After a few weeks, how has the Black iphone 5 been holding up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ElliotJay, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ElliotJay macrumors newbie

I had a hard time deciding between the white and black model last month. I honestly wanted the black, but the whole scuffgate thing scared me. Since it's been a few weeks now I wanted an update or some opinions from the people who currently have the black phone. How have your phones been holding up with, or without a case? Have they remained relatively intact?

This my last week to switch.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Do we really need another thread on this subject. This must be the umpteenth one.

3. ElliotJay thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the search function and all the threads I found related to this were pretty old. I wouldn't have made this if I found the answer.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Don't let whiners stop you buying the colour you want. Look after it - and it will be fine.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's no excuse. Besides they can't be that old as its a very recent issue since the iPhone 5 hasn't been out that long. You could have just added to an existing thread and bumped it up. This is the problem with starting multiple threads on the same topic as people use the same lame reasoning for starting new ones.

6. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I've had mine without a case with no scratches.

7. ElliotJay thread starter macrumors newbie

That good to hear, I really don't want to hide it in a case but I might have to.

8. dammyonline macrumors member

dammyonline

Mines holding up pretty well though saw friends yesterday and it didn't look pretty so guess its down to personal use as with all things

9. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I originally purchased the white iphone on launch day, but I then changed my mind and wanted Black instead.

I spent hours worrying about the dents, nicks and scuffs that in the end I decided that my "want" overtook my "worry" and Apple sent me a black one.

The Week 36 one I received has a little discolouration on the antenna band, you wouldn't see it. Rest of the phone was perfect but I sent it back anyway.

Week 39 black that I now own, is flawless!! and I much prefer the sleek , stealthy black to the white garish panda. Never going white again!

10. viper3885 macrumors member

I don't have a screen protector or case, just a leather hip holster. Mine looks the same as the day it came out of the box.

11. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I have a Spigen (too tight) pouch and a Suncase Leather Pouch (from Germany = perfect)

I don't want to shove an ugly case on it. I prefer using it as naked as possible. The pouch is just to carry it around in so it doesn't get knocked about in my bag.

12. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I had mine since launch...with a bumper. The bumper has caused lots of pitting on the top side. my boy dropped it today and put a 4 mm sctract on the bottom edge....ouch.

Not bothered at the moment but i wouldn't want it to get covered in scratches.

13. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Just a few but honestly I don't give a ****. Phone still looks sexy. For all I care that scuff gate can scuff all over. I can't believe people have been crying about that stupid ****.

Attached Files:

14. ElliotJay thread starter macrumors newbie

15. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

my iPhone 4s is perfect after usng it for 8 months.

In the first week of iPhone 5, scratches already showing on the sides.

16. darster Suspended

My black iPhone 5 is even blacker now. :D At this pace, it will become invisible. I kid you not!

17. Merkie macrumors 68020

I have one scuff like that too. I dropped my phone on the bed, but there was a remote control which it fell one. A very small drop on a plastic remote control was all it took to damage it. Oh well. :eek:

The one I have is slightly right below the volume button just as on your photo as well btw, interesting.

18. Radiating macrumors 65816

I swiched from a white iPhone to a black one. I was also intimidated by scuffgate, but it's turned out to be a bunch of nonsense. If you go to the apple store and look at their phones they have been used really hard for a month and still look fantastic.

With extremely hard use there will be some very minor scuffs, but that's saying a lot. Extremely minor scuffs with hard use. Add a protective coating like a ghost armor matte protector and a Birchwood Super Black Gun Touch Up Pen and you'll be fine. Or you know just use it like a normal person and it will hold up for a year or two no problem.

Personally I'm going with the black one, with an Apple style ultra thin bumper (case 1449 black bumper) and ghost armor side protection and SGP steinheil front and back protection with their three peice matte gloss rear protection. It will stay pristine forever like that.

19. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Mine is holding up great in an incipio case (link below).

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Dual-PRO-iPhone-Packaging/dp/B0098FKHQ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350856279&sr=8-6&keywords=incipio+iphone+5

20. big samm macrumors 65816

Sides got a couple nicks but front and back are perfect because i have bestskinsever on front and back!

21. ElliotJay thread starter macrumors newbie

22. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Did you order it from Amazon?

23. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

It's not that big of a deal. It's not noticeable unless you stare at your phone for a good minute lol my scuff I believe they just happen by me just placing the phone on the table regularly. I hate cases.

24. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I have a few hairline scratches on the bezel that show silver mainly on the top and bottom

25. GP20 macrumors member

Did it come out of the box that way? Or did the wear marks slowly developed since you've had it?