TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hi,

Hoping for some advice, i bought my macbook pro retina 15" (mid 2014) with AppleCare in Dec 2014 it runs out in less than a week on 04/12/2017.

Prior to the macbook pro retina (mid 2014) i got now i purchased a macbook retina mid 2014 from apple in 2014 and returned for refund as it had an LG display, a week after tried again and was lucky and got a Samsung display.

Was very pleased that i got one with a samsung panel second time round, however i started having the dreaded staingate problem last week where anti-reflective coating is coming off the screen. Friend took it to apple store for me yesterday with a note asking can they ensure replacement display is a samsung panel and not an lg panel (apparently they don't know if it lg or samsung) not sure how, must be someway engineers can identify the display before they assemble surely. Problem is i feel conned, i sent the first macbook pro back simply because of the lg display and i feel now i am being expected to settle for second best lg display which will highly likely suffer horribly overtime from screen burn-in which is not good to me as i have my laptop on all day with screen on without issue on samsung display.

Can anyone give me any advise? i'm from uk, my applecare protection runs out in less than a week i returned my first macbook because it had a lg display but now it seems i'm expected to accept an lg display even though i sent first one back for this reason, should i phone apple and demand a samsung panel or anyone have luck with same similar issue?

Cheers.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Why don't you want to use an LG panel? They're identical, that's why they use both. You'd have a hard time demanding a replacement when the replacement isn't defective.

I totally disagree, whites are more yellow (warmer) on LG whilst Samsung is more cooler. I did send first macbook pro back because it was an LG display so fail to see why i should have to accept an LG panel that is only being replaced because of poor quality screens that is not my fault to begin with, never had an anti-reflective coating issue on even the cheapest of laptops so for £2k i expect better to be honest.

The LG panels haven't had meaningful issues since the 2012 model.

Wrong they have, the internet is full of information about the difference between lg and samsung displays and still current.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I totally disagree, whites are more yellow (warmer) on LG whilst Samsung is more cooler. I did send first macbook pro back because it was an LG display so fail to see why i should have to accept an LG panel that is only being replaced because of poor quality screens that is not my fault to begin with, never had an anti-reflective coating issue on even the cheapest of laptops so for £2k i expect better to be honest.

Wrong they have, the internet is full of information about the difference between lg and samsung displays and still current.

Well then the answer is clear, go phone Apple. If the new screen is defective then they'll obviously replace it, if the defect is in your head based on previous experience then good luck with it.

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Did you try calibrating the white point?

Reactions: newellj

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
There’s reasonable expectations to have about what is at the end of the day an expensive premium machine, but IMO who’s manufactured the screen is not one of them. If the screens on the whole didn’t meet apple’s spec, they wouldn’t use them. If your particular unit doesn’t perform to spec, they will replace it. Unfortunately absolute perfection in mass production is something that doesn’t exist, QC is there to make sure variances are within a tolerable range, but as a customer you have to at least accept trivial variations.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
Do a full calibration of the new display using the Displays pref pane.

I don't think Apple is going to replace the screen because you got an LG instead of a Samsung.

You should be happy they replaced it, period!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
must be someway engineers can identify the display before they assemble surely

There isn't. The only identifying information is a serial number for the part, and even that may be encoded in a 3-D code. Apple HQ or engineering might be able to decipher what screen is in that clamshell but the tech sitting in the back room of the Apple store won't have that available to them, they just know it's the panel that goes on that system. The screen is sealed in the clamshell, so there's no taking it apart and looking at the back of the screen directly to determine the manufacturer, if those labels are even there.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Did you try calibrating the white point?

No, never had to. But will try. Thanks.

There’s reasonable expectations to have about what is at the end of the day an expensive premium machine, but IMO who’s manufactured the screen is not one of them. If the screens on the whole didn’t meet apple’s spec, they wouldn’t use them. If your particular unit doesn’t perform to spec, they will replace it. Unfortunately absolute perfection in mass production is something that doesn’t exist, QC is there to make sure variances are within a tolerable range, but as a customer you have to at least accept trivial variations.

Fully understand but at a cost of over £2,000 with apple care protection i expect a perfect screen seeing as i have never had a anti-reflective coating issue with laptops ranging from £300+ over the years before buying my macbook pro.

I would not have had to be replaced if it wasn't for the anti-reflective coating coming off (staingate issue), therefore as that's not my problem either i expect it to be replaced with same, LG screens are different to Samsung, i have to admit this LG screen is much better than the one i saw in Dec 2014, laptop doesn't even get moved from the desk it's on, never taken outside or from desk so well looked after yet having anti-reflective coating coming off i am not holding out much hope on the replacement. Simply isn't good enough on Apple's part.

Do a full calibration of the new display using the Displays pref pane.

I don't think Apple is going to replace the screen because you got an LG instead of a Samsung.

You should be happy they replaced it, period!

Errr why should i be happy they replaced it? it's a staingate issue, anti-reflective coating coming off, which apple opened up a program for so people could get screen replaced, seeing that they gave in when they were threatened with legal action over in the US. In addition to that my first post clearly states it still in warranty as-well as i bought apple care protection so i expect it to replaced and should not have to be happy they replaced it, it's my legal rite to a replacement screen.

The fact you think i should be happy they replaced it even though one it's a staingate issue that they admitted to and opened up a replacement program for and the fact i'm still in my warranty (apple care protection) tells me you must be a proper apple fan boy who needs to get off his high horse. If apple did not obtain screens that has poor ant-reflective coating then i would not have had to had it replaced to begin with!

There isn't. The only identifying information is a serial number for the part, and even that may be encoded in a 3-D code. Apple HQ or engineering might be able to decipher what screen is in that clamshell but the tech sitting in the back room of the Apple store won't have that available to them, they just know it's the panel that goes on that system. The screen is sealed in the clamshell, so there's no taking it apart and looking at the back of the screen directly to determine the manufacturer, if those labels are even there.

That's good to know, but apple in my opinion should change there process to include identifying information. When i purchased macbook pro in dec 2014 i sent first one back as it was horrible lg screen, i then got refunded went back a week later tried again and got a Samsung screen, i just feel it should be replaced for another Samsung display. I wouldn't buy a samsung phone and when it fails receive a lg as a replacement.

Last edited:

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
No, never had to. But will try. Thanks.

Fully understand but at a cost of over £2,000 with apple care protection i expect a perfect screen seeing as i have never had a anti-reflective coating issue with laptops ranging from £300+ over the years before buying my macbook pro.

I would not have had to be replaced if it wasn't for the anti-reflective coating coming off (staingate issue), therefore as that's not my problem either i expect it to be replaced with same, LG screens are different to Samsung, i have to admit this LG screen is much better than the one i saw in Dec 2014, laptop doesn't even get moved from the desk it's on, never taken outside or from desk so well looked after yet having anti-reflective coating coming off i am not holding out much hope on the replacement. Simply isn't good enough on Apple's part.

Errr why should i be happy they replaced it? it's a staingate issue, anti-reflective coating coming off, which apple opened up a program for so people could get screen replaced, seeing that they gave in when they were threatened with legal action over in the US. In addition to that my first post clearly states it still in warranty as-well as i bought apple care protection so i expect it to replaced and should not have to be happy they replaced it, it's my legal rite to a replacement screen.

That's good to know, but apple in my opinion should change there process to include identifying information. When i purchased macbook pro in dec 2014 i sent first one back as it was horrible lg screen, i then got refunded went back a week later tried again and got a Samsung screen, i just feel it should be replaced for another Samsung display. I wouldn't buy a samsung phone and when it fails receive a lg as a replacement.
no where in the apple care policy does it say that theyre obligated to providing a samsung made screen as a replacement. so i dont think you have any authority in that regard. be thankful they replaced it

Reactions: HenryDJP

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
no where in the apple care policy does it say that theyre obligated to providing a samsung made screen as a replacement. so i dont think you have any authority in that regard. be thankful they replaced it

Funny enough no where in the apple care policy does it state or in description before purchasing macbook it states 'we are aware of our screens anti-reflective coating is coming off but hey ho we are still going to sell it to you for a ridiculous price and then screw you over with a poorer quality screen on replacement.

and NO I WILL NOT BE THANKFUL THEY REPLACED IT.

Screen is faulty because anti-reflective coating is coming off therefore i am entited for the screen to be replaced under there replacement screen program let alone the extra apple care protection i bought SO STOP SAYING I SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THEY REPLACED IT, MY LEGAL RITE TO A REPLACEMENT, IF THEY DIDN'T I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND WOULD WIN WITH FLYING COLOURS IF THEY REFUSED TO REPLACE.

To many apple fan boys on this forum sucking up to apple even when they are in the wrong producing cheap crap and charging ridiculous prices for old tech that they rename and call it an apple revolution. hahahah.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012

A screen thats more cooler is more defective in color accuracy. Just color calibrate your lg panel to the cooler side if you want poor colors

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
Funny enough no where in the apple care policy does it state or in description before purchasing macbook it states 'we are aware of our screens anti-reflective coating is coming off but hey ho we are still going to sell it to you for a ridiculous price and then screw you over with a poorer quality screen on replacement.

and NO I WILL NOT BE THANKFUL THEY REPLACED IT.

Screen is faulty because anti-reflective coating is coming off therefore i am entited for the screen to be replaced under there replacement screen program let alone the extra apple care protection i bought SO STOP SAYING I SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THEY REPLACED IT, MY LEGAL RITE TO A REPLACEMENT, IF THEY DIDN'T I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND WOULD WIN WITH FLYING COLOURS IF THEY REFUSED TO REPLACE.

To many apple fan boys on this forum sucking up to apple even when they are in the wrong producing cheap crap and charging ridiculous prices for old tech that they rename and call it an apple revolution. hahahah.
Well take them to the small claims court :/

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
I'm sorry but i don't think anyone at Apple is going to take you seriously with this claim. I understand that you feel like the Samsung display is better for whatever reason, and we all want our computers to have the best parts so they can work flawlessly, but to Apple they're exactly the same and no genius will be calling the HQ to ask the engineers for a Samsung display just for you.

Good news is i found a command you can run in terminal to actually find out the serial of your display + the manufacturer. LT would be Samsung and LP would be LG.

--> ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 <--

You should see this:

LTN133AT03
Color LCD

If you want to keep bringing it in for screen replacements and check until you get a samsung one, but don't really think Apple will replace it just because you got the model you didn't like,as to them they're exactly the same. If they agree it'd be like admitting one is better than the other, and then more angry customer would flow in. They have to stand by their manufacturers is all i'm saying.

Last edited:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I have several MBPs with LG displays. I agree they are somewhat warmer than the Samsung versions - however, this variation is so minor I never assumed it to be a defect but rather a minor IPS variation (especially considering individual displays of the same model/brand can have variation in this regard.)

To my knowledge, the issues with image retention on some of the LG panels (which did affect some Samsung panels as well, but arguably in lesser quantities) have been resolved. I've tested the LG panels on my MBPs (and some display models) for this very issue and have been unable to reproduce it. As I would expect for a computer so expensive, the quality of the LG screens on my MBPs has been outstanding.

It's your call as it is your system, but I don't personally think you are settling for an inferior product, and I personally don't think this is something that makes sense to pursue unless there is a glaring defect in the individual display on your system.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You got a Samsung display, and it started flaking. And now you want a Samsung display again. Please explain that.

Reactions: newellj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.