After 4 years I've had enough...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

First and foremost this is not a troll thread. I have been posting on here since 07 so I don't need to 'prove' any loyalty to the typical 3 year old fanboys... This is just an analysis from my experience. Now that that is out of the way.

The reality is I have just had enough of AT&T's voice quality and inconsistency. I travel upwards of 300,000 miles a year to almost every major city in the U.S. and I can testify to these inconsistencies for years. With the release of Verizon's 4G network I really could not take it anymore. Most likely the next iPhone will not have the LTE radio and dropped calls, not being able to make calls, call failed messages, etc... AT&T is just horrific with consistency. God help me Vegas can be the absolute worst. Yes, some cities can be OK but many are not and AT&T's 3G speed goes from 5+ mbps to .1 all the time. No consistency.

I decided to go with the HTC Thunderbolt. I was looking around and checked out the Charge and Revolution but liked the Thunderbolt the best. The lack of lag and speed of its radio is amazing. I was tethering today and was getting 18 mbps. The data speed is just insane. For those who use a lot of data and need a fast internet connection you cannot ask for anything better then LTE right now. I have personally seen as high as 34 mbps which, is incredible.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and talk about the differences between my many iPhones over the years and the new Thunderbolt if anyone is interested.

Just a few notes:

~Battery on the Thunderbolt is not nearly as good as the iPhone 4.
    ~Both phones feel about the same in speed when running apps.
    ~LTE network drastically takes the cake.
    ~Apparently you can overclock the phone to 1.9+ GHz, which is impressive
    ~Camera (8mp) takes higher resolution pics but does not deal with quick movement as well as the 4.
    ~Have not had any problems with the phone so far. (1 week to date)
    ~Apps are not as refined but this is no surprise.
    ~Thunderbolt does not appear to support compression of video to send over e-mail.
    ~Love the notifications and home menus on Android
    ~Love that dictation is implemented in every area where typing is needed. Really is fantastic and fast.

If anyone has any questions please ask but don't turn this into my phone is better then yours thread. I would much rather talk about the differences and where some shine and others do not.

BTW, after 5 days in Boston not one single dropped call. Before this I dropped about 15 calls on the iPhone 4 (AT&T)

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. collisos macrumors member

AT&T is pretty awful I must say. I don't even use the phone that much but I still notice how many calls get dropped. It's too bad, can't wait to go back to verizon.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Thank you for making this thread. I've had every iPhone but the 4 is by FAR the worst in dropping calls plus the yellow tinted display. Ive finally decided to let go of iPhone especially if Apple won't release a new one asap.

Im going to switch to an android but really want the Samsung galaxy S 2. Should I wait for that or the Thunderbolt?

What is the difference between the Thunderbolt screen to the 4?

Also, does the phone feel sturdy in the hand and not slippery like the 4?

Does the Thunderbolt have a nice white screen or a yellow/brown like the 4?

I also want to add where I live right now (Mission Viejo in OC) my 3GS gets 4 bars in my house. My 4 goes from 1 to 0. Sad.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Glad you are liking your Thunderbolt and Verizon. Must be nice to try something new.
    Here's my question: How do similar apps on both platforms compare?

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

...and when we get the next major iPhone revamp you'll be wishing you hadn't. :cool:

7. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

If you're a heavy user and tend to do things that are processor intensive, I'd wait for the SGS2 than go with the thunderbolt. While the thunderbolt is a decent phone, it isn't a great phone. If it came out last year at this time, it would have been top of the line. While it does get the job done, I think there are better options out there (If you're not worried about modding, you could go Droid X2 also).

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I def see myself going back to iPhone next summer. But if rumors are true and Apple does not release a new phone this summer or they do and its a minor upgrade, then I will go with an Android.

Im curious for the keynote tomorrow and really curious for the SGS2 (when does it release in the US though?)

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So your gripe isn't with the iPhone, but with AT&T. You can't really go comparing your old iPhone with the Thunderbolt. What you should be doing is comparing the VZW iPhone with it.

10. Fernandez21, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I don't know, currently I have an atrix that I'm using after I gave my wife my iPhone 4, and I hate it. Yes, the phone is very well made, it's fast, has a big screen, and great battery life, but android is just soooo bug I can't wait until the iPhone 5 comes out so I can dump this thing.

These are my pet peeves:
    1. I have to have an app killer and virus protection running on my phone at all times. And for those that you don't need the app killer, when I don't use it I have the phone notify that said app has been running for 45 min. And if I would like to force close, of course that after it used up 10% of my battery while it was in my pocket.
    2. Apps crash alot. At least 2 times a day I will have to restart my phone because one app or another crashed and won't relaunch unless I restart, it's a major pain.
    3. Apps. Yes, there are a ton of apps, but they're not as quality as the apps in the iTunes app store. Also I have downloaded apps that just completely bricked my phone and would then have to restore the device and set everything back up from scratch. Also there are other apps, like the Netflix app, which are available on android but not my handset, while this isn't a major pain it is annoying.
    4. The web browser. Yes it has flash which is it's saving grace, but overall it isn't anywhere near as smooth as safari, and the text reflow is annoying as hell, it doesn't auto zoom when you double tap, instead it zooms in an arbitrary level and reformats the text. While this is fine for text articles, when it's stories with pictures involved you then have to zoom back out to see the picture correctly then zoom back to read the text.

Those are the biggest issues I have with it that I never had those problems with my iPhone. Sure the customizations are nice, and the widgets are great, but just the overall bugginess of the phone just isn't worth the hastle.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

11. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

If VZW were THE last cellular provider on the planet, I'd go without a cell phone. I hope that company goes bankrupt one of these days.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Enjoy

Thanks for wasting my time this evening!

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Why waste more time making a useless comment?

Anyways, I really hope tomorrow some type of iPhone is announced with special coating on the side to prevent signal loss.

14. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I was expecting to read something worth my time as well... Slightly disappointed.

Enjoy your new phone. I heard it's a pretty good one. I know a few friends from the US that own one. They've had no complaints.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If Verizon was the last carrier on the planet, there is no way they'd go broke. More so, they are far from going broke right now, even with competition.

16. Vegastouch, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Have to admit, thats a good point but i live in Vegas and AT&T isnt very good here and why i dont want the merger to go thru. I like having SIM cards so i can switch phones whenever i want.
    Ive never installed an anti virus. Tried the app killer and deleted it. Didnt need that either. Im not a fan of Motorola phones. Should of got the Nexus S. Not sure it is on AT&T though.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would have waited for Galaxy S2 rather than going with thunderbolt...

But, enjoy your phone.

18. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

what kind of battery life do you get while using those insane 4G speeds? holy crap that's faster than my home internet. :D

19. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

If any cell phone company were the last on the planet then we'd all go bankrupt from the monopolistic prices

20. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

congrats - can i just add that maybe you were holding the iphone wrong?:p

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Verizon is just terrible. I'd try two tin cans and a string before going back to those clowns. :mad:

22. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Those speeds are all well and good but wait till the network gets more saturated with LTE capable phones and that speed with decrease A LOT.

James

23. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Samsung Galaxy S2 is with waiting for. The U.S. carriers are supposed to get them late July. And all the reviews say the S2 OS far and above the best Android device ever made. But then there is the EVO-3D coming too, and with the much improved Sense 3.0 UI, I think it will be the best Android released this Summer.

IPhone5 should be kick ass, but if you jeed a new phone soon, I would go with the EVO-3D.

24. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Everyone says ATT has bad service. I haven't seen that at all. Maybe florida just has better service than anywhere else?

I always have at least 4 of 5 bars and #G everywhere I go. Of course I don't leave Florida anymore. I have hundreds of thousands of air miles on me in the military and just don't need to see the far East or Europe anymore.

For me and most other Florida users, ATT is supreme.

25. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I'm in New Port Richey and have great signal and service all the time.