Aerial Screensaver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by maverick808, Jul 7, 2016.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

When the new tv was released I'm sure I read somewhere that the aerial screensaver videos would be regularly updated. I feel I've been seeing exactly the same 10-15 videos since release. Is this the case for everyone or is there something that I'm missing that is meaning I'm not getting updates.

I found this URL that seems to list the source videos and looking at that it does seem there aren't any new ones that I haven't seen...

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/000/Features/atv/AutumnResources/videos/entries.json

2. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

3. Tech198, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  4. crazyninja macrumors newbie

I've only seen 4 different screensavers for the entire 6 months that I have had the Apple TV. They usually play one of them over and over and then will add in 1 of the other 4 (San Francisco Night, London day, NYC Day, Hawaii Day). I keep thinking an update will fix it, but nothing has changed. I have not completely reset the whole device yet to see if that fixes it.

5. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

I'm still only seeing about 4 or 5 screensavers as well and I'm also wondering if something is messed up. Has anyone reset their ATV4 and had more screensavers cycle through?

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I just got ours on Christmas Day and have only seen:
    Iceland Day
    LA Traffic
    Hollywood
    Dubai Night
    London Night

I've been hoping to see others too.

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Despite being set for Daily download, I've only seen two or three of the locales, including the original SF night.

Apple needs to fix the selection algorithm, or actually give users a choice of which scene they'd like to see.

But user choice is probably too novel of a concept for the company at this stage, or they're saving it for TVOS 11 as the Next Big Thing.

Think Different?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Would also be nice if Apple would offer a check box of each one so you could temporarily remove some and 'force' play others that rarely get played.

9. melapple macrumors regular

You guys have been lucky. As I wasn't seeing any (not one!) of the new screensavers I switched from weekly to daily downloads but nothing has changed.
    Don't know what to do at this point. Contacted them through their Apple support twitter account and got no response.

10. xcel360 macrumors regular

I have the same issue.

I have an AppleTV that I just got last month and I'm seeing the new screensaver just fine. I have another that I purchased last December and it won't download the new ones. No matter what time frame I select it shows just the original ones.

Anyone with any ideas it would help. I really don't want to have to reset to factory settings.

11. red41 macrumors regular

The LA traffic one is terrible. I don't know who finds that visually appealing.

12. parkds macrumors regular

I am also unable to get any of the new footage to download. I have 2 AppleTVs and neither of them have played any of the new aerial shots. They are both set for daily downloads and restarting the devices hasn't helped. Very odd.

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this? I have seen a number of posts of people with the same issue.

13. flashcube macrumors newbie

flashcube

14. xcel360 macrumors regular

I finally bit the bullet and reset my appletv to factory settings. Had to redo load all my apps and redo all settings/logins but I finally have the new screen savers on both devices.

It sucked, but the only way I could seem to get it to work.

15. Julien, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I seem to have 1 of the shots as either 'blank' or somehow corrupt. I just get a 'black' screen for a couple of minutes until it cycles to the next video.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    There is no information there that isn't known (or should be known). We are asking how to 'force' ATV to download the new videos. And I would like a way to be able to select or deselect them individually.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    I may try this. Strange that I seem remember having at least a few of the new ones and they no longer show up. Although it may just be from looking at them here: http://benjaminmayo.co.uk/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers#b8-3 :D

Did it download them all right away or did it do it one a day? If one a day that would take well over a month.

16. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

I will finally do this as well. Thanks for taking one for the team to see if it works. :)

17. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

New screensavers are now downloading with 10.1.1

18. mic j macrumors 68030

How can you tell?

19. flashcube macrumors newbie

flashcube

The following worked to get new aerial screensavers on two AppleTV4's I have, (select DAILY) but if not, update your iOS system to the latest 10.1.1 or above. I noticed restarting the AppleTV4, helped speed up the process. Keep in mind they are huge 600mb files, and only come down one a day IF YOU USE THE BELOW SETTINGS:
    ____

How to change how often Apple TV downloads new Aerial screensaver videos

If you want to change it up more frequently, you can increase how often Apple TV downloads new videos.

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Select General.

[​IMG]

3. Select Screensaver.
    4. Select Type.

[​IMG]

5. Select Aerial.
    6. Tap the Menu button on the Siri Remote to back out. It is the top button on the left side of the face of the remote with the word "Menu" on it.
    7. Select Download New Videos.

[​IMG]

8. Choose how often Apple TV downloads new vidoes from Never, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly, to DAILY.

20. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

21. mic j macrumors 68030

Got it. I just updated, so not seeing anything yet. I thought you might have found some menu item that showed them downloading.

22. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

That would be nice.

23. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

Not really into the big cityscapes either. Would be nice if we could choose "Nature only" Aerial scenes. So much more relaxing...

Better yet, let us put together our own "playlist" from a list of available scenes... :cool:

//

24. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

You can download them from You Tube and watch them any way you want

25. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

I'm talking about this an enhancement to the tvOS screensaver functionality. Not just access to the video themselves.