Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

athenacoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
labor for what? Putting it in a box and sending it Apple.

I guess I am trying to see what you get over sending/taking it directly to Apple

Simply Mac told me that they will replace the battery for me in their store. But due to Covid-19, the wait time will be at least 2 weeks.

They also told me this will be a few hours and a very complicated job.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
@jerryk it sounds like this Simply Mac place is an AASP and is doing the repair in the store. The AASP shouldn't be charging the customer additional money for the repair, that should be covered by Apple under the repair program and by charging the customer the store is double-dipping. It MIGHT be worth reporting the store to Apple, that might go against the agreement they have with Apple.

I've replaced a screen on a 2016 MBP, it's definitely not easy even if you do have all the tools (I am a certified tech for an AASP).

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3 and 0128672

athenacoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
@jerryk it sounds like this Simply Mac place is an AASP and is doing the repair in the store. The AASP shouldn't be charging the customer additional money for the repair, that should be covered by Apple under the repair program and by charging the customer the store is double-dipping. It MIGHT be worth reporting the store to Apple, that might go against the agreement they have with Apple.

I've replaced a screen on a 2016 MBP, it's definitely not easy even if you do have all the tools (I am a certified tech for an AASP).

This is definitely something that I didn't know about. I watched the ifixit tutorials and decided the battery replacement wasn't something that I could do.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"$40 is for labor. This is from Simply Mac, an Apple authorized repair service store."

You haven't told us "where in the world" you are.

Do you have an actual "Apple Store" nearby?
I don't mean a "3rd-party repair shop", even one "authorized" by Apple.
I mean a REAL Apple Store, owned and staffed by Apple employees.

THAT'S where
you should be taking it.

athenacoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
OP wrote:
"$40 is for labor. This is from Simply Mac, an Apple authorized repair service store."

You haven't told us "where in the world" you are.

Do you have an actual "Apple Store" nearby?
I don't mean a "3rd-party repair shop", even one "authorized" by Apple.
I mean a REAL Apple Store, owned and staffed by Apple employees.

THAT'S where
you should be taking it.

I am in Oregon, USA. Due to the COVID 19, most of the Apple Stores are extremely busy and I couldn't get an appointment with them till next Monday. I'm taking the MBP to a real Apple Store in Portland next Monday. I Will update you guys once I'm back. :)

Reactions: 0128672

athenacoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Just an update. Apple Store offered to replace the battery free of charge!!!! It was so kind of them. I explained the situation and the technician said they might be able to cover the repair cost.

I just received MPB in the mail today. Everything works well.

I'll do what everyone else was saying here: unplug 3 days each week and unplug at night.

Many thanks to everyone here!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just an update. Apple Store offered to replace the battery free of charge!!!! It was so kind of them.I explained the situation and the technician said they may be able to cover the repair cost.

I'll do what everyone else was saying here: unplug 3 days each week and unplug at night.

Excellent outcome, congrats!

macblokepro

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
same issue. Go talk to a genius and they will sort it out for you with the keyboard replacement programme.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Just out of curiosity, if one does send in/bring in a MBP for battery replacement (looks like for a mid 2012 non retina it will run $129) will the memory and hard drive (or ssd) be moved from the original MBP to the destination MBP base?

Very new to this Mac thing, so thank you for bearing with me.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Go back and have it done for the $240, that IS a discounted rate! Actually - that shop might be slightly taking advantage of you, I think Apple will do it for the flat rate of $199.

You say you're a "gentle user", but in reality leaving a laptop plugged in all the time could be considered more abusive than actually "exercising" the battery. 52 cycles over the course of 3 years is bordering on 1 cycle a month, that's just not good.

I agree with this. I run my batteries into the ground and do not worry about management of them at all. On average I replace them every couple of years.

Current MBP 15" 2019 battery has 583 cycles and is at 86% of original capacity.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just out of curiosity, if one does send in/bring in a MBP for battery replacement (looks like for a mid 2012 non retina it will run $129) will the memory and hard drive (or ssd) be moved from the original MBP to the destination MBP base?

Very new to this Mac thing, so thank you for bearing with me.
In the case of a mid-2012 non-retina only the battery is replaced as it can be removed. Actually, I believe even the Retina models through the 2015 model can have just the battery replaced.

Reactions: clueless88

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I agree with this. I run my batteries into the ground and do not worry about management of them at all. On average I replace them every couple of years.

Current MBP 15" 2019 battery has 583 cycles and is at 86% of original capacity.

One of the worst thing to do (besides keeping it plugged in all the time) is to drain the battery to near 0%. You should maintain the battery charge between 40-80% for optimal life time usage. Draining the batter all the way may explain why it needs to be replaced every couple of years.

Granted, some people find it a hassle to try to keep it between 40-80% and just replace them when needed. Which is fine. But if you want most our of your battery, it should be kept at 40-80% charge at all times, if possible.

Reactions: athenacoco

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
In the case of a mid-2012 non-retina only the battery is replaced as it can be removed. Actually, I believe even the Retina models through the 2015 model can have just the battery replaced.
The standard practice for retina models is a new topcase: keyboard, battery, trackpad all in one unit. They tell you to back it up in case something happens when they’re removing the logic board for example. As for a Mac with a removable battery, it should just be a case of a new battery. Should be backed up anyway, you never know.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
One of the worst thing to do (besides keeping it plugged in all the time) is to drain the battery to near 0%. You should maintain the battery charge between 40-80% for optimal life time usage. Draining the batter all the way may explain why it needs to be replaced every couple of years.

Granted, some people find it a hassle to try to keep it between 40-80% and just replace them when needed. Which is fine. But if you want most our of your battery, it should be kept at 40-80% charge at all times, if possible.

No, in my case it is purely based upon cycles. They last about 1000 cycles. I never get them to zero. I use it, charge it when I don't use it, and that's it. So if I use it for an hour then it gets to 90% and I charge it up. I've posted here a few times about my older 12" MB and I think I have 2000 cycles of usage through two batteries posted here somewhere. I'll change this MBP one probably in 9 months when it's down to 70%.

athenacoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Great tips. Thanks for sharing. I'm also trying to keep my new battery at 40%-80%.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Just an update. Apple Store offered to replace the battery free of charge!!!! It was so kind of them. I explained the situation and the technician said they might be able to cover the repair cost.

Catalina has a built-in battery management feature that helps keep your battery healthy and long lasting. Use it!

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Well if there are keyboard issues then if they do replace the keyboard that will also include a new battery.

I previously had a 2017 15” MBP that had a”service battery” message.
I mainly used it plugged in so I didn’t mind too much. Some of the keys did start sticking though so I took it into the Apple Store and they replaced the keyboard/topcase even with the service battery message and when I received it back I had a new battery in it with like 1 or 2 cycles.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
It looks like it depends on the model of MBP, since the 2012 non retina MBP has an easily accessible battery, Apple probably just removes and replaces the battery without touching the keyboard. That probably accounts for the price difference in battery replacement for some of the models.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It looks like it depends on the model of MBP, since the 2012 non retina MBP has an easily accessible battery, Apple probably just removes and replaces the battery without touching the keyboard. That probably accounts for the price difference in battery replacement for some of the models.
Yes, for systems where the battery is glued into the topcase the entire topcase is replaced with all the components that are built into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.