Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
From personal experience from selling the blasted things, I would advise you read this before you continue.

If you drop a MacBook, plastic or aluminium, its usually fine. Drop an Air (and my Gods we did once) and they come off a lot worse. Ours would not boot, not even a series of beeps, after it fell four feet onto a carpeted floor landing flat on its back.

Yes, they're quite fast but not amazingly so, but for your specified needs it would probably fun acceptably fast. And yes, the angled illuminated keyboard is lovely for typing on. I just always got the impression if I typed a little too hard my fingers would go right though and out the underside.

The screen is far better than that of the MacBook, but not on par with the current Pros. Also, the one we had on display got hot enough to warp its plastic stand after a customer had loaded a Flash-heavy website. The actual underside of the machine was painful to touch.

The battery... the battery is good, depletion-wise. But usually with portable machines, truly portable that you intend to slog around everywhere, you carry an extra battery or two (I have a spare one, pity its white) so you can work mobile for longer. Well that's dead in the water to begin with.

I quite like the SSD. Its nippy with the exception of boot times, and sometimes telling it to move a large folder will make it lag, but apart from that all is good.

The lack of ports is abysmal. You need a hub to connect both a printer and a camera simultaneously. Or a USB mic and a MIDI converter. And so on. The lack of an ethernet port will annoy you if you stay in a cabled hotel and don't have the right adapter and a hub so you can connect other devices. Though that said the Mini Display port is capable of a lot.

So by all means go on your own judgement, but from usage of the machines in store I have already found a lot of their short fallings.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
"Didn't trust the MBA"? What does that even mean? Did you try using it? If you couldn't afford it, fair enough, but a 1.86 MBA shouldn't be noticeably different to a MacBook, they use exactly the same RAM and graphics... an SSD MacBook Air would actually prove quicker in day to day use thanks to a faster HD, even the 1.6 flavour.

If you benchmark the MBA, you'll see that it still falls short of even the last generation's plastic macbooks, except for the SSD.
Bottom line is, SL9X00 are low-watt processors, and are probably not designed for performance use (PS etc). It's more than adequate for browsing, email and video viewing.
You'll probably be better off getting the uMB (now with the improved screen), and using the money saved to get a performance SSD like intel x25.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Thank you very much guys for the feedback. To be honest i am not keen on the uMB. For me portability is very important (at least for the next few months). So i am between either buying the air or not, rather than buying air or uMB.

Good point about the hotels thing, this is why i was planning to buy the Ethernet, and VGA (for presentations) connections.

I have to be honest i am not a big fan of youtube (occasional visitors for tutorials or a laugh). internet wise i will be only browsing, downloading documents and things like that max. my main work will be using the programs that are already installed in the MBA.

good advice about waiting a week, though i will be really shocked if anything comes in this conference as it looks it is more about the SL and iphone, however one week will not harm me much.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
or an Airport Express... which caters for your "cabled hotel" scenario too. The "Air" philosophy is all about wireless peripherals after all!

That's very good idea, never thought about the airport express idea. So now there is no need for me to buy an Ethernet cable yeah?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I can only give my personal experience from actually using a first generation air for roughly a year.

It was primarily a secondary computer for use on the road. It performed well doing very light photoshop, word processing, presentations, etc. Despite the widespread issues of that generation, I had no qualms with the computer.

Traveling with the computer was a pleasure. I could tuck it behind the inflight magazine on take-off and landing and worked brilliantly in buses, trains, flights, boats, and cars.

There are those who say that the footprint is too big. Well, what is brilliant is that the computer is thin and light, and mobile, easy to work with, but you have a full-sized screen and keyboard. Very important for actually wanting to do work.

I currently have a macbook pro as I am away from the home office longer than I was, and having the extra pixels and more memory were both important on doing day-to-day things for a month at a time.

On flights I do miss the smaller footprint and the lighter weight while traveling, but life and work is always a compromise, and at the moment I would rather compromise on travel days than everyday work.

One thing that is just stunning on all the notebooks is the enclosure. The first impression of the Air in February 2008 was not just how light it was, but how sturdy the system appeared.

All things considered, I highly recommend the Air if you don't have a memory limitation or if you aren't going to max a faster processor.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I can only give my personal experience from actually using a first generation air for roughly a year.

It was primarily a secondary computer for use on the road. It performed well doing very light photoshop, word processing, presentations, etc. Despite the widespread issues of that generation, I had no qualms with the computer.

Traveling with the computer was a pleasure. I could tuck it behind the inflight magazine on take-off and landing and worked brilliantly in buses, trains, flights, boats, and cars.

There are those who say that the footprint is too big. Well, what is brilliant is that the computer is thin and light, and mobile, easy to work with, but you have a full-sized screen and keyboard. Very important for actually wanting to do work.

I currently have a macbook pro as I am away from the home office longer than I was, and having the extra pixels and more memory were both important on doing day-to-day things for a month at a time.

On flights I do miss the smaller footprint and the lighter weight while traveling, but life and work is always a compromise, and at the moment I would rather compromise on travel days than everyday work.

One thing that is just stunning on all the notebooks is the enclosure. The first impression of the Air in February 2008 was not just how light it was, but how sturdy the system appeared.

All things considered, I highly recommend the Air if you don't have a memory limitation or if you aren't going to max a faster processor.

you have mirrored exactly what i am planning to do with the air. Thanks for your time.

[/QUOTE] Unless you really want one.[/QUOTE]

I know it was a stupid question :p, i just wanted to see, if there is any situation where Ethernet connection will be more practical or a situation where airport express will not be practical or possible to use. The only thing i can think if, is if there is no power supply in the area i am visiting, which is not likely to be the case with me anyway.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell

you have mirrored exactly what i am planning to do with the air. Thanks for your time.

Unless you really want one
I know it was a stupid question :p, i just wanted to see, if there is any situation where Ethernet connection will be more practical or a situation where airport express will not be practical or possible to use. The only thing i can think if, is if there is no power supply in the area i am visiting, which is not likely to be the case with me anyway.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009

Unless you really want one

I used the ethernet adaptor 3 times. So I am not a great judge. My only comment would be that if you take the weight of the airport express and the macbook air, you are probably pretty close to the weight of the macbook...

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I used the ethernet adaptor 3 times. So I am not a great judge. My only comment would be that if you take the weight of the airport express and the macbook air, you are probably pretty close to the weight of the macbook...

Its a good point, however, i am anticipating that in most of travel i will be going to areas where there is either a wireless or no internet at all. So i won't be using the express much. having said that, i was trying to find a way where i can expand my house wireless connection, with this express thing i can hit two birds in one stone; ethernet replacement and expanding the network.

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
No one's saying the MacBook is heavy... but the MacBook Air is lighter. You can pick it with your thumb and two fingers. It's just amazingly light. Can't be much heavier than the Apple keyboard I have in front of me.

I can do that with my uMB. .... ok, strains my fingers a bit!

Seriously though, the MBA is an awesome machine - as everyone says, it *really* depends on your needs. Performance wise it's very similar to the MB, and as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations will handle what you listed. My main reason for avoiding it is the 2gb memory limit - at the moment I'm on 2gb on my unibody (from 4gb on my previous white macbook), and it's a big difference for my useage - definitely need to upgrade soon!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would wait until the end of June. Seriously, if there are no updates as rumored in June, it could be July or January before we get an update. Especially if the MBA is getting a form factor change.

At the same time, I highly recommend waiting until at least two weeks after WWDC. Apple has a history of updating the week before and two weeks after WWDC. And if the 3G card gets implemented in the MBA, we could even see it at WWDC next Tuesday.

The point is, unless you absolutely have to have it now, wait. Even if the spec bumps aren't that big, you will probably get a $500 discount on the rev B MBA once the new MBA is released.

Or, the rev C MBA could be a huge upgrade. It likely will get a 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, new battery tech (5 yr battery), glass trackpad, 3G, and possibly even a huge upgrade to an OLED display! I think that is all worth waiting to see if there is a June update.

However, we have all waited and waited before, so if there is no June update, go ahead and buy at the end of June... unless we get seriously strong advice to wait via some inside information.

There is no reason to buy now unless you have no other Mac and need it, so I would wait out the current rumored June update scheduled... for sometime around WWDC.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
MBA by far had the worst reviews!

People who can't afford something desirable tend to pooh pooh it by way of tempering their own disappointment. I wouldn't worry too much about that, the current MBA especially SSD is a fine computer with a lot more power than you'd think in a thinner, lighter and beautifully crafted case. If you're interested to know how I'm using mine read here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/704485/

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I would wait until the end of June. Seriously, if there are no updates as rumored in June, it could be July or January before we get an update. Especially if the MBA is getting a form factor change.

At the same time, I highly recommend waiting until at least two weeks after WWDC. Apple has a history of updating the week before and two weeks after WWDC. And if the 3G card gets implemented in the MBA, we could even see it at WWDC next Tuesday.

The point is, unless you absolutely have to have it now, wait. Even if the spec bumps aren't that big, you will probably get a $500 discount on the rev B MBA once the new MBA is released.

Or, the rev C MBA could be a huge upgrade. It likely will get a 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, new battery tech (5 yr battery), glass trackpad, 3G, and possibly even a huge upgrade to an OLED display! I think that is all worth waiting to see if there is a June update.

However, we have all waited and waited before, so if there is no June update, go ahead and buy at the end of June... unless we get seriously strong advice to wait via some inside information.

There is no reason to buy now unless you have no other Mac and need it, so I would wait out the current rumored June update scheduled... for sometime around WWDC.

Thanks. I have been given this advice before (about waiting two weeks after the WWDC). To be honest i hate the waiting game thing, because you never know when apple will hit you with an update (my experience with the blackbook was two months after i purchased it!!). However you present a valid argument. I was planing to buy it after the conference, however after considering your argument i may just wait to the end of june. The thing is, i will be very busy around the beginning of August (travel/work) and i just wanted to give the MBA a test for few weeks to insure it is not faulty. Sometimes you just wish that you have a relative at apple board who can give you hints :p. Thanks again

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
People who can't afford something desirable tend to pooh pooh it by way of tempering their own disappointment. I wouldn't worry too much about that, the current MBA especially SSD is a fine computer with a lot more power than you'd think in a thinner, lighter and beautifully crafted case. If you're interested to know how I'm using mine read here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/704485/

Thanks for the link

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks. I have been given this advice before (about waiting two weeks after the WWDC). To be honest i hate the waiting game thing, because you never know when apple will hit you with an update (my experience with the blackbook was two months after i purchased it!!). However you present a valid argument. I was planing to buy it after the conference, however after considering your argument i may just wait to the end of june. The thing is, i will be very busy around the beginning of August (travel/work) and i just wanted to give the MBA a test for few weeks to insure it is not faulty. Sometimes you just wish that you have a relative at apple board who can give you hints :p. Thanks again

Well, I have a friend who has family at Apple. My source, who has given me some accurate information (about limited products/never about MBA), told me that there would be no MBA update when the MBs and MBPs were next updated in JUNE. However, I would like to discount that based on what a lot of us speculate would be the normal evolution of the MBA. It seems like most of the components for a rev C MBA are ready to go (but perhaps not a 256 GB SSD).

I have thought for awhile now that a rev C MBA could go any direction. It could be more powerful in the same form factor. It could be less powerful, smaller, with a ULV CPU, and a carbon fiber case. It could stay exactly the same if sales are stagnant... which I think could be the situation. I just don't know where Apple is taking the MBA.

The latest rumor was that the MBA would become the mainstream MacBook in some fashion. I guess that would fit in with a rumor from someone stating there would be no rev C MBA when the MBs and MBPs were updated.

I guess we all just need to wait and see, but I think waiting makes so much sense right now. Paying $2499 for seven plus month old technology just doesn't make a lot of sense. Not with the whole Apple price gouging system of maintaining same price even when components costs half as much seven months later. So, waiting may just lead to a $500 discount on a clearance rev B MBA if you don't like the direction of the rev C MBA... or you don't feel the upgrades are worth the price tag???

I am all for an extremely expensive rev C MBA that has everything I could dream of... like an 8 GB RAM option, an OLED display, and all the fixins... I know that is dreaming, but I am all for an excellent selection of BTO options where Apple could make more money on the MBA - if that is what Apple wants to do with it???

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Well, I have a friend who has family at Apple. My source, who has given me some accurate information (about limited products/never about MBA), told me that there would be no MBA update when the MBs and MBPs were next updated in JUNE. However, I would like to discount that based on what a lot of us speculate would be the normal evolution of the MBA. It seems like most of the components for a rev C MBA are ready to go (but perhaps not a 256 GB SSD).

I have thought for awhile now that a rev C MBA could go any direction. It could be more powerful in the same form factor. It could be less powerful, smaller, with a ULV CPU, and a carbon fiber case. It could stay exactly the same if sales are stagnant... which I think could be the situation. I just don't know where Apple is taking the MBA.

The latest rumor was that the MBA would become the mainstream MacBook in some fashion. I guess that would fit in with a rumor from someone stating there would be no rev C MBA when the MBs and MBPs were updated.

I guess we all just need to wait and see, but I think waiting makes so much sense right now. Paying $2499 for seven plus month old technology just doesn't make a lot of sense. Not with the whole Apple price gouging system of maintaining same price even when components costs half as much seven months later. So, waiting may just lead to a $500 discount on a clearance rev B MBA if you don't like the direction of the rev C MBA... or you don't feel the upgrades are worth the price tag???

I am all for an extremely expensive rev C MBA that has everything I could dream of... like an 8 GB RAM option, an OLED display, and all the fixins... I know that is dreaming, but I am all for an excellent selection of BTO options where Apple could make more money on the MBA - if that is what Apple wants to do with it???

I see what you mean. I guess i will take your advice and wait to the end of June, just in case. Even though i don't think having a better spec is a big issue for me (as it will be a secondary computer), still, if i can get a more powerful MBA with the same amount of money (or extra few bucks) why not.

My brother is holding from buying the MBA, mainly because of the RAM and HD; he wants a minimum of 4RAM (i think 8 is a bit ambitious :) )

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I see what you mean. I guess i will take your advice and wait to the end of June, just in case. Even though i don't think having a better spec is a big issue for me (as it will be a secondary computer), still, if i can get a more powerful MBA with the same amount of money (or extra few bucks) why not.

My brother is holding from buying the MBA, mainly because of the RAM and HD; he wants a minimum of 4RAM (i think 8 is a bit ambitious :) )

I don't think 8 GB of RAM will happen, but it's ok to dream. If Apple continues to solder on the logic board, we should see 4 GB of RAM - definitely not 8 GB. However, if they put two RAM slots in there, it could be a dream scenario...

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I don't think 8 GB of RAM will happen, but it's ok to dream. If Apple continues to solder on the logic board, we should see 4 GB of RAM - definitely not 8 GB. However, if they put two RAM slots in there, it could be a dream scenario...

Yes it would be a dream scenario. So because of you, i will start counting the days :p ; today is 5 days of 31, still another 26 days! :D

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I love my MBA and I use it as my primary computer

For word processing, emails, and surfing, it is excellent

however - if you're going to be using Photoshop significantly, I highly recommend going with a MacBook or MacBook Pro

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Just ordered the MBA (3 days to ship!) hope it comes faster. I'd like to thank you guys for the advice (all the guys who answered by thread questions) especially Scottsdale and jnc :)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Just ordered the MBA (3 days to ship!) hope it comes faster. I'd like to thank you guys for the advice (all the guys who answered by thread questions) especially Scottsdale and jnc :)

Now, with the faster processor and lower price, I'd recommend the MBA to anyone looking for that type of computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.