[Advice] Which notebook to choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jav6454, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hi,

I am new to the Mac Notebook world and would really appreciate some advice on the following. I don't know in which forum to put this as there really isn't one general forum to answer my question.

I am going to buy around October [since the Mac notebook lineup is expected to refresh by that time] a new MacBook or MacBook Pro. Problem is I don't know which. Budget wise there's no problem as I've saved just shy of $2300.

My uses are for college [iWork, Office, iCal, enginnering stuff] and normal Internet usage [such as YouTube, iTunes shopping, e-mail, Web]. I also will also run Windows Vista on it [either through Boot Camp or Parallels as I need some Windows based programs running]. I also do some photo and video editing on family/friends stuff on my current Windows based machine.

My current machine is an HP dv1660se, 2GB RAM, 1.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HDD, 14.1" Screen and no video card.

I am wanting something portable like my current screen size and laptop weight [so if I choose MacBook Pro it be the 15" one] and powerful enough to run every program I need, including dreaded Windows.

However, I was reading the Buyer's Guide that MacBooks are consumer laptops where as the MacBook Pro is more professional oriented.

I am torn which to choose. Any advice would high be useful. Thanks

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

From you're described usage I would bet that a macbook would be a good choice for you, especially because of the portability.

On the other hand, if you have the money the mbp is a GREAT machine.

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Agreed. Unless you do have the $$$ for a MBP

5. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Oops forgot the budget.

Well budget is $2300 USD. I have saved alot for the Mac of my dreams:apple:

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Use student discount to purchase the $1999 (will be $1799 with student discount) model and purchase a memory upgrade at Newegg or mac sales or datamemory or wherever.

7. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks for that. Thanks everyone who is advising me, yes, I was thinking the MBP, and quite certainly I see I was thinking right.

Anyone else is still welcome to post your opinions.

8. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I second this opinion completely

9. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

And save a bit of money for AppleCare. If you are going to invest this kind of money on a computer, might as well protect your investment. I recommend extended warranty on notebook regardless of the brand. It's like insurance. You buy it, but hope to never have to use it.

If you buy in October, you might get a refreshed model, but you won't get the free iPod. Tough decision that only you can make.

10. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, and I do need to change my iPod, cause my current one died just 1 week ago [hard disk failure to a 20 GB Photo iPod.]

I read the refresh is expected July-September, so I am hopping Apple will refresh early [as they did in February] the MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup before the September 15 [I Think the deadline is the 11th, may be wrong here] of college promotion.

If not, I think I can manage to save up for a new iPod for December, I am thinking of the iPod Touch [even though I have an original iPhone] since I want that 32 GB the Touch has to offer [and the my iPhone is used for when I forgot or my iPod was discharged...I'm using my iPhone as iPod replacement right now, but I still prefer to have both devices just in case....]. Thanks to my iPhone I have become increasingly interested in Mac, and my iPhone [its beauty & ease of use] was a major factor for choosing a Mac as my next laptop.

Thats just me...

11. illidian macrumors 6502

The MacBook suits your needs just fine, as you aren't doing any graphics in 3D.

The Pro does have a few niceties and if they're worth it for you, you've got the money.

12. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks, more comments are welcomed :)

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I agree with this ^.

Similar situation myself, I keep flitting between the Macbook & the MacbookPro.

For what it is the MBP is well ,dare i say it , not worth it . The macbook will do just fine & tbh the refresh will come before October imo so I think you'll be getting the iPod too ;)

lets hope they really do refresh before the iPod offer runs out , they have done before , with the iMacs a couple of years ago I think

edit> have a look at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=509392&highlight=macbook+photoshop it's what finally (i think :D ) persuaded me to go Macbook , definitely use student discount too

14. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

See, I was thinking the MacBook Pro because it has a Nvidia video card, something that I am looking in a laptop.

I did look for a video card in this HP, bought another HP with video card. However, Best Buy people [geek Squad] got mixed up and sent me a different HP laptop, this one I'm using, and ended up with no video card, I called their [Best Buy and Geek Squad] supervisor, couldn't get them to budge taking it back without restocking fee or changing this one for another laptop, but I got a $500 gift card from Best Buy. So really can't complain and this computer has been trustworthy, never fail. [I read somewhere HP/Sony are the best in Windows based computers]

However, my engineering teacher has led me every years to do highly graphical stuff [and more complex] that require the video card capabilities [which is why I updated the RAM from 1GB to 2GB in order to give me time to save for the Mac].

Yes, I've heard MacBooks can stand normal and medium video usage, but I prefer a more spec heightened laptop.

Then again, this debate is why I posted this thread, to see which can be my best choice, so keep those comments comming...:)

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

^ well now you have said that you need the video card , close the thread ..... .. MacBookPro it is , without doubt !

16. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, I know I need a video card, but if the MacBook delivers I will get that as I also need something portable. Which is why I am also torn apart from which one. :S

17. NovemberMike macrumors member

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9244

Nvidia just announced that a bunch of their laptop GPUs are defective. I would recommend sticking with the Macbook line unless it turns out that the 8600 wasn't one of the defective lines.

18. ManWithhat macrumors regular

I agree with the above, however, there's no guaranteeing that the next card will even be an NIVIDA card. Anyways, many MANY MBPs are like setting a small campfire on your lap.

The new x4500 that comes with the montevina upgrade (refresh), is actually a decent card (even with its beta drivers).

19. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm also taking that into account. Right after I read it off the MacRumors front page I told myself "I definitely need to wait for the refresh and see what Apple does in order to protect its consumer base."

But the overheating in the many MacBook Pros is not an issue to me as I use the laptop on a desk or table and rarely on my lap. So campfire is out. However, I still want to watch out for current overheating as I don't want my graphics card to be melted away.

20. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i recently bought a macbook a few months ago, and i was going back and forth between the pro and the macbook. Looking back i had wished i bought the pro, and if i could re-do it i would likely get the pro. I like the larger screen size, multi touch, aswell as its a bit more powerful. Videocard doesnt mean much to me.

However i LOVE my macbook. Its such an amazing machine. I use it currently to do ALOT of tasks! Such as recording in garage band or logic. Photo editing in aperture, internet-ing, downloading music, running windows xp through vmware fusion (GET FUSION OVER PARA!), and light video editing in iMovie. Its handled all of this and i am blown away. Such a small, beutiful, compact notebook can do so much.

Either one will suit your needs im sure. If you have any interest in gameing the macbook pro would be a better option. Your going to love anyone you get. Garunteed!

21. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

What do you mean by more powerful? the have the same specs.(only the lower end MBP)

22. JasonMac macrumors regular

JasonMac

Just get a regular macbook, its plenty enough.

23. kabunaru Guest

Just buy an updated MacBook.
    The updated aluminium MacBooks should bring the MacBooks to the MacBook Pro "level". ;)