Afraid to Take iPad on the Go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bembol, Mar 8, 2011.

1. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

This topic came up because I was the bank earlier and the rep made a comment how brave I am to be carrying my iPad with me. He also pointed out it's probably the reason why he doesn't see many out there and was surprised to see me with it.

Now that I have my new 64GB 3G I do take it out more than my 16GB W-Fi. Do you take yours out or had isssues that prevents you?

2. fishcube macrumors 6502

I plan to take my Ipad2 with me everywhere. We live 45min from larger town and there's lots of times I am waiting for appts, visiting family and just waiting for various things and want my ipad with me.

3. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Unless you live in Gangsterville USA I wouldn't bother too much. I must admit thought that I don't use my iPad too much while commuting in poor neighborhoods or in poor countries.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I dont understand, I walk around regularly with my iPad out. Whats the big deal in the bankers mind about it, is what I wonder.

I am constantly roaming the Los Angeles streets with my iPad, it's the reason I got it!

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I take mine out for the most part unless I'm doing a gig. I don't need it with me at that point.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I see dozens on every flight I'm on. I know I always bring mine. It's my new inflight workhorse. Never bring the laptop out anymore.

8. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

One of the main reasons for owning an iPad is because of its portability. It is meant to be taken "on the go"!

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am with you there, especially on long flights... the battery life is awesome

10. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Aren't you worried about those Tennessee fans accosting you? :D

[UT alumnus here]

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i carry mine with me all the time if im going somewhere i know has wifi. have so since day 1. i am gonna get a 3g version this time so i will have it on me alot more.

12. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Weird comment by that rep. People carry all sorts of pricey tech with them that could be the target of theft. Unless you were in a not so great part of town I don't see what the problem would be.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Well, I take my iPad everywhere it's feasible. For instance, if I'm going to the supermarket, I generally don't take it cause I have my iPhone.

However, on my daily commute, I use it on the Metro-North, but I do not use it on the NYC Subway. On the subway, I just feel there is a lot of chance for trouble. Dropping it, being stolen, etc.

But I've never been afraid to use my iPad anywhere if I need to.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's a very odd reaction that the OP got. I live in Chicago and have owned the iPad since its release. I commute daily by public transportation (40-45 minutes each way) and have used my iPad on the train since the beginning. I also have taken it with me to Mexico and Europe (Eastern and Western). I have never considered using it in public to be an issue. It's no different than people using notebooks in public or digital cameras, etc.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

With the apple case I used to take my 64gb 3g everywhere and I wasn't too careful with it at all. I sold it in pristine condition. If Apple doesn't release a case I am very concerned with taking my ipad2 with me though.

16. jenn571 macrumors newbie

jenn571

Just don't lose it or forget about it. I work the customer service desk at a grocery store and 3 weeks ago our bagger who brings in the shopping carts at night came up to me with an ipad and said he found it in a shopping cart. I was like :eek: ! It was the first time I'd ever seen an ipad, much less touched one and it was nice! I put it away in our lost and found (locked in a drawer). I found out the next day the owner came back later that night. I'm finally going to get one (refurbished ipad) for myself and the kids just because of that one night. The ipad is pretty sweet!

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this

however, if you're able, just get a CCW. I rarely leave home with valuables and not carry.

18. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Not trying to flame, but really? A thread about this? What's the point of getting one if you can't take it with you anywhere you want? If someone is that worried they should sit at home in a padded sterile room and wear white gloves while using it. :p

19. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I carry mine around all the time. No big deal. It doesn't worry me. I don't leave it sit around, I keep it close.

20. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

1. Keep it in a case
    2. Don't be stupid (e.g. pass a cup of water over it on the dinner table)

I've carried my 64/3G everywhere since 4/30, and never had an issue. If something did happen to it, it would suck, but I would accept it as a consequence of the technology. If it bothers you that much, get insurance on it.

...oh in case you have not set it up yet - don't forget Find my iPhone (or in this case iPad). Since its a 3G, you can track that bad boy down with the magic of GPS and the internet. The service is free, avail yourself of it.

21. Cagle macrumors regular

afraid i'd look like a pleb. only place you wouldn't look like one is on a plane or at starbucks. everywhere else and you run the risk of people thinking you're a twat. :)

22. Davichi macrumors 6502

I am not sure what the brave means here.

Are you worried about someone will try to steal it from you or are you worried about dropping it and getting a dent?

iPad is a portable device. If you are not going to carry it, then why are you even buying it?

23. taeccool macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I go to school in Newark (don't live in there tho). Honestly I would be afraid take my iPad 2 out and play with it if I was in the light rail and Newark Penn station. As soon as I get away from Newark area, I would be ok to use it...

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I carry my 64/3G most everywhere that I go too... just not stupid on where I have it out in use. There are some parts of the DC Metro Rail/Bus system that I will not use it on...

Not as much as you might think... at least in major urban areas. My iPad rarely gets a second glance at the grocery store, or even a restaurant... even in smaller towns it seems to get over looked....

Well at least for myself it is theft... but then I have the Apple iPad case to protect it. Some of us just hate it when we ding up our toys... lived with a small corner crack on my original iPhone till I got my iPhone 4. LOL

25. bembol thread starter macrumors 65816

bembol

A bit extreme but that's the point I made. LOL

Not sure if it's where I live but I haven't seen too many out there. This is why I started this, is it Fear or they have Wi-Fi?

I get looks too, I always here comments like "it's just a bigger iPod touch, why bother."