon in my neck of the woods.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AT&T is currently offering $100 per new line addition, however they are not offering ETF payments. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, but for a brand new customer, I wouldn't get my hopes up TOO high.

The way I figure it, you will have to sell your Sprint phones anyway. use that to pay your ETF, get a pair of phones on the NEXT program, and you will probably find yourself about even when all is said and done.

15. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help. I'll just wait for a jail break for 7.1 and try to change the prl? I'm sure there's a how-to on that somewhere.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

There is. But who knows how long til a jb for 7.1 comes, if it even comes

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just go to tmobile. Have them pay your etf. It will take around 4 months to get your prepaid debit card (your eft payment that tmobile uses).

After 4 months with t-mobile. Bail on tmobile and take ur iPhone 5s over to AT&T. Tmobile will unlock your phones after 60 days and pay it all off.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I was expecting a really long wait on the ETF reimbursement, but it took a little under 2 months from the time I signed up. It only took about 40 days from the say I submitted the ETF bill. The website made me think it would take at least 2-3 months, but I was shocked 2 days ago when I received the ETF prepaid card. The website still says they have not even mailed it.