Advice: Worth getting iPod 5G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by saudor, Aug 13, 2014.

1. saudor macrumors 6502

I already have an iPhone 5 but it is only 16 GB. But I kinda like to keep my phone lite and slim in terms of apps. Seems to be good for battery life too. I've been using my iPad 64 GB for music but it's not exactly portable so to speak...

Im thinking on getting the 5G 64 GB for music, gaming, etc and was wondering if it's worth it to take advantage of the price cuts. There's no refurbs in the canadian refurb store so that's a bit of a bummer there, otherwise it would be a no brainer.

It also looks like a new gen isn't going to show up anytime soon + it'd be the full 419+13% tax (Canada)

Thoughts? Wait? or Plunge/waste$. Thanks!

2. 617aircav Suspended

I would sell the 16gb 5 and put all that money towards a 64gb 5 or 5s.

3. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I agree, especially if you have an iPad. I have an iPhone, iPod Touch, and a Tablet, and rarely use the iPod anymore. That said, I think I'll need to use it soon :p

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

If you're looking for something more economical with plenty of space, you can always go for the iPod classic or an older iPod video. I bought a refurbished 80GB 5.5G for about $70. Works great. Along with a new 160GB classic.

Of course, it won't do BT, or apps and internet. But it holds a ton and lasts around a week on a charge with every day use. Just throwing it out there.

Otherwise, I wouldn't really recommend the touch at the moment. If you asked me in 2012 or up to mid 2013, I would have. But the A5 is getting some age on it. I'd wait for a refresh, or go with an alternative.

5. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I can't see how it would even be usable with that HUGE BEAM sticking out from its camera!!

/s

6. saudor, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

saudor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts!
    Here's my reasonings against a 64 gb phone. (i haven't completely dismissed this idea yet..)

- I want to keep it lean for mostly core stuff which i think cuts down on battery via notifications, and possibly general stability etc

- Upkeep: I usually upgrade (full price) every 2-3 years and a 64 gb phone each time can get pricey. The iPod purchase would be a one time deal. Plus the 2nd hand market for 64gb isn't as demanding as the 16/32 i think either. (if anyone has any insight on this bit, let me know!)

- Apps: I can offload some of the lighter but larger games from the iPad which frees up more space for my productivity stuff (growing 2-3GB each year)

- battery life: gets distributed across two devices at the cost of carrying more devices. (but not all the time)

I thought of the classic as well but I think i'd have to mod it with a memory card or something? Plus my music library at 35 GB isn't large enough to justify going 80-160 GB and lose the flexibility of offloading apps from my other two devices. That battery life is amazing though

I was also thinking 3rd gen 64 gb but concerned that the battery might be shot. The CPU in that is much weaker so maybe the A5 won't be so bad?

Pricewise:

the 5G is currently ~$345 including taxes (+64 GB) under the current pricing.
    The iPod under its normal price would come out ~$473

The 5S 64 gb is ~$1032 including taxes (+48 GB)

Edit: a 64gb iphone 5 seems be around 350-400 secondhand. Hmm

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hang around for the refurbs. They might not come around right now, but they're around the corner.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I highly recommend getting a Touch 5. With the Apple return policy, I would buy one and try it out for a week.

9. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Or music and videos the iPod touch is fine but the A5 is getting pretty old for games and some developers are already dropping support for it.

10. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

If you want it, go for it. As long as you do not play graphically intense games, you should be alright. I'm typing this on my iPod touch 5 right now!

11. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

i agree with this. A5 is 3 years almost and games don't run so smooth on it anymore. The reason why apple release 16gb at 199 kinda hint that they want to get rid of the 32/64 stock and release a 6. Touch 5 16gb can be their lower price market for those who only go for casual games and music or video.

I would wait for a month to see new iphone as ipod might introduce as well.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The Touch 5 still runs very smooth and I only heard of one game being written so far that will not run on the Touch 5. I agree with you on waiting till the end of September before buying a Touch 5 since there is a remote chance that the Touch 6 will come out. If nothing comes out by the end of September, the OP can buy one and tryout all his games / apps for a week and make up his own mind. If he doesn't like it, he can return it.

13. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I wish i can do the same. Im speaking from the land where return policy not exist. We can change for new one if its factory defect from apple store but can't return it if you aren't satisfied. :(

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Congrats on the additional "c" in your username :D. I heard it can be tough to get them to fix usernames.

I'm usually not in favor of returns but, I think the OP needs to try out the Touch 5 for a week with his games / apps to decide what he thinks.

15. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Quite embarrassing there 555

Lets share our insight after we both got the Touch 6 this Oct.

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'll be the first one cheering if the Touch 6 comes out in October but I still think it will be spring 2015 at the earliest.

17. saudor thread starter macrumors 6502

Just as a follow up.. Checked the second hand market.. bought a 32G that was replaced with warranty.. (and warranty still remaining); 0 battery cycles on the iPod for half the retail cost. not bad i'd say!

Dumped most of my stuff and still have about 9 gb remaining.

18. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

iPods do not show cycles. They only show zero. Trust me I've tried and the 5th gen touch that I have still shows 0 cycle.

19. saudor thread starter macrumors 6502

Bummer I wonder how Apple figures it out in terms of warranty/battery is shot issues...That being said, the battery life is phenomenal so not really complaining!

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Congrats !!!
    Post what you think of it after a week of using it.

21. saudor thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I checked the serial number and manufacturing was end of may. It also gave me free iWork apps so it has to be pretty new at the least.

So far I'm loving it! Yeah it's a bit slower compared to my iphone 5 but that's not an issue. It's mostly for music/podcasts and dumb games (2048, plants vs zombies, angry birds type) anyways

the ipad is for heavier games/ tasks where I jump back and forth. Same deal with my phone where I go back and forth from safari and messages.

22. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I don't personally think that it's worth it, and I do have a bit of buyers remorse now that I look back at. Maybe I'd have a bit more money to upgrade from my iPhone 4 if I wouldn't have shelled out money for an iPad mini in December 2012 (don't regret it) and an iPod touch 2 months later (February) for $300.

It has excellent battery life compared to my iPhone and is great for games and other things that take up space, but I don't really play that much and all my shows are on my iPad.

It cracked within a month of owning it (personal irresponsibility, I understand)

It was good back when I was younger and actually enjoyed my iPod (2nd gen) but now that i have an iPhone/iPad, there was no reason to purchase it.

I'll keep it to save battery on my phone, though. :p

23. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I got my iPhone 4 two months after I got my iPod touch 5. I'm finding that with my 4S the iPod Touch is useless but I really like the extra screen real estate. So I'm not sure what to do with it, I've been using it as an eBook reader and music player.

24. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's worth it - why buy 2011 specs nearing the end of 2014?

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Same old complaint from you on the specs :D.

The A7 is overkill right now for most things and the A5 runs the latest IOS 7 very well.

and if you are buying Apple devices based on spec, you might as well buy an Android device over an iPhone or a Windows based PC over a Mac.