Afraid not to buy the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Oct 2, 2017.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I have an Ip7 that is great, except as soon as the X comes out it will be an old, obsolete 4 year old design. Looks like I just have to get the X to stay current.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Design is in the eye of the beholder. Even though the iPhone 8 has a four-year-old design, some don't care about having a new form factor to still have a functional iPhone that's powerful. And the iPhone 8 offers a huge amount of potential and technology incorporated.

3. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

That's fine, make somebody happy with a cheaper good working second hand phone :)

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I am still on a 6+. I am getting the X but my 6+ still works perfectly really.

6. davyh macrumors newbie

davyh

Afraid not to buy the X just to stay current?

Guess these were the type of customers Apple was banking on when discussing the pricing for the X.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

You should replace your car first. Anually. That's what people will really judge you based on. And it better be nice.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It won't be obsolete; it will just be an older design. You'll still be able to use it and get things done like checking email, checking Facebook, web browsing, and playing music. Oh, and making phone calls. :)

9. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I know I may be in the minority but I really don’t mind my 8 looking like the 7, 6s, 6. I care more about the internals. I love the A11 bionic processor in it. This phone flies. I like the variety Apple has. I also have a SE and it suits my needs as well. I like options and on a personal note consistency is important to me. I am using a case from a 6 on my 8 and a screen protector from a 7 on my 8. Works for me. The X seems to be for people who are wanting a new aesthetically pleasing phone. Seems a win win for me. I totally understand others want a new looking phone and I am happy one is coming for those that want it.

10. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

There are loads of great reasons to buy the X, but that isn't one of them.

11. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Wow ! just WOW. I love these posts.

12. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I think the poster was just being facetious.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I think this thread is supposed to be satirical, but there’s no way to tell because many people actually think this way (even more subconsciously than consciously) and don’t realize that they’ve been totally brainwashed by consumerism.

In fact, if we’re honest, most of us buy new phones sooner than we need to for largely superficial reasons. We’re convinced that we need a better camera, or more pixels in the display, or a faster processor even though our current one isn’t slow.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What will the X do that the 7 or 7+ can not?

15. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Remember when you purchased a mobile phone to make calls ?

16. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yea I am not sure you should replace just for something different, but if you value the new features and have the funds to do so, I see no reason why you shouldn't. I'll be upgrading from the 7 plus. Can't wait.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Animojis! :D

18. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Keep us updated.

19. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

But everybody knows that the coolest cars are the older ones, like 50 year old ones.

I wonder if there'll ever be a "classic phone" industry...

I guess not. You can quite easily run a classic car on the same roads and petrol etc as a new one, but you can't even use an original iPhone in Australia any more because no 2G network...

20. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I can sort of relate to this too. I have a 6s, and I feel like if I get the 8, the world is going to transition around me to a place full of bezel-less phones.

21. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Wireless Charging...and probably the useless Animojis.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The imojis are on the gimmicky side for me. Wireless charging would not make me pick one device over another, but that is just me.

23. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

I almost forgot, Portrait Mode can now be done using the front camera as well as rear. But that's about it.

24. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

Afraid not to buy it because you won’t be current? Pretty sure no one cares what phone you have. Use the phone that’s best for you and never buy a phone just for the “cool factor”.

25. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

My boss still uses a IP4. She just loves it I guess.