Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Hi guys I am planning to buy a fully loaded MBA soon (end of next week). My plan is to use it mainly for word processing, presentations, and mild use of photoshop and SPSS while traveling. The reason I am asking for your opinion is because, of the all macs I have been reading about since joining the site, MBA by far had the worst reviews!

I just want to hear any good experiences from MBA users and if anything I need to be worried about or avoid to do when using the MBA.

Finally, am I right of thinking that if any upgrade to occur to the MBA it will be mild speed pump and possibly a 3G right? i.e. there is nothing else more significant that anybody heard of? Because if not I will definitely buy it by the end of next week, however if there is, then I don’t mind waiting for few extra weeks, but not months as I will be traveling by the middle of August.

Thanks

Edit: I won't be using the MBA as the main machine, as i already have an MBP which i am using as a desktop (with external monitor) mostly now.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I think it is a fine machine if you use it as it was designed: a second computer used for traveling. A lot of people have tried to use the Air as their main machine and have been disappointed by its limitations.

If Apple releases a new Air with cellular connectivity, then it might be a great choice for some people.

Otherwise, just get a new silver MacBook. It is nearly half the price, is much more practical and expandable, and has the exact same dimensions as the Air besides thickness.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
My advice is don't even think about it.

That thing will not run PS very well, it is not expandable, you're stuck at the specs you buy, there's no optical drive, only one USB port...

Really, save some money and get a better computer.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Thanks guys. I think i made a mistake, as i wanted to post this thread in the MBA forum, does anybody knows how to move it to the MBA forum?

Also, i would appreciate more opinions. Thanks

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
The MacBook Air gets a lot of bad press from people who can't afford it, and/or don't understand it.

Assess if its "limitations" will be an issue to you. For instance, no Firewire, but then, hey, neither has the Alu MacBook. No ethernet, not a concern if you use wifi. No SuperDrive? I can't remember the last time I burned a disk, but you can grab the external Superdrive if you find yourself occasionally needing to. For me, external HDs and memory sticks long removed the need.

As soon as my wallet allows, I'm be grabbing a SSD MBA to complement my Mac Pro :) But be confident that the MBA will be fine for your usage even if it's your sole machine

My advice is don't even think about it.

That thing will not run PS very well, it is not expandable, you're stuck at the specs you buy, there's no optical drive, only one USB port...

Really, save some money and get a better computer.

Photoshop handles fine on my Intel Core Duo Mac Mini from 06, and the OP only reports "light usage". A MacBook Air will absolutely smoke that, especially an SSD brand. Seriously, what are you even talking about.

The new model with 9400M, DDR3 RAM and DisplayPort is one fine machine, especially if you're springing for the SSD ("fully loaded") model... I had a play with one in a store, those things are fast as hell!

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
The MacBook Air gets a lot of bad press from people who can't afford it, and/or don't understand it.

Assess if its "limitations" will be an issue to you. For instance, no Firewire, but then, hey, neither has the Alu MacBook. No ethernet, not a concern if you use wifi. No SuperDrive? I can't remember the last time I burned a disk. External HDs and memory sticks long removed the need.

As soon as my wallet allows, I'm be grabbing a SSD MBA to complement my Mac Pro :) But be confident that the MBA will be fine for your usage

Photoshop handles fine on my Intel Core Duo Mac Mini from 06, and the OP only reports "light usage". A MacBook Air will absolutely smoke that, especially an SSD brand. Seriously, what are you even talking about.

I'd say the new model with 9400M, DDR3 RAM and DisplayPort could arguably be a decent main machine.

And if you can spring for the SSD ("fully loaded" model), you will be laughing. Those things are fast as hell.

Thanks, first positive view (with evidence) ever about an MBA for a while. I have to say i am not bothered by the peripheries issue and for heavy duty work i will be using my MBP (which i am using as a desktop at home). And for me, money is not an issue (just for now, anyway :cool:)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany

Assess if its "limitations" will be an issue to you. For instance, no Firewire, but then, hey, neither has the Alu MacBook. No ethernet, not a concern if you use wifi. No SuperDrive? I can't remember the last time I burned a disk, but you can grab the external Superdrive if you find yourself occasionally needing to. For me, external HDs and memory sticks long removed the need.

As soon as my wallet allows, I'm be grabbing a SSD MBA to complement my Mac Pro :) But be confident that the MBA will be fine for your usage even if it's your sole machine

The new model with 9400M, DDR3 RAM and DisplayPort is one fine machine, especially if you're springing for the SSD ("fully loaded") model... I had a play with one in a store, those things are fast as hell!

What version of PS?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
:) it looks like you really dislike the MBA, did you own one yourself or is it because from what you heard?

Neither. I look at the price, which is way too high, and then look at the specs, which are terrible, and I say "What idiot thought of that?"

I could get a MacBook that has better specs for less money. It seems like a no brainer to me, but I guess some people like the ultra portables.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Neither. I look at the price, which is way too high, and then look at the specs, which are terrible, and I say "What idiot thought of that?"

I could get a MacBook that has better specs for less money. It seems like a no brainer to me, but I guess some people like the ultra portables.

You sound like a typical "you can get an xyz pc for half the cost of a Mac" naysayer there.

Consider this - should a customer looking at a 32GB, $399 iPod touch instead get a $249 iPod Classic, 'cos it's cheaper and holds more? They're not comparable in that way. Same for the MacBook range. Raison d'etre. The MacBook Air is 2/3 of the MacBook's weight, is much wieldier, with a thinner profile and better (non-glassy, while still LED) screen. It has its own things going for it.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
You sound like a typical "you can get an xyz pc for half the cost of a Mac" naysayer there.

Consider this - should a customer looking at a 32GB, $399 iPod touch instead get a $249 iPod Classic, 'cos it's cheaper and holds more? They're not comparable in that way. Same for the MacBook line.

Besides, the Air, at 2/3 of the MacBook's weight, is much wieldier, with a thinner profile and better (non-glassy) screen. Raison d'etre

I think that they should get whatever suits them.

But I'd rather pay less for better specs. I value performance over portability.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I have not thought about. Either remote disc or directly from the web.

Like I said, for those occasional times you'll need an optical drive (burning a audio CD? installing software... that's it, really) Apple do sell a MacBook Air-specific USB external SuperDrive you might want to look into.

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009

honestly, you just because you think the macbook air is overpriced doesn't mean that it is a terrible machine. i use a macbook 2.4 ghz aluminum unibody, and sometimes i wonder if a macbook air would be right for me. Financial issues are not a problem from the OP, as he would not even make this forum in the first place.

On a separate note, wait a week. You might get a pleasant surprise such as built in 3g, bigger hard drive capacity, or speed boost.

o2xygen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009

Consider this - should a customer looking at a 32GB, $399 iPod touch instead get a $249 iPod Classic, 'cos it's cheaper and holds more? They're not comparable in that way. Same for the MacBook range. Raison d'etre. The MacBook Air is 2/3 of the MacBook's weight, is much wieldier, with a thinner profile and better (non-glassy, while still LED) screen. It has its own things going for it.

Im with shake n bake on this. I have a '06 mac pro that i used at home for video editing, at university I use a '08 mac pro. I wanted something portable to use in between. I was thinking about an MBA, but decided to go for the uMB mainly because of price and I didnt trust the MBA enough to handle PS/Ai/Fl etc.

If portability is an issue, the uMB is barely any heavier. I carry mine in a neoprone sleeve only. It really isnt heavy at all.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If the MacBook Air had the option to go to 4GB of RAM, I would have bought one. That was probably the main determining factor for me. I simply do not "fit" into 2GB of RAM.

Fortunately, the uMB feels much lighter and thinner compared to the plastic body MacBooks, much more so than would be suggested by looking at weight and measurements alone.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Im with shake n bake on this. I have a '06 mac pro that i used at home for video editing, at university I use a '08 mac pro. I wanted something portable to use in between. I was thinking about an MBA, but decided to go for the uMB mainly because of price and I didnt trust the MBA enough to handle PS/Ai/Fl etc.

If portability is an issue, the uMB is barely any heavier. I carry mine in a neoprone sleeve only. It really isnt heavy at all.

"Didn't trust the MBA"? What does that even mean? Did you try using it? If you couldn't afford it, fair enough, but a 1.86 MBA shouldn't be noticeably different to a MacBook, they use exactly the same RAM and graphics... an SSD MacBook Air would actually prove quicker in day to day use thanks to a faster HD, even the 1.6 flavour.

No one's saying the MacBook is heavy... but the MacBook Air is lighter. You can pick it with your thumb and two fingers. It's just amazingly light. Can't be much heavier than the Apple keyboard I have in front of me.

If the MacBook Air had the option to go to 4GB of RAM, I would have bought one. That was probably the main determining factor for me. I simply do not "fit" into 2GB of RAM.

Fortunately, the uMB feels much lighter and thinner compared to the plastic body MacBooks, much more so than would be suggested by looking at weight and measurements alone.

Agreed - the UMB is a major step up from the 5lb plastic MacBook

Before I settle on an Air, I'm holding out for 4GB, and faster processor options. Cheaper 128-256 SSD would be fantastic as well

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
To the OP, everyone's ramblings about how the MBA sucks doesn't apply to you. It's a fantastic laptop for travel, especially as a secondary computer. It handles PS and Adobe without any problems. Go for it if it's what you want, you won't regret it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.