Afraid Apple is about to deny warranty coverage for my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mvd.sf, Nov 5, 2009.

1. mvd.sf macrumors newbie

I took my MacBook directly to an Apple store after it stopped working yesterday (it was working, I closed it, took it to my friend's place, it wasn't working when I opened it up again). A computer tech said he smelled something fruity and asked if I had spilled juice on it. I didn't spill anything on it, much less juice, which I rarely drink.

Now I'm paranoid. Best case scenario = mistaken diagnosis, my laptop is actually covered by Applecare. Worst case scenario = they find juice inside the laptop, which means someone else spilled it there. I know some customers will lie about their own mistakes, so I can't really prove that I'm not lying or that I really didn't spill anything.

Question: Is there any way to protect myself now? If any fraud is involved, it's already happened. If there really is juice inside the laptop, I can't prove it didn't come from me. I'd appreciate any ideas.

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

How else would juice have gotten in there, if it is in there :confused:

3. mvd.sf thread starter macrumors newbie

The gist of my post is that I'm worried about Apple fraudulently denying warranty coverage by claiming I spilled juice, then spilling the juice themselves to create an explanation for my laptop not working. Huge logic leap, I know, but I can't think of how to protect myself if that actually happened.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what fraud?

it wont matter where the juice came from

the applecare is for the machine, not you..... meaning if juiced got spilled (even not by you) the machine is not covered

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Take it to another store.

And change your cologne, or shampoo.

6. mvd.sf thread starter macrumors newbie

"I took my MacBook directly to an Apple store." Is that statement ambiguous as to who is suggesting I'm not covered? It seems clear to me, maybe you could tell me where the ambiguity is, keeping in mind I'm a newbie who might be conflating concepts. Unless you're just being a smart alec. As a newbie, I really can't tell.

It might be fraud if the only person who possibly could have spilled it worked for Apple. If it were anyone else, I would agree with you.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well for starters, even if Apple denied you coverage due to it being spilt on, its NOT fraud:rolleyes:

buuut you dont even know what apple is even saying either so yes, your thread title is misleading and false
    ok? now youre saying apple may have spilt something on your laptop? lol

8. mvd.sf thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, missing pieces of info: The tech said if the fruity smell was juice, then Apple wouldn't cover the repair, so I do know what Apple is saying.

I live a juice-free existence so either there's no juice, or the juice didn't come from me. If it came from Apple and is being used to deny coverage, that could be fraud. I used "may" so as not to be misleading--it's just a possibility.

I just want ideas on how to protect myself before letting Apple do any work on the laptop.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

I smell a conspiracy!!:eek::rolleyes:

Nothing... take your Macbook in and get it repaired.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's some pretty bold s***. I've seen leaps in logic but you've gone to a whole new level. This is the same company that gives new computers to people who complain the loudest (seriously). There is nothing gained from losing you as a customer. If in fact there is juice in your machine i'd start questioning family members and friends, but do you wear scented lotions or let girls use your machine?

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If there is something slpilled in your laptop it's going to be obvious. As for fraud your just being paranoid. No one is out to void your warranty. Just take it in and get it repaired.

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

If they claim there is spill damage inside and you know it couldn't have possibly occurred in your custody just tell them that. It is not unreasonable to ask to have proof and have it documented if they are claiming it came in damaged and you know it didn't. It is one of those crappy situations that is hard to prove. If you are positive they spilt something ask if they have security cameras in their service area.

However thinking they spilt something on purpose to justify not fixing it while not impossible seems very unlikely. There are scumbags out there so you can't say never but some tech doesnt have much to gain by doing that and Apple as a corp isnt going to sanction such things so if it did happen it would surely be an accident...maybe camera footage can prove that if you want to push it that far. I would be willing to bet they would work something out with you before it got to that.

I know it hurts to have a couple thousand dollars on the line for most of us. Just remember being a jerk to them is not going to help. Threats are thrown around so much these days nobody cares if you claim you are going to sue them and their grandma.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why would an apple employee do that? they only get paid by the hr

if something was spilled, it was done by a friend or family member

this is quite amusing thinking apple sneakily sills stuff on peoples computers and then cover it up....:cool:

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U probably didn't spill it but somebody that had access to it did. Your warranty is now void. Time to fork up some money for a new logic board or machine.

15. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Like I said IF it happened in the tech shop it was an accident most likely. Which could still mean a cover up and blame the customer. But spilling it on purpose seems unlikely.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

17. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Honestly, stop being so paranoid.
    If there was spill damage, and it wasn't you, find out who it was and if you do, I would ask them to fork over the money for the repair.

Now, just because the guy at the store smelled something fruity and automatically assumed there was some spill damage, from Hi-C or whatever, is a bit of a reach on his part, but I don't think he'll engage in espionage in order to validate his opinion.

He assumed, and now you're assuming. It could be lotion, woman's perfume, body soap, or anything like that that leaves a lingering scent.

The only way to know for sure is to actually open the thing up.

Though I do admit, sometimes the geniuses can get a bit snarky.

"There is dust under my display."
    "Well, sir, did you drop it while in the Sahara?"
    "Yes. That makes perfect sense. Thank you."

18. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

There is a moisture sensor inside, that's what they will go by (assuming they don't discover juice stains inside.)

Either way, you're not going to get arrested. It's not like they are questioning you under oath.

19. vant macrumors 65816

No Apple employee is going to risk their job to deny a random customer a warranty claim.

20. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

If you haven't spilled anything, you have nothing to worry about.
    I

21. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

If he smelled something like juice, I am betting his experience with similar problems is that something spilled on it, not just planting the cover story for later.

22. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Apple is not going to sabotage your notebook. That's just not the way they run things.

Apple authorized repair centers like MacXperts are another story entirely, apparently.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I doubt Apple's repair centers keep juice around so they can screw over people.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Never know...
    [​IMG]

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think Apple has anything to gain by trying sabotage your computer. I had numerous calls with similar problems. Customers would bring in their laptop whether it be authorized service centres or Apple Stores and would get a call because of some sort of liquid damage. Of course the customer will deny it an call AppleCare. We would get as much information so we can call where the computer was serviced. Ultimately the customer will suddenly forget about the whole repair.

Now I'm not saying you're lying, but again Apple has nothing to gain by ruining your laptop unless you think it's a way to balance out all the computers they give away whether it be for customer satisfaction or replacements.