[Advice] What hardware/revision to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jav6454, Jul 13, 2008.

  1. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #1
    So, I have decided just recently to buy a MacBook Pro. I have the budget for the $2499 one and I have just test drived one at the Apple Store in Mall of Louisiana, Baton Rouge.

    My problem is deciding when to buy. Most people advice me to buy just after the MacBook Pro refresh. However, here is what comes to me. The next revision of the MacBook Pro is promised or expect to come with the new Montevenia platform. This platform is able [to what I know] to support the future Nehalem and current Penryn processors. However, I have heard that the new Montevenia platform is more beta hardware than anything else.

    I personally don't want to be a test subject of new hardware that may crash or have hardware bugs. On the bright side, Montevenia platform promises faster speeds. If I am not mistaken the current platform of the MacBook Pro is Santa Rosa, which I've heard is good, but is already maxed out in speeds.

    I would just like some advice which to get: Montevina (a new unknown platform) or the Santa Rosa platform.

    Also, this can be a n00b question, but can you update a processor, for example, switch a Penryn to Nehalem in a MacBook Pro? or is it soldered to the mother board?

    Any opinions or comments are welcomed. :)
     
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    you can't update the processor. My advice is, if you need one now, go buy it. The current penryn MBP is the most stable and refined revision as yet. Optimized battery life, top notch efficiency etc. Like you i didn't want to be a test subject nor be subjected to REV A issues. I prefer my gear reliable and mature hence I am getting a 2.5 penryn.
     
  3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #3
    As the refresh seems to be coming soon id wait,but to be honest i've not done alot of reading up on montevina platform as i already own a penryn MBP and am waiting till Nehalem gets released to buy a MP, the current gen of MBP's are great machines

    You cannot upgrade the processors on MBP's since they are soldered on
     
  4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

    kingcrowing

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    #4
    Another vote for 'go safe'.
    I just bought a new MBP (In the mail now!) because although the current revision may have some scattered (according to some 100% widespread) graphical issues, other than that its a great machine, it runs fairly cool and is very fast, esp if you toss 4GB of RAM in it (On newegg for $52!!).

    It seems like people are expecting the next revision of MacBook Pros to be a bigger change, not just a new mobo/cpu in the same case, possibly something more like the air in style. This could be good if you really care about vanity. However I'd rather get the last revision of this generation than the first of the next. The first MacBook Pros quite frankly were not very good, They were very hot and could be loud (due to heat) for the post part they've solved that problem. The new ones... who knows? And if the graphical issue really becomes that much of an issue, apple will do a recall, they've done it on motherboards before so if its a real issue, I trust apple.

    I say buy now.
     
  5. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #5
    if you want to 'play it safe' at least wait for the new one and get a refurb cheap.
     
  6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #6
    I have a first gen MBP that i keep as a spare and to be honest it only gets around a few degrees hotter under heavy load than my penryn MBP it is also no louder so i feel you comment is more of a generalization
     
  7. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #7
    Well, many have suggested get it now. Thing is my funding source isn't allowing me right now (its a 1/4 loan from my parents for my 21st birthday).

    By the time the funding arrives I am assuming the MacBooks would have been refreshed. In that case what I'd do (since I don't need need need it, I just want it) I'd wait for a while till around Feb of next year when the next refresh is expected and maybe the "beta" hardware is resolved.

    Also, I might read what people have to say about the new refresh. If I can see the new Montevinia platform is stable enough as the current one, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd be patient and see if the hardware issues are resolved.

    note: parents refuse a refurb, although its fully supported by Apple.

    Any comments on my new plan?
     

Share This Page