After 3 years on TMobile's lame EDGE - Hello AT&T :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Feb 26, 2011.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of people hate AT&T but I really can't stand CDMA phones since I travel so much :)

I've been on Tmobile with an iPhone ever since they've been unlockable - solely for price conscious reason. Now, with the new AT&T plans I can justify the switch

Current Plan - Unlimited Talk, Text, 4G (which I can't use) - $79.99

New Plan

AT&T 450 minutes - $40
    Unlimited Text + Unlimited Mobile to ANY Mobile (best new feature ever!)- $20
    Unlimited Data - $30 (the store employee actually hooked me up and did it in store with a 2G iPhone I had)
    15% FAN discount

In the end my phone bill dropped $5 after tax and I'm still ahead. I can't recall the last time I called a land line anyways :) So - basically unlimted everything except landline calling for $75 after my discount :D I can't wait to use the iPhone to its full potential - enough is enough with EDGE. TMobile sucks for not being able to get the iPhone. It's been good - well, it's been ok - but now I'm leaving :D

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I also see a lot of people use iPhones on this other unlimited company that piggybags on tmobile's network called "Simple Mobile", but although they do pay only $60/mo for their services how do they manage to deal w/o 3G data speeds on an iPhone?

You have made a great choice, welcome to AT&T :)

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I don't know how I was dealing with it either - probably the unlimited everything plan and before that the family plan I was on. In any case, I'm just glad AT&T became more price conscious and is able to give the M2AM plan because I would not be able to work with just 450 minutes :p

Oh and if you ask nicely, the AT&T store employees actually helped you through the iPhone 2G trick to give unlimited data. It's good to see companies fighting over customers now :D

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Well alot of people hate ATT for good reasons. However I think with VZW getting the iPhone it has made ATT move.

In my areas I frequent I definitely see a change in my iPhones performance on the last month or so. There was an ATT tech at the university I work at implementing what he called 3.5 g and addressing congestion issues. I have definately noticed a huge difference.

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

6. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

Welcome! Sounds like you made out pretty good :D

7. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Don't forget that your minutes will be used when a landline calls you too incoming calls are not free

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I used T-Mobile years ago and I don't remember another carrier that was more unreliable. Glad you could make the switch to AT&T.

10. sorepheet macrumors member

sorepheet

Meh

Still waiting to see if T-Mobile gets the iPhone officially. I'm still rocking a 2G iPhone with EDGE speeds. I just love T-Mobile's customer service and how they've gone out of their way to hook me up w/ special plans and rates. Really hoping iPhone 5 is on their network, if not ideally the 3G chipset will be supported. Few more months to wait and see... not sure how much longer I can hold out. :confused:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wise move if u use data.
    To stay with Tmobile and be stuck with edge to save $10 a month is a waste and ruins the iphone experience IMO.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I used an original and iPhone 3G on T-Mobile for three years before switching to AT&T + iPhone 4.

Frankly, I only am on AT&T for the fast data. T-Mobile had much more reliable service for phone and I had no complaints, no dropped calls ever, and the cost was almost half of what I'm paying for AT&T and I had unlimited data (I simply didn't have the hardware to be on their 3G network). I miss T-Mobile :(

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Watch T-Mobile get the iPhone 5... Would you go back?

14. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Now you get to deal with AT&T's lame EDGE service :)

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you even read his post? Now he has 3G coverage... deal with it Verizon fanboy. Also, AT&T's EDGE is much, much faster than T-Mobile's on grounds that AT&T took 3 years to mature it work under Project Genesis. T-Mobile just set up towers and then rapid 3G radios and hasn't really done anything to their EDGE network... if any.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right:D
    At least AT&T's lame Edge service is faster than Verizons 3G:D

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

+1

18. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, definitely WAYYY faster and I finally get to tether to my MBP. Loving it! Service coverage seems to be much broader than tmobile too.:p:apple:;)

19. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Because his iPhone didn't support AWS bands (With AT&T hogging the 850 band it's not as if T-Mobile could easily get into their turf - look at how AT&T and VZW are monopolizing the 700mhz LTE band!)

Sounds like the user is more at fault than the company for once (WTF?!)

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you want to complain about to companies hogging down all 700 MHz, go complain to the FCC who allowed it so. Also, T-Mobile could only get the 1700 MHz for their 3G, but they do have the right bands for their EDGE. So, it's not someone else's fault that T-Mobile didn't spend on a good EDGE network.

21. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

T-mobile is pretty darn good where I live. When I went snowboarding out at snowbird, my friend with Verizon didn't get any coverage in the mineral basin, but I still had 2 bars.

T-MOBILE FTW