After a swim: Speaker doesn't sound right?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by xDKP, Oct 23, 2016.

1. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I took a swim earlier today with my daughter and of course brought my Apple Watch Series 2, as it should be more than capable and it should be able to track some calories and activity.

This evening I think the speaker sounds a bit off and even the water sound check doesn't sound like it normally does (not by much but a bit?)

Anyone else having sound difference compared to pre-swim?

2. consultant_on_journey macrumors regular

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Water sitting on the speaker. Fairly normal for waterproofed devices. My S7 has a similar issues. You'll need something to force a column of air into the speaker holes and push the water out. Compressed air works fine.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Amazingly enough, Ejecting water from the speaker is a function that is built-in to the W series 2.

5. Zenithal macrumors 68040

That's very cool. Is there a video to demonstrate that? That's the first of its kind, isn't it?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

You mean the sound it makes when it activates the speaker in an effort to "blow" water out of the speaker hole?

Has it cleared up in the past... let's see... (checks time)... past twelve hours?

9. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

Yeah the blow-feature... But this morning everything seems to be better (dried up after almost 20 hours since the swim?)

Just seems a bit weird to be honest.

10. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I use the eject water function numerous times after a swim as sometimes 1 or 2 attempts doesn't clear it all.

11. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

Tried it at least four-five times in a row and it still sounded weird - Well it seems to have solved it self, but will have to test it out a bit further.. Thanks for the feedback

12. Julien, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No big deal. Water has a very high cohesion factor and even with Apple's fancy ejection gimmick a film of water can still be left covering the armature (speaker). As soon as it evaporates it will be fine.

13. broadbean macrumors 6502a

With my Series O, I found banging the speaker side a few times on a towel worked. Before then, I used to have close to zero sound and muffled taps for hours after around 30 minutes in the pool. Don't usually have this issue just having a shower.

14. angrytoothbrush macrumors regular

angrytoothbrush

EW no banging lets not do that, just in regards to life of your device lol. But I do the water eject multiple times and while Im changing I lay it speaker down on a cloth or towel and sort of lightly nuzzle it down into the towel so the fibers make a connection with the moisture and absorbs it out perhaps LIGHTLY flicking it in that direction if im not convinced its all come out, then do a water eject (really just to hear what the speaker sounds like)... I have 100% success with this method.

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

16. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

Okay newest problem - I have just found out that I am not able to use the microphone since my swim this Sunday... :eek:

I have tried restarting both my AW (and the iPhone just to be sure) and nothing helps... Have anyone tried this?

17. Playgear macrumors regular

Try activating Siri on your watch with the "Hey Siri" command.

18. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

Not working either... Every time i pres the crown and say something it just vibrates and writes "Could you repeat that"
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    Could this be a software issue of some sort, that could be fixed by a manual restore? It does seem pretty weird that no mater how high i yell at it, it doesn't get a single dot on the line of Siri (no sound notice on the watch at all)

19. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

I'm afraid the watch may not be as water resistant as apple advertises

20. xDKP, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

I don't know if it's the swim (the speaker issue solved it self) but it seems like an odd coincidence

Doesn't seem like a widespread problem though (haven't found any online evidence that it's happening to more people)

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Poppycock, an isolated failure that may or may not be related to water is no way evidence of anything other than a problem for the OP. Apple is likely using the same mic (armature) that is on the S0 and I have had mine exposed to water over 500 times since launch day.

22. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

yeah, it is shown doing things that it really can't do haha! But great show, great watch.

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Do you use your pre S2 watch for swimming?

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I still use a S1 and have worn swimming several times. In quoting my post I said "exposed to water over 500 times" which would be all but mathematically impossible with a S2.

25. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

far from mathematically impossible for the s2 to have been wet more than 500 times already. Examples:

Servers who constantly wash there hands and dip their hands in water to get a wet rag

doctors whom constantly wash their hands

nurses, see above

dishwashers (washing a lot of dishes to get the s2 but still)

aquarium employees

pet store workers

hair stylists or barbers

anyway you get the point. There are several ways that the watch could have gotten wet over 500 times by now. Washing your hands 3-4 times a day up to your wrists and a swim or two a day would rack that up quickly. Technically every time your arm comes out of the water during a pool workout and back into the water it is being submerged again. If that is the case you could do that in a few days if not less.